nervous about running?

Options
2»

Replies

• jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Just get out and start and try to go a little farther each day. Invest in some good shoes and have fun. Beware though running is addictive. My first 15k is this Sunday.

29509743.png
  • lmr0528
    lmr0528 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I started out with the C25K app also. I only did it halfway though before I wanted to just run and see how far I could go. Now I'm at 4.88 miles in 60 minutes. Just do it and don't worry about anyone else. You won't regret it.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    If entering zombie races are your desire, OP, there's even a C25K program called Zombies, Run! 5K.

I have this app...I love this app...

also...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1217573-so-you-want-to-start-running
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time with the thought of running and people watching me.
    What's the worst thing that can happen if they do watch you? They see you. In reality most of the population don't care what other people are doing. When I started running at 280 odd pounds I was convinced people would stop and point and stare. In reality no one did and if they did I didn't notice.

I wrote a blog post on this very thing. Feel free to look at it (link below) you don't have to though

Good luck

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/_Zardoz_/view/i-m-not-paranoid-it-s-just-everyone-s-looking-at-me-692765
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    you don't have to follow a program. it's running. go out there and run. run until you feel really tired, and then stop and walk. little by little you'll build endurance and stamina. you'll even learn how to intuitively pace yourself and say "yeah, i can hold this for 3 miles."
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Just get out there and do it!! I was like you. I have everything ready to go and was nervous to start. I never imagined myself as being a runner. That was about 4 months ago. Tomorrow I run my first 5K race! Yesterday when I was out running I kept telling myself that I can do this! That I AM doing this! Four months ago I wasn't able to run even a minutes and now I am running upwards of 35 minutes before I stop!
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I started running when I was 300 pounds. What I found was more support than anything else -- no one ever scoffed, no one ever said anything negative. Was I noticed? Of course, I was huge, it was hard to not be noticed. But most other runners never said anything or stared. The ones that did say anything were encouraging.

Now that I'm fitter and have been running for a long time, I try to follow the same philosophy. Having been in their situations,I'm thrilled when I see new runners or "out of shape" runners and walkers out there. They are taking the first necessary steps. And that's what matters the most. I don't ever go out of my way to say anything, but if a conversation starts up, I'll be encouraging and offer advice if the person asks.

Now, as far as getting out there. The hardest step is the first step. Even now, if I don't just get up and get moving for my long run on Saturdays, my brain can find a million and two excuses not to. But once I'm moving I'm moving and I forget all those.

The hardest run will be your second. The first one will be work and your body will be sore. But as you're strapping your shoes on for that second run...your body and mind will give you the "we just did this, and it was teh suk. You sure you want to do this again?" It gets easier from there.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

I'm really trying to get myself interested in more physical activities. I'm interested in running - it looks so fun! I'd love to be able to do the color me rad and zombie races! And it's low-cost, for me (I have a gym membership through my university -there's an indoor running track- and I live in a "granola" town where there are a lot of walking trails).

My problem: I feel so hesitant to start. I've researched some plans (The plans go like: 2 mins walking, 1 min running 7 reps, for the first few days and increasing intervals as the weeks go by). I have shoes, clothes, and an ipod full of music. I just don't know why I keep dragging my feet. It doesn't feel like it has to do with my laziness, as much as my anxiety. I have a hard time with the thought of running and people watching me. Has anyone else had this problem? What kind of motivation did you use?

I hate the thought of someone seeing me running. I'm slow, have poor form, and breathe like a wounded walrus. It is not something I'm OK presenting to the world. So when I run, I run on trails in the woods. There's no chance I'm going to get out in my neighborhood and put on that display.

It's not that there are no people in the woods - there's occasional people in the woods. Oddly enough, that has helped my running. As I'm shambling and wheezing and I spot someone else on the trail, all of a sudden my posture gets better, my strides get longer, I up my speed a little, I control my breathing ... and what happens after that is I think - well if I could do that for 30 seconds while someone was around, why can't I do it for 30 more when nobody's around. The existence of other people combined with my reluctance to "look bad" has made me a better runner.

As far as a program is concerned; I started with C25K. I did that for 3 or 4 weeks, then I downloaded Endomondo because I wanted to map my runs. First day out with Endomondo I didn't have my C25K timers telling me what to do, so I decided to see how far I could go before I had to drop to a walk. It turned out to be 2.5 miles ..
  • mbc_clover
    mbc_clover Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time with the thought of running and people watching me. Has anyone else had this problem? What kind of motivation did you use?

Honestly there are always people who will make fun of someone for what they are doing. May it be weight training, swimming, running. walking... The thing is tho, as long as you are out there doing it, trying and reaching for a goal you will find very very few actual athletes making fun. A lot of us have been there done that and at some point felt self concision while doing it. Its not a great feeling. But the feeling of hitting that goal or overcoming that feeling of insecurity is by far better than being the person who is just sitting out because of people watching.

Go for it! :) Running groups are a great way to make friends or find someone to help keep you accountable. I personally run with a buddy when both our schedules match up. The C25K program is a great way to fall in love with this sport without feeling overwhelmed and MapMyRun is a great free app so you can track progress.

Good Luck!
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Put on a baseball hat and/or sunglasses if you feel that people are looking at you. It might lesson your anxiety for the first few runs. Once you have been out a few times you will feel more confident I am sure. Good luck.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I think your interval method is a great way to start. I would always get knee pain when just went out and hit the street. I started slow and built up without the knee pain this time. I am in my own world when I run, I love it. If you have a smart phone get an app like Runtastic or RunKeeper. It will help track progress and motivate you to increase distance/speed. If you get an armband you can listen to the music on your phone and hear the distance and speed on the fly. Don't worry about anyone else, get in the zone!
  • Mewcenary
    Mewcenary Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    JFDI.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    I find if I think at all about others around me, I either increase my pace, or my running form suffers. You have to run for yourself only. I find just focusing on the path ahead, your form, and breathing, that the other stuff is not so much in my mind and it helps.

Best of luck!

Please start running if you want to. I never thought I would be running after a knee injury in my 20's and being so overweight. Now I am running, loving it, and looking forward to increasing my runs to start distance running.
  • amelialoveshersnacks
    Options
    tbh I walk, then when there's no cars/people around I run, and then walk when I see someone. I call it interval training lol. Maybe find a not so busy trail?
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of anxiety about doing new things. When I decided to be more active I went through the exact same thing you described. I decided to start out on the trails just walking. I did that for a while until one day when I was alone and I decided to run...just a little bit. I did that for a few days when I realized how silly I was being. I saw so many people of all ages, sizes and speeds out running and I was acting like a chicken, so one day I just decided to run whether anyone was around or not. It worked. When I passed by someone and they gave me the little "hey we're runners" head nod, I didn't disintegrate or anything. My advice is to not let your anxiety get the best of you. There is nothing wrong with taking baby steps to get where you want to be as long as you are taking steps.
  • shmulyeng
    shmulyeng Posts: 472 Member
    Options

Actually, I don't necessarily agree with that. When you start, you're doing so little running that specially fitted running shoes aren't really necessary. I ran in an old pair of cross trainers when I first started running in 2011. I didn't notice any issues until I was regularly running more than 3 miles and that had more to do with my toe nails turning black than anything else.

I'd suggest starting in a decent pair of trainers (sneakers, running shoes, tennis shoes, whatever you call them) and just keep attention on how you feel during and after the run. If you start to notice any kind of pain in your toes, feet, ankles, shins or knees then you'll want to head to the nearest store dedicated to running to have your gait analyzed and get a great pair of running shoes.

I agree that you don't need it day 1. But there's no telling when you need it. Most people that push it off only notice they need new shoes when something starts hurting. The only thing I regret in my whole fitness / exercise activity over the last year is that I waited too long before I bought new shoes.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options

Actually, I don't necessarily agree with that. When you start, you're doing so little running that specially fitted running shoes aren't really necessary. I ran in an old pair of cross trainers when I first started running in 2011. I didn't notice any issues until I was regularly running more than 3 miles and that had more to do with my toe nails turning black than anything else.

I'd suggest starting in a decent pair of trainers (sneakers, running shoes, tennis shoes, whatever you call them) and just keep attention on how you feel during and after the run. If you start to notice any kind of pain in your toes, feet, ankles, shins or knees then you'll want to head to the nearest store dedicated to running to have your gait analyzed and get a great pair of running shoes.

I agree that you don't need it day 1. But there's no telling when you need it. Most people that push it off only notice they need new shoes when something starts hurting. The only thing I regret in my whole fitness / exercise activity over the last year is that I waited too long before I bought new shoes.
    I can tell I need a new pair when I get that niggling feeling in my right knee later in the day after a run. It's why I suggested that the slightest pain should be reason to get thee to the running store. It's amazing how many new runners come in here complaining of full blown shin splints or other pains that pay attention to right at the start. Running shouldn't hurt other than the occasional muscle ache that goes away quickly. :)
  • SJKirk51912
    SJKirk51912 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    When I first started running I weighed 285. Was I concerned with what other people might think? Yes! Should I have been? Absolutely not!

If people want to think nasty thoughts then that's on them and I'm sure there are some who do. However, what I have discovered that people are more thoughtful and encouraging than I expected. Also, when I see someone who is not the "typical runner" but trying their best in my head I say "good for them!" I'm sure others do the same, and then there is going to be a whole group of people who don't even notice or think twice.

I started with C25K and loved it. However, I did not finish it in the time as I had to repeat a few days or weeks.

Also, remember that when you are running your head tries to give up way before your legs do! So don't let your head convince you that you can't do it because you can!
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I still have plenty to lose before my goal weight, so when I go running, I feel like people are snorting with laughter and thinking "That fat woman is no runner!" But I run anyway. I put on my headphones, power up some motivating music, and remind myself that this is my workout, not theirs, and the only person I need to worry about right now is me.

If you're running, then you're a runner!

If anyone thinks otherwise, they are pathetic and insecure.

OP: get a good pair of running shoes (ask for advice at a running store) and go for it!
  • bootssowhite
    bootssowhite Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    When I decided I wanted to start running, I told everyone I possible could that I was going to start running that week and to ask me about later. That provided enough social pressure to get me out the door that first time and once I had done it once, it was much *much* easier to motivate myself to run the next time. I just needed a little help to get started. And for the record, I was 270 pounds. I'm sure I looked ridiculous (and still do), but no one has ever said anything to me while I've been running.