Too Few Calories? 600-800?

Options

Replies

• jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Okay, I hit a big plateau that lasted for a few weeks. I was going to just give up out of frustration, and even made a post doing so. But I'll tell you what I did instead. I RAISED my calories. I started eating more, and do you know what? I started losing again. It was a big eye opener for me. It sounds so backwards, and every time I heard someone say "eat more and you will lose more" I didn't really believe them. Your mind tells you that you should eat less to lose weight, but really, that's not necessarily true. I reset my settings to lose one pound a week instead of two. I added about 500 calories per day to what I was eating, which is one extra additional meal per day. Now I've been eating roughly 1800 calories and between 70 to 80 grams of fat, and I am losing weight again. Before I was eating about 1200 to 1300 and my weight loss was stalled. And I could even eat more than that if I wanted as my max calories go just above 2000 when I exercise, but that is a comfortable amount for me. You HAVE to eat more. You will lose more weight by eating more and fueling your body. Eating 500 calories a day is not only risking your health, but it won't facilitate optimal weight loss.
  • FeefWV
    FeefWV Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hi Elliot:

I get the same message too each time I submit my diary entry daily. Since my retirement I have put on almost an entire person regarding my weight. Like you, I KNOW I eat a good diet (okay, sometimes I go overboard - usually when watching football with friends and family!) but I also try to watch what I'm eating. I'm limiting my sodium to 1500 mg daily and also watching my carb intake.

I think FIBER is one of the most important things one can have in one's diet. That's kinda hard to do being on the low carb regimen you are following. Maybe you can go to the Atkins site and see what they recommend. The nuts should do it though AND make sure you stay well hydrated at least 8 8oz of WATER daily.

Best of luck in your journey!
  • K_Emily_Ann
    K_Emily_Ann Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    i know a few people who have only consumed only 500 calories on th HCG diet... one lost 50 lbs in 4 ish months.,... and its been a year and she has kept it off........ its not the healthiest she didi take multivitamins .. the other lost 45 in same time and kept it off

Poor people,15-30 lbs of that loss would have most likely come from muscle mass. It is much harder to build muscle back than it is to retain it while losing. Ouch

^This. QFT.
  • Elliot315
    Elliot315 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your reply. I considered that. but I've done the math on all the food several times and I'm pretty sure I'm doing it correctly. I'm pretty much always eating one serving of food for every meal.
  • miniwheatxoxo
    Options
    Dude. You're 5'4" 175, you don't need to lose 20lbs. I'm 5'6" and when I was in the best shape of my life I was 172-176.

You need to do a body decomposition, not lose an inordinate amount of weight.

^^^^ This.^^^^ I know everyone has different goals, but you dont look "heavy" for your height and weight. I agree with the above.

I am a 5'3 female and couldnt live on 1200 calories per day. You may lose, but are you going to eat like that forever? If not, you will gain it right back.

You are setting yourself up for failure on 600calories per day. That is insane. Some of the best advice you will find is on here.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    5'4 175 lb. who wants to shed 25 to 30 pounds
    Going by BMI, a healthy goal weight for your height is 110 - 140.
    http://www.shapeup.org/bmi/bmi6.pdf

"Most weight loss occurs because of decreased caloric intake.
    However, evidence shows the only way to maintain weight loss is to be engaged in regular physical activity."
    http://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/physical_activity/index.html
    The app says that I should be eating 1200 calories a day to lose two pounds per week
    Since you have so little to lose (35 lb to get to a healthy goal weight), 2 lb per week is too much to expect.
    0.5 - 1 lb per week would be healthier, and as you get closer to goal it will be 0.5 lb or less.

My doctor & dietician told me to eat 10 x my goal weight in calories, so for you, have 1400 cal per day.
    That's _total_, not net. Ignore net, ignore exercise calories.
    I'm only eating between 600 and 800 calories per day, which I believe is rather low
    Yes, by about half what you should be eating.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Hi,I think you have been given some very good advice here. It might be worth putting your dets in here, this should give you your TDEE (how much you burn on a daily basis) & BMR (calories your body uses just to stay alive) you can then work out a sensible calorie deficit. - I think there is more info in the sexy pants link.

http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

Edit: Just put your dets into the calculator (no exercise) it gives 1716 as your BMR & 2060 as your TDEE so you can definitely eat a lot more and still lose weight - booom!

I'm glad someone posted this for the OP. It's really the best tool out there to figure out how many calories you should be eating.

As for the young 'anorexic' girl who posted earlier: I feel sad for you. I know you have an illness and I know that you don't know or don't want to beleive you have an illness. I hope a friend or close family member urges you to get the help you need before you end up in a hospital on a feeding tube.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,228 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the advise. Do you mean it's not possible to loose two pounds per week?

No, it's possible, I've lost 2 pounds already this week since monday. I eat between 650-900 calories.

and you're doing it wrong too.

No, I think I eat enough calories for my body. And I'm pretty healthy, I run a lot.
    I don't care what you think.
    Science will tell you that you're wrong.

It isn't opinion.. it isn't "What Trog thinks" either.

You're doing it wrong.

..but that's okay. Keep eating that little and we'll see you on the forums again asking why your period stopped or maybe why your hair is starting to fall out.

You do realize that your body needs calories just to exist right? I mean, like.. you know... for your heart to beat, or brain to function? Maybe hepatic functions?

Wait til you realize that your hormones are screwed up.

I'm trying to save you grief later... please understand that.

I don't really care if it comes across as harsh, you need to really... REALLY understand how WRONG you are.

Yes, I do realize that my body needs calories to exist which is why I eat 900 sometimes, my body really doesn't need more than that.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/518970-who-should-eat-500-calories-a-day?hl=who+should+eat+500+calories
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    lol, 500 calories.

Even my dog eats more than that.
  • dMonster01
    dMonster01 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    i know a few people who have only consumed only 500 calories on th HCG diet... one lost 50 lbs in 4 ish months.,... and its been a year and she has kept it off........ its not the healthiest she didi take multivitamins .. the other lost 45 in same time and kept it off

"I know a guy who knows a guy who didn't starve to death on 500 calories a day so now I'm an expert".

OP has admitted to not knowing anything about weight loss and is open and wanting to do things the correct and healthy way. If you're set in your own ways, great, don't listen to people who actually know what they're talking about, but don't inflict your ignorance on other people who are actually willing to listen.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    Regarding the BMI chart, 140 seems to me to be on the light side for a guy who is 5'4". My sister and mom are both around that height, on the slender side, and they weigh between 114-120. I would think a guy would be heavier than 140, unless he's really small-boned. After all, men have larger bones and more muscle mass. Don't BMI charts tend to favor smaller framed people?
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Some sort of strange Double Post???
  • RGv2
    Options
    Dude. You're 5'4" 175, you don't need to lose 20lbs. I'm 5'6" and when I was in the best shape of my life I was 172-176.

You need to do a body recomposition, not lose an inordinate amount of weight.

Not necessary. In my profile pic I am 5'6" 140-142 lbs. To look like that at 5'4" I would have had to get down to sub 130 lbs

Not necessary, but it's not necessary to drop 25lbs either. Eat right, do the work, and not worry about the scale is my point. I got down into the low-mid 160s and looked emaciated at 5'6", so it can really depend on how you lose it.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Regarding the BMI chart, 140 seems to me to be on the light side for a guy who is 5'4". My sister and mom are both around that height, on the slender side, and they weigh between 114-120. I would think a guy would be heavier than 140, unless he's really small-boned. After all, men have larger bones and more muscle mass. Don't BMI charts tend to favor smaller framed people?

My profile pic is 5'6" about 140lbs, does that look too slender for you? If you have a high BF% at that weight you may want to add some lean muscle but I am pretty happy with the amount of LBM and BF% here.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

Not necessary. In my profile pic I am 5'6" 140-142 lbs. To look like that at 5'4" I would have had to get down to sub 130 lbs

Not necessary, but it's not necessary to drop 25lbs either. Eat right, do the work, and worry about the scale is my point. I got down into the low-mid 160s and looked emaciated at 5'6", so it can really depend on how you lose it.

True, a lot would depend on his current LBM, and goal BF%
  • RGv2
    Options

Not necessary, but it's not necessary to drop 25lbs either. Eat right, do the work, and worry about the scale is my point. I got down into the low-mid 160s and looked emaciated at 5'6", so it can really depend on how you lose it.

True, a lot would depend on his current LBM, and goal BF%

I hate my phone....I meant not worry about the scale....

You answered as how I meant it, I just wanted to clear the statement up in case someone caught the mistake.
  • reachingforarainbow
    Options
    Carbs do not hurt you.... PS, you should probably also have more fruits and/or veg.

Grains have b vitamins and other good stuff... like fiber.
  • dMonster01
    dMonster01 Posts: 214 Member
    Options

"I know a guy who knows a guy who didn't starve to death on 500 calories a day so now I'm an expert".

OP has admitted to not knowing anything about weight loss and is open and wanting to do things the correct and healthy way. If you're set in your own ways, great, don't listen to people who actually know what they're talking about, but don't inflict your ignorance on other people who are actually willing to listen.

OK if or talking to me with disrespect... your a complete ignorant idiot... I didn't write I was an expert two of my friends did the hcg diet they lost weight there happy.... I never said in that sentence that they ate healthy either.. I was stating facts you deuch bag

Wow, I'm so sorry to have offended you. I'm so glad you could so maturely express your feelings about my comments.

If I was a "deuch" bag I would report you to the mods for name calling and the rude private message you sent me, but I am not, so carry on with your day :flowerforyou:
  • kaitlynlove312
    Options
    I said Learn to read..... get over it :wink: :bigsmile: and right cause your mocking my statement in the first place was so mature of you... :laugh: :flowerforyou:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,679 Member
    Options
    A subtle reminder of Community Guidelines on this subject:

3. No Promotion of Unsafe Weight-Loss Techniques or Eating Disorders

a) Posts intended to promote potentially unsafe or controversial weight loss products or procedures, including non-medically prescribed supplements or MLM products will be removed without warning.
    b) Profiles, groups, messages, posts, or wall comments that encourage anorexia, bulimia, or very low calorie diets of any kind will be removed, and may be grounds for account deletion. This includes positive references to ana/mia, purging, or self-starving. Our goal is to provide users with the tools to achieve their weight management goals at a steady, sustainable rate. Use of the site to promote, glamorize, or achieve dangerously low levels of eating is not permitted.
    c) Photos intended to glamorize extreme thinness will be deleted.
    d) Those seeking support in their recovery from eating disorders are welcome at MyFitnessPal. A growing list of support resources can be found in our Eating Disorder Resources page.

Feel free to discuss consuming an ideal amount of calories based on MFP guidelines. Any promotion or encouragement to eat VLCD will be deleted.

Regards,
    Ninerbuff