How do you resist junk food?

Options
I just started my diet 5 days ago. I had a 4 day streak and then today went awful.
I had a healthy breakfast and then got called into work last minute so since I didn't have time to make a lunch at home I got Subway (I got 6' ham&turkey with all the veggies so could have been worse!).
When I came home later my family had ordered me Chinese takeaway for dinner so I had that even though I wasn't that hungry.

Afterwards I realised there were chocolate bars in my house and I ate 4 of them all at once....
Chocolate is my weakness - I just love it so much and never in moderation. If I know there's chocolate in my house I HAVE to eat it all or else it's all I'll think about.

How do you guys resist junk food when it's right under your nose?

I'm going insane knowing there's still some chocolate bars left in the kitchen I just want to eat them so bad, I love chocolate so so much :(

Replies

• wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    You really have to just ask yourself if it is worth it if you don't have the calories in the day for it. If you are "dieting" and not changing your lifestyle, this won't stick so you have to find the will power in yourself to say no. Perhaps the calories from the chinese food could have been skipped so that you had the extra calories to eat the 4 candy bars. Otherwise, if a taste isn't enough for you, then just don't have it in your house for the length of time you think you need to keep your impulses under control.

Sugar is quite addicting to varying degrees, as carbs can be. So your body needs to "detox" if you are that addicted to it. Treat the chocolate as a drug if your cravings are so severe. If they aren't, then just fit the calories into your daily intake goals.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    BvMimkTIYAAtxww.jpg

Slowly but surely eat smaller portions of chocolate. Endulge once in a while. It takes time to learn moderation. Good luck.
  • leomcdee
    leomcdee Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I used to have the same problem, if there was chocolate or cookies or cake in the cupboards, I'd eat it all, regardless of hunger! I had a mini binge just the other day in fact, I bought some Biscoff Spread, and was just eating it outta the jar. In the end, I had to spoil the spread, else I knew I would just eat it all. It's like 2000 cals in a jar, so I couldn't let that happen.

Anyway, spoiling food is NOT the answer (so wasteful), but trying to work out why you must eat the chocolate is. Is it an addiction, a comfort issue? Do you eat to feel better, to alleviate boredom or anything else? While you work that out, I suggest not keeping any more than one single portion of it in the house. If the rest of your family want it, ask them to hide their stash away somewhere. That's what I've been doing and it works really well.
  • cookeylady
    cookeylady Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I know my addiction to carbs and sweets so I am choosing to not have them in the house, but I have the ingredients to make something if I want, so that is my scape goat, how bad do I want it...bad enough I have to make it? It is what works for me.
  • whirlygig35
    Options
    Which is more important - being healthy or eating six chocolate bars? Just keep the goal in mind.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    If you lack self control, remove it from under your nose...don't keep it in the house.

Personally, I enjoy "junk" food in moderation...but I can have a couple pieces of dark chocolate and call it a day no problem.

I would also suggest not trying to do a complete 180* overnight...actually changing your lifestyle and changing habits, etc takes a lot of time..I've been at this for two years and I'm still most definitely working on certain things. Baby steps...just be a little better today than you were yesterday...sleep well tonight in the knowledge that you'll be even more awesome tomorrow.

As time goes on, you look back and that's when you can actually see how far you've come...but too many people try to turn that aircraft carrier of bad habits around on a dime and it just doesn't work that way.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Anyway, spoiling food is NOT the answer (so wasteful), but trying to work out why you must eat the chocolate is. Is it an addiction, a comfort issue? Do you eat to feel better, to alleviate boredom or anything else? While you work that out, I suggest not keeping any more than one single portion of it in the house. If the rest of your family want it, ask them to hide their stash away somewhere. That's what I've been doing and it works really well.
    ^^^THIS!

It's OK, and normal to be tempted. But the bingeing aspect of it is a deeper issue than simply the fact that it is "junk food".

For me, it required seeking help. Depression and anxiety were part of the root of that problem.

Since then, sometimes I have a few chips or something like that. I log them. But I don't binge. I enjoy getting to have a little treat now and then. I think it is rewarding to allow oneself that.

But you have to want your health, physically and mentally MORE than you want to overindulge. Until you can actaulyl reason that out with yourself, and win that battle every time, it is hard, very hard.
  • blukitten
    blukitten Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Just say no. I know i know some are going to say its not that simple and that doesnt work for everyone, but thats how I did it. Was the same as you when I first started- would resist and resist then life would happen and I would eat badly-- but the more you say no- the easier it gets! Also these two things have helped me-- realize that you can have some junk food if you want it- it just has to fit into you daily calorie goal- maybe try like I did and only have a half or quarter of a serving so that you get the taste without eating the 4 bars of chocolate, get out the small serving and say yes- I can have this but I am only having this much and either throw the rest out or put it away- if you cant put it away without thinking about it - throw it in the trash! Also-- try to find things you like as much as the junk food that are healthy- like for me it was chocolate- so I started upping the cacao percentage in the chocolate I would buy until I got used to the 75% cacao dark dark chocolate that is somewhat healthier or atleast healthier than the milk or white varieties!

Just some stuff that has helped me-- you have to find what works for you though cause everyone is different!
  • vlmay1955
    vlmay1955 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Best advice I ever got:
    - Don't have ANY food in the house you can just pick up and eat - unless it's healthy. If it's not there, you can't eat it
    - NEVER go grocery shopping when you're hungry. Go just after a full meal. You will be much less likely to impulse buy
    - If you start wanting to eat something in between meals, chew gum. Or fix a low-calorie drink of some sort (tea, coffee, low-sugar sweetened drinks, infused water, etc.) A lot of times you think you are hungry when you are really thirsty.
  • RCRuhl
    Options
    I only eat whole unprocessed foods. But even so, I would still occasionally want a treat. So I learned to make some that weren't quite so bad. The only problem? I have a hard time saying no, just like you. And even healthier treats are still treats and should be eaten in moderation. However, when I reduced my overall carb intake, it was like a switch! I totally don't even crave sweets. And I have no desire to snack between meals. If I do, I eat a cheese stick and a dill pickle and I am good again. I don't know how you eat, but if you can try just cutting out all processed foods (no more Subway!) that's a start. If you are already there, try reducing carbs. Also, if you have to eat at Subway, they will make your sandwich into a salad, so losing the bread is already a win!
  • Amelia0471
    Options
    yea for junk food i just stopped buying it and stopped having it in the house. if i have a chocolate craving which i do get i buy a small bag of mini chocolate chips and make whole wheat oatmeal chocolate chip muffins
  • DeliVibes
    DeliVibes Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Your not going to believe it but after I wrote this post and just before I read all your answers I ate 2 more :( there's only 2 bars left now but I'll have to leave them because I know my dad will be so annoyed if I eat them all! I always tell him not to leave chocolate anywhere in my sight because I'll demolish it all but nevertheless it's alwyas in the same place and he always complains when there's none left and that they're bad for me!

Anyway, you're all completely right:
    I need to realise this is a LIFESTYLE change and it won't happen automatically overnight.
    I need to improve my willpower!!!!!
    I definitely see chocolate as a comfort food - while I'm eating I feel so satisfied but shortly afterwards I'm annoyed at myself.
    I could've skipped the Chinese if I'd known there was chocolate around and I could've have a subway salad.
    Also I'm gona look into buying dark chocolate if I ever have a severe craving.

I'm so upset at myself right now.. I'm never going to reach my goals if I carry on like this.
    I wish I looked like I did 4 months ago.. I NEED to lose those 15lbs.

I'm gona learn from the many mistakes I made today and hopefully the next few days I'll do better!
    I'm going to a party tomorrow so I'll hopefully resist junk food and set aside some calories for a drink or 2.

Thanks for all your motivation - next time I feel my willpower being tested I'm gona read back over this post!
  • RCRuhl
    Options
    I wonder, too, if you are eating enough? If you are eating enough of the right things, you should notice much less desire to eat things you shouldn't/
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    I have to have me some junk food. I eat a small bag of chips and I am fine. I love choc cake so I just buy a slice or two at the grocery store. If I had a whole cake I would keep going back for more, too much temptation. I agree with others don't have it in the house or at least don't have much of it there.
  • runeatrunlive
    runeatrunlive Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I just make sure that i don't buy any junk food and that I always have healthy food in the house that I can snack on without doing too much damage. If my OH brings home junk or if I want some junk when I'm out I make sure that it fits with my goals. I work off weekly rather than daily goals (it's working so far for me) and I just make sure that my weekly total is under the total that I would need to eat to maintain. I've lost weight every week so far doing this.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I just fit them in to my macros. I don't "resist" them. I've gotten moderation down pretty well, after almost 180 days non stop on my latest streak.
    I think my biggest thing has been to listen to my body's cues. If I'm hungry, I eat. If I'm eating a treat (ex: ice cream), I eat it slowly and enjoy it. If I want another, I check my macros to see if I can, and eat it if I am still hungry. It's trial and error, but you can get the hang of it.
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Technically, you could incorporate a snickers with every meal if you have the calorie budget for it. I usually make room and budget within my calorie range for cookies, ice cream, chips or beer. I don't do this daily or even weekly but if the mood strikes I go for it.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    After a while, I just feel like I've eaten all the "bad" stuff. I know what it tastes like and it's not that wonderful. Not good enough to make me miss my goals over. If I "need" something like that, I do my extra time on the bike or sacrifice something else.

Like today: I needed (a lot of) wine, so I biked 10 miles first. :)
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    Options
    I choose to eat with purpose! I eat to nourish mu body, grow my muscle, and sometimes for the pure enjoyment of what I am eating. I savor every bite, I don't inhale! I make things I love last as long as I can. A small bite is good as a big one. I don't rush to swallow, my stomach can't taste it! If it is something I am eating for pure enjoyment I have a set amount I will eat and stick to it!

It comes down to choosing to have power over food, not giving food power over you!