Anyone run at night?

Options
2»

Replies

• melissay28
    melissay28 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I go out at night too. I live in Hawaii and the part of the island I live on is in the 80's+ pretty much year round during the day.

Along with what others have suggested here think about not going at the same time every night, switch your route up some if you can (I do a loop around the neighborhood sometimes & zig zag thru the streets in the neighborhood other times), carry pepper spray & get a good quality one! My stepdad works in security and sends me Fox Labs Five Point Three Pepper Spray. He has also sent Mean Green, which has a green dye added to it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I don't really run...but I do walk and I frequently walk at night. I eat dinner rather late...usually around 8:30 or so and I enjoy a nice 30 minute walk afterwards and many nights. I feel pretty safe in my neighborhood and I've never had an issue. Just be vigilant and aware of what is going on around you.
  • Maryam2014mfp
    Options
    In addition to what has already been said, be careful of cars coming in/out of their driveways and get a whistle that you can easily grab and blow if you run into a bad situation.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I prefer to go out after dark. I've actually always felt safer. These days I have a nearly full grown German Shepherd with me, so I feel pretty secure any time of day.

My biggest piece of advice is to NEVER assume that anyone sees you. Walkers, runners, bikers, and especially drivers. Even with lights and reflectors, you will not be seen. Not due to visibility, but due to inattention. I can't count the number of times I have had near misses with drivers who don't look before making a turn, or who pull across the sidewalk or crosswalk when approaching an intersection. Drivers turning left are especially dangerous. Unless you have made eye contact and gotten a wave, assume that they are not going to yield to you, even if you have the right of way.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    I run at night all the time. Only you can judge how dangerous your neighbourhood is crime wise. The biggest danger is not being seen by cars a lot of areas I run don't have street lights. I wear a reflective top a head torch and a red led as well. You can never be too lit up.

true dat! lol :drinker:
  • midnight419
    midnight419 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I usually run between 9-12:30am and have for years. Only you can gauge whether it's good idea and what gear you'll need. I don't find it necessary to use any special gear such as a head lamp, reflective gear, or light, but it's well lit where I live and run. I only bring the same things that I run with during the day: keys, maybe water, and maybe my phone.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    infrared googles, a flak vest, and locked and loaded. That's the only way I run at night. #creepycreepersBcreep'n
  • alligatorrawr
    alligatorrawr Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I used to run 5 miles everynight. I chose my routes on distance of sidewalk from street/ and that it was well lit. The only spots where it was dark was in my my neighborhood where it was very safe at the time, and a fairly small stretch in the middle if my run. Which just pushed me to run harder at the spot! and if you get bored with the same route, I would do different things on different days. Couple nights I would pace myself between street lights (going to sprint as hard as I can between this set, recover the next set, normal pacing, ect) or one night a week see if I could beat my time and so on. Then when it rained it was the greatest thing ever haha! I think at the time I only wore reflective shoes, but I was 18 and kind of stupid, and the town was a lot smaller. If I were to do it now I would at least wear a reflective belt, but like I said I tried running in parks, or on sidewalks with a lot of distance from the street or a good barricade. ( I ended up chosing downtown because of the lighting but the drinking made me feel uneasy along the roads) sorry I rambled pretty hard on that.
  • alligatorrawr
    alligatorrawr Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I love running at night. Safety wise, I feel fine in my neighborhood. I have a vest but hate wearing it. I need to get different relfective gear.

I have a simple belt that you wear around your waistline it's stretchy as crap too so you hardly notice it. it's pretty handy :)
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    When I'm back in Florida, the only time in the summer I can do any sort of mileage is before/after the sun goes down, so I pretty much do all of my mileage now at night. Still, I live in a seasonal neighborhood, so I'm usually only encountering a car every mile or two for most of my run. When running on the street, I always run in the direction of traffic as I can see them/they can see me (and worst case, I can jump on the sidewalk), and I'll always wear light colored or fluorescent clothing. The ASICS light-show line of shoes is pretty good for that as well if you are an ASICS enthusiast.