So thin or huge you only get 2,300 sodium a day

Options
This makes it easier for someone thinner to reach their sodium goals since they have less to eat. But for a big guy like myself, I have to eat more, but still stay under my sodium.

Life is unfair at times. :(

Replies

• BramageOMG
    BramageOMG Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    If you do not have high blood pressure or pre-high blood pressure, its not as concerning. I had high blood pressure for 20+ years. Once I lost 40 lbs, BP went to normal AS LONG as I keep sodium close to 2300. I go over, its hard not to, but the reality is: Many people eat 4X and 6X the recommended sodium.
  • jamilynn_8890
    jamilynn_8890 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I find it a lot easier to stay under my sodium limit if I make a lot of things myself and avoid processed/packaged stuff.
  • liftnlove_
    liftnlove_ Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Just do the best you can. You may find that the way you eat changes and evolves as you go along. Don't make it too complicated or you'll get discouraged. Calories matter more than anything else. Eat a little less, move a little more...don't get overwhelmed. You got this ;)
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    Just do the best you can. You may find that the way you eat changes and evolves as you go along. Don't make it too complicated or you'll get discouraged. Calories matter more than anything else. Eat a little less, move a little more...don't get overwhelmed. You got this ;)

+1
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I find it a lot easier to stay under my sodium limit if I make a lot of things myself and avoid processed/packaged stuff.

This and not eating out will help. Since I'm in the 50+ club - I try to limit my sodium to 1500. It is pretty easy to do when I eat clean and healthy.
  • dhaemon
    dhaemon Posts: 110 Member
    Options

This is what I'm going for. Calories in - Calories out. Maybe...just maybe eat a little healthier along the way! :)
  • Fit_in_Folsom
    Fit_in_Folsom Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I was just told to get my Blood Pressure down or the doctor was going to start me on BP meds. Not something I wanted. I went from 144/90 to 124/84 in one week by watching my sodium (1500-2300/day), drinking water, exercise, and slowly losing weight. I think salt makes a huge impact on water retention, BP, and other things...

I am focusing on 2300/day or less going forward....
  • ButterflyEl
    ButterflyEl Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I find I rarely (if ever) hit the sodium level..

I don't know if UK food has less salt in it than in other countries or if it's just because I cook most of my meals from scratch (but I still eat processed snacks etc and I'm no saint and have pizza/fast food about once a week atm) but I am puzzled by the fact I seem to eat so little salt. I'm surprised that other people find it low tbh.

Now carbs are another matter... I made a conscious effort to try and reduce my carb intake and all that's happened is it's actually increased to even more above where it's supposed to be!

I never get enough protein either. I'm curious, people that find the sodium level low, do you get enough protein? Are protein rich foods high in salt?
  • dhaemon
    Options

I don't know if UK food has less salt in it than in other countries or if it's just because I cook most of my meals from scratch (but I still eat processed snacks etc and I'm no saint and have pizza/fast food about once a week atm) but I am puzzled by the fact I seem to eat so little salt. I'm surprised that other people find it low tbh.

Now carbs are another matter... I made a conscious effort to try and reduce my carb intake and all that's happened is it's actually increased to even more above where it's supposed to be!

I never get enough protein either. I'm curious, people that find the sodium level low, do you get enough protein? Are protein rich foods high in salt?

Wow, 99% of the time I am under my carbs.
    Oh and I'm not getting enough protein....I'm still getting used to being on a low calorie diet
  • dhaemon
    Options
    Oh and just a FYI, I had my BP checked and I have great BP.
  • Fit_in_Folsom
    Fit_in_Folsom Posts: 220 Member
    Options

I just started watching my sodium, but I find that some of the less healthy carbs are loaded with salt. I try to eat more protein/less carbs, and that has helped with my sodium. I am sure everyone is diff. I find my proteins are way less in salt.
  • jamilynn_8890
    jamilynn_8890 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Oh and just a FYI, I had my BP checked and I have great BP.

If your BP is good then I wouldn't be too concerned about going a little over. Just be sure to drink enough water.
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options

This is what I'm going for. Calories in - Calories out. Maybe...just maybe eat a little healthier along the way! :)

Agree 100%. Focus first on getting your calories sorted. Over time you can start making adjustments on macro and micro nutrients as needed. Keep it simple and make small changes.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Really? I have trouble REACHING my sodium goal. I also have low blood pressure, so I should be having extra. I supplement with sodium tablets.
  • knoelledi
    knoelledi Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    My BP is high. Cut my sodium to under my goal most days and it's still high. I joke that when I was fat and happy I was healthy. The minute I lost the weight (the first time) I had one issue after another. My BP is 150/98 on a good day. The doc says everything else is fine so I'm not on meds for it.
  • Kate7294
    Kate7294 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised how often I go over my sodium. Since I'm not one to salt my food with two exceptions : homegrown tomatoes and when I make gravy ( which I haven't made since starting MFP) . Husband brought sausage for me to make gravy this weekend. :( I haven't had sausage either.
  • ButterflyEl
    ButterflyEl Posts: 29 Member
    Options

I just started watching my sodium, but I find that some of the less healthy carbs are loaded with salt. I try to eat more protein/less carbs, and that has helped with my sodium. I am sure everyone is diff. I find my proteins are way less in salt.

I suppose the carbs I do eat (which I eat too many of!) tend to complex carbs like brown bread (I swear I have a toast addiction), brown rice, new potatoes etc because I genuinely prefer them to their "white" counterparts..
    I have to try my best to avoid simple carbs in general especially if they also are high sugar like pastries, cake, chocolate because as soon as I start eating them I eat a lot of them and find it hard to get away from them again..
    I suppose you're right in that those foods tend to be the high salt ones and I suppose in avoiding them I'm avoiding the salt.

What may be a stupid question- can you eat too little salt? I've had my blood pressure checked (several times, I used to get dizzy spells with loss of vision on standing when I was younger) and it's always been fine so if that's not low can it ever be a problem not eating enough salt? Is there a minimum level anyone knows of?
  • bloodofareptile
    bloodofareptile Posts: 47 Member
    Options

Sodium isn't required information on packaging in the UK, so you are possibly getting more than you think.
  • GuyIncognito123
    GuyIncognito123 Posts: 263 Member
    Options

It does. I remember when KFC opened up there and they had to change their recipe because they were over the legal amounts allowed by law.

In Canada they set it at 2300 but from what I understand, they are working to get it changed to 1300.

Not all processed food is high in sodium - just look up any fish from the seas... 8 oz will probably have about 500mgs worth.
  • Cheryllynnhagen
    Cheryllynnhagen Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I just started on Sunday and couldn't believe how much salt I was pouring into my body everyday. Cup of Soup with added chicken broth and water, ham for lunch, something with salt for dinner. And that was what I was aware of at the time. No more noodle soup and eggs for me. This has been a real eye opener for me. I truly think this will finally be the thing that does work for me.