weight watchers and MFP

Options
so i am thinking about joining WW...but wondered if other people on this site are members as well?? I know that WW doesnt really focus on calories...its more of a points system. i just really like the idea of going to meetings and being held accountable on the scale.
so if you are a member of WW...how does it work in conjunction with this site?? do you like it??
thanks!

Replies

• sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    I have done WW before. Lost 40 p[ounds that way. WW is a good plan. I do think the meetings are a little boring. Sometimes you get a good speaker and it is not so bad. I do think that it would be hard to have to track your food TWICE. Once by points and once by calories on MFP. You could give it a try. It does work and some people get a lot out of the meetings. Personally, I am happier on MFP. Luck to ya! Also MFP is FREE! That's a plus for sure.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    I'll save you the money and keep you accountable on here! Plus, to my understanding, WW is the same as MPF just more complicated because of their points system. Let me know what your specific goals are and I'll check in with you periodically to see how the progress is going. Mine are on my profile and I can always use another person to keep me honest to them). Good luck.
  • xTry2Defyx
    xTry2Defyx Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I did the free trial of WW and didn't like it at all. The site is confusing and I felt like I was only keeping track of my "points" but while on this site, I'm keeping track of my fat, calories and carbs. I think they actually share the same concept (Letting you know how much you're supposed to eat to obtain your goals). MFP doesn't charge and I feel like it's easier to use. I canceled within 2 days of the free trial of WW and came back to MFP.

Obviously my opinion isn't the consensus though! I know plenty of happy people on WW, but they don't use both since they're so similar. Either way, good luck! :)
  • elainegsd
    elainegsd Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I've been a WW member for over a year now and have been on MFP for about five or six months. I have a great WW meeting that I attend each week, and get great support there. I kind of alternate between tracking points and tracking calories, depending on how frazzled I am at any given time (a few weeks on calories, a few on points). I like the ideas on MFP... different ways of working out, recipes, etc., and it is a different type of support.

I have had steady weight loss until recently, and have noted that even though the scales have been steady since early December, I'm suddenly getting lots of people noticing my weight loss, so I think everything is kind of reorganizing now. Anyway, the combination is definitely working for me.
  • sexylonglegs
    Options
    i just quit WW because i can't afford it.
  • cathych
    cathych Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I am considering quitting ww because they just revamped their points system (it is now called pointsplus) and everything counts different than it used to. For instance, you can eat as much fruit as you want, it is a 0 food, and so are veggies. Everyone knows that fruits are loaded with calories, so a lot of people are gaining weight on this system, including me. My leader seems to think that I am doing something wrong, but I am not. Plus, it costs $39 a month to do. That is a lot in my book.
  • jchecks
    jchecks Posts: 133
    Options
    thanks all for replying! i was just tossing the idea around...i think the biggest thing that attracted me was the meetings and just devoting an hour to listen to people talk about weight loss.
  • klish
    klish Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    So I've heard from numerous sources, no experience myself, but that weight watchers is really easy to make some personalitys obsessive! Aren't we all here because we are a little obsessive over food. Just what anyone needs another reason to think about food all day!
  • IrishChik
    IrishChik Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I did WW years ago and made lifetime. Weekly meetings then were $9, but I paid $5 through a scholarship.
    I think its about $11 a week now, but they offer packages.

I think the meetings are great for face to face interaction. Counting points is just a different way of counting calories.

It really is what you can afford and what your preference is.

TOPS has F2F meetings, and the charge dues of about $20 a year. You are allowed to follow any diet, it is not required to follow the exchange plan they use from the ADA. I like my meetings, loved the savings, but could no longer go on the night they had meetings due to school. Other meetings are hours drive for me. No thanks. LOL

If you like the point system, online is only $20 a month.
  • smalltowngirl504
    Options
    I am on WW currently, I do NOT like their new points system,...the ladies on the message boards there can get very mean.. I think its a waste, but I am stuck for 3 months!!!
  • jmbender4
    Options
    I have had success on WW, but with 2 kids found that I could make better use of my time at the gym. I also found the meetings a little boring. It seemed there was always a sales pitch for one of their new sugar free products.

The bottom line to the WW plan is eat foods that are high in fiber and low in fat. You are fuller and thus eat less. However, in the old plan you could eat high fat foods and then just be starving the rest of the day because you were out of points.

Good luck, it wouldn't hurt to stop in a meeting. I think your first meeting is free !
  • pghfan
    pghfan Posts: 119
    Options
    I have gone to WW on and off for the last 23 years in three different cities. At first, I was going with friends that I worked with, which was fun. We kept each other accountable at work and always went out for a little splurge after the meeting. That is when I had the most success with the program. My more recent attempts were not as successful, the meetings here are BORING and I found it very hard to stay motivated. AND it gets more and more expensive. I think I'll do just fine on this site. Best of luck and keep us posted on what you decide.
  • Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    I'm a WW member, joined a few weeks ago & I track using the WW pro-points and here on MFP. That way I get a rounded view of what I'm eating. It only takes a couple of extra minutes a day to track both.
    I've found I need the face to face weigh in & encouragement.