Shocked at the amount of calories in food

Options
Since I've really never paid attention to calories...I am SHOCKED at how many calories are in the foods I would eat before being more concientious! It's really scary! I mean a ceasar salad has a lot of calories and I thought that would be something good to eat! It's also good to find out that some things that I like and enjoy eating aren't so bad! It's a give and take, but I really am shocked! As if there wasn't enough thought going into my selections lately! LOL

How many people were also shocked to see just how much intake of calories they were getting before!

That in itself is making my decision for joining make more sense...I honestly probably wouldn't have been looking it up on my own!

Replies

• Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    I always tell people who are overwhelmed at the thought of trying to lose weight, exercise, track cals, etc. to just start out by tracking everything you eat for a couple weeks. It is truly shocking isn't it?

Welcome to MFP..and remember that you can always find healthier versions of just about everything you love that is bad for you!
  • helloiloveukitty
    helloiloveukitty Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    for me finding out what real normal healthy portions were was shocking. and as dumb as it sounds realizing how terrible fast food was, I mean I knew it wasn't healthy but I had no idea just how poison and excessive it was.

so glad its different for me now
  • eamartin
    eamartin Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Since I've really never paid attention to calories...I am SHOCKED at how many calories are in the foods I would eat before being more concientious! It's really scary! I mean a ceasar salad has a lot of calories and I thought that would be something good to eat! It's also good to find out that some things that I like and enjoy eating aren't so bad! It's a give and take, but I really am shocked! As if there wasn't enough thought going into my selections lately! LOL

How many people were also shocked to see just how much intake of calories they were getting before!

That in itself is making my decision for joining make more sense...I honestly probably wouldn't have been looking it up on my own!

I was VERY shocked when I first started. If I opened my diary you would see that the first couple days I was WAY over calories for the day!!! But you live & learn!! =)
  • chandy85
    Options
    Haha I so know what you mean, it's so depressing sometimes! But it's interesting! I've been calorie counting for nearly 3 weeks and have noticed such a difference but when I see how many calories there are in my favourite foods I'm not surprised I'm such a heifer!

I've always known Caesar salad is pretty calorific but I think it's the dressing and the croutons, the best bits essentially haha, but I've been making turkey salads for work- I use turkey breast meat, a mix of lettuce leaves and some low cal dressing (vinaigrette is best?) and I've found some crisp breads that work really well as croutons if you crumble them over the salad.

Not the same but still quite tasty!

I'm trying out a tiramisu recipe this weekend using quark instead of marscapone- its less than half the calories and fat - happy days!
  • peggybrant
    peggybrant Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I was totally shocked by how many calories were in pasta. I knew carbs were high but never realized how high the calories were. Of course my favorite food 'was' mac and cheese
  • liscar
    liscar Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    for me finding out what real normal healthy portions were was shocking. and as dumb as it sounds realizing how terrible fast food was, I mean I knew it wasn't healthy but I had no idea just how poison and excessive it was.

so glad its different for me now

Right?! I drove by a fast food restaurant the other day and people were lined about around the building for the drive through.....I thought "one trip there would be my WHOLE day's worth of calories!!!! No wonder everyone is overweight!"
  • jas001
    jas001 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Very very shocked when I first started tracking my calories. I knew I was eating more then normal, but when you looked at the calories for a couple big meals, it was intense to see how high everything was!
  • chandy85
    Options
    I was totally shocked by how many calories were in pasta. I knew carbs were high but never realized how high the calories were. Of course my favorite food 'was' mac and cheese

arghhg i still look at packets of macaroni and cheese- i know that the calorie content is still going to be high but I can never resist it =/ I had a really nice spaghetti carbonara earlier for dinner which was under 400cals for the portion- long live Marks & Spencers!
  • fitinyoga14
    fitinyoga14 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! Each member on this site is going through a 'live and learn' process. Its shocking at first, but the more loyal you stay to mfp, the more you will learn about food, nutrition, fitness, and your own body's needs of course!

Some things to keep in mind:

Carbs and proteins contain 4 calories per gram while alcohol has 7 and fat has 9! That being said, fat is going to have the most calories for the volume. Choosing fats with essential fatty acids are a great way to ward off cravings! They keep your body satisfied so you won't be craving a cheeseburger the next day. Example: choose chopped walnuts as a salad topping with a low fat dressing as apposed to cheese and caesar dressing. Both have a decent amount of calories and fat, but the walnuts have essential fatty acids while the dressing is saturated fat (which is not a nutrient.)
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    I almost cried when I found out how many calories are in Panera Bread sandwiches. I love them and I always thought they probably weren't too bad so I ate them all the time. I haven't had one in almost a year.
  • girl_brett
    girl_brett Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Even when in your mind you think you are eating a healthy meal and then realize that it was even close to a healthy meal! I am determined to get healthier and I have seriously cut back on servings...I mean there would rarely ever be left over food on my plate and in the past 2 weeks...more so noticeable this past week I would leave a good amount on the plate! Glad my stomach is finally adjusting I guess!
  • cclala
    cclala Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Yep. I found MFP about 2 months into my new lifestyle, and one day I logged what I used to eat......2,000 calories, easy. Without even thinking. A handful of M & Ms after lunch, 200 calories worth of olive oil on my salad...

MFP is an amazing education tool as well as management plan. I'm so glad I woke up when I did!
  • cclala
    cclala Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Even when in your mind you think you are eating a healthy meal and then realize that it was even close to a healthy meal! I am determined to get healthier and I have seriously cut back on servings...I mean there would rarely ever be left over food on my plate and in the past 2 weeks...more so noticeable this past week I would leave a good amount on the plate! Glad my stomach is finally adjusting I guess!

Serving size is a factor, but it's also type of food. For example, 1/2 a slice of domino's pizza is not nearly as filling as an entire whole wheat pie made from scratch and they have the same calories!
  • girl_brett
    Options
    2000 calories easy would be putting it lightly in my case! SCARY!
  • girl_brett
    Options
    Good idea about the homemade whole wheat pizza...my boyfriend likes making pizza so I will suggest that!
  • pgp_protector
    Options
    Just wait tell you start watching your sodium levels to boot :D You'll be doubly shocked. I've been under my cal goal without much issue, but staying under sodium is hard.
  • jennylynn84
    Options
    Its just shocking to me how badly I ate before. I really didn't assume it was THAT bad. For example, I knew that eating Papa Johns pizza regularly wasn't good. I knew what we ordered was definitely not good. But 400+ calories a slice (I've looked it up)? I NEVER would have thought. Then think I was eating easily 3 slices, with the butter and usually a good bottle of wine.... I ate EASILY what I eat in a full day now in about 30 minutes.

When things like this hit me I alway think "OMG! No wonder I had over 80 lbs to lose!"

What was I thinking? I'll never know.

Yes though - salads are the sneaky little a-holes that pop in from restaurants for like 1500 calories. Really salad?! WTH?
  • fuzzymel
    fuzzymel Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    It has been the biggest eye opener thats for sure
  • Mdbondurant
    Options
    :noway: I am on the shock wave board here too! I have been moderately counting calories a while, but when I learned that a Whataburger breakfast taco had more than 400 calories, I knew then why I am struggling so bad. I used to eat 2 of those for breakfast!!! Whataburger breakfast taquitos are not your backside's friend!:noway:
  • itzamos
    itzamos Posts: 24
    Options
    I think it's depressing how little food one needs to consume in order to lose weight. The equivalent of four bagels with light margarine a day? Really?? I have to work out for an hour just to be able to eat a sensible dinner. ::sigh::