Wow, some people

Options
So, I was dating this guy. I asked him why he was attracted to me and he said "Once you lose the weight, you're going to be a knockout and I want to get in on that on the front end, plus you'll have to beat guys off with a stick and I want that to myself." When he initially said this, I didn't know how to take it. I chalked it up to honesty but it still made me a bit upset. As the relationship progressed, other things came out. He has an obvious problem with alcohol. There's a bunch of insecurity, mainly over me having more education than him and a better job. He broke plans with me more than he kept them. When I needed someone there he was less than a stellar partner but I needed to be there for him whenever he needed me. Basically I felt like he wanted a kept woman while he went out and lived his life. After his last plan breaking, I decided it was over. I broke up with him. Then I got to thinking about all this other stuff. I mean, telling me I'll be a knockout once I lose the weight is kind of degrading. What about the other qualities of a person? None of that was ever mentioned. Just my looks. Well, better to nip it in the bud before it went on way too long. Am I overreacting by his comments? Trust me, there's a lot more that went into the decision to break up with him than that. Funny thing is, he called me "crazy demanding" for wanting to be respected and said I have a "sick obsession" about our relationship because I bought into his words; he told me he wanted to be with me and just me, just the two of us, wanted a relationship, but that's not how he acted.....BLEH!! Some people.

Replies

• TestingFun01
    TestingFun01 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I hate to say it this way but...

Your boyfriend sounds like a real a**... :flowerforyou:
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    you'll have to beat guys off with a stick

lulz
  • cleback
    cleback Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    At best, he's an idiot. At worse, an a**. Cheers to him being an ex!
  • haildodger
    haildodger Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    e62699bcf5a99c351bdbaf8bfc50ddc5.jpg
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    Don't know if it's true or not, but males and females are somewhat attracted to people who may resemble their parents both in looks and character. Psych professor talked to me about it once. I kinda believe him. My DW is like my mom was at the same age.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • PrincessEliNa
    PrincessEliNa Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Good for you! :D
  • pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Don't know if it's true or not, but males and females are somewhat attracted to people who may resemble their parents both in looks and character. Psych professor talked to me about it once. I kinda believe him. My DW is like my mom was at the same age.

IDEA Fitness member

I've heard of this too and seen some similarities. Pretty interesting stuff.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Good riddance to him!
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

I've heard of this too and seen some similarities. Pretty interesting stuff.

Everyone has always commented that my husband is pretty much exactly like my Dad. :flowerforyou:
  • afortunatedragon
    afortunatedragon Posts: 329 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Ok, THAT scares the **** out of me.
    I don't want to be like my inlaw, not a second.

To OP, I think that you sacked him counts as weightloss. What a brick.
  • Changingmyfatitude
    Options
    My ex once told me I should be grateful that he was with me because at least he stuck with me when I bigger.... people say some stupid ish.
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Good work making him your ex not current boyfriend. He sounds like a totally awful person.
  • Lottiotta
    Lottiotta Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    That's a lot of warning signs of him being an abusive partner, so yeah, well done for getting shot of him.
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    "Once you lose the weight, you're going to be a knockout and I want to get in on that on the front end, plus you'll have to beat guys off with a stick and I want that to myself."

This is called a "red flag".
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

true for some people my older brother married a girl who acts as if she's his mom. me not a chance in hell. i don't need some control freak. i need my equal in life
  • Timelordlady85
    Timelordlady85 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Best decision you made was getting rid of that douche bag, sorry but thats what he sounds like to me. If any guy told me some BS about how he I'd be knock out once I lost all this weight, he would be gone before he could finish his sentence. He sounds like a douche bag and you can do much better. :flowerforyou:
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    OP, you WIN! :drinker: Don't think about all the B.S. he brought. Take a big deep breath and pat yourself on the back for getting yourself out of this relationship. It's a victory for you. That stupid, immature stuff he said and did is more a reflection of him than it is of you. Take it as a learning experience and grow from it. You'll look back on this with relief and now you'll know what NOT to look for in the next partner!
  • PoppieM
    PoppieM Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I hate to say it this way but...

Your boyfriend sounds like a real a**... :flowerforyou:

^This :flowerforyou:
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

true for some people my older brother married a girl who acts as if she's his mom. me not a chance in hell. i don't need some control freak. i need my equal in life

That's true for my brother, too. He picked someone a lot like his mommy physically. The personality is quite different, though. When strangers see me, my sister and my sister-in-law with my Mom, they think SIL is the daughter. They have a similar height and build. I think it's funny when people tell guys to look at their girlfriend's mother to find out what she's going to look like in the future. So not true in my family. My sister and I are tall (Mom's short) and I'm kinda lean and athletic (Mom's never been.)

I didn't pick a guy who looks or acts anything like my Dad. I like my Dad and I think he gave me a good foundation and a healthy self-esteem which enabled me to both choose and be a good spouse, but my Dad's personality is NOT compatible with mine in terms of partnership. We are too alike in the wrong ways and too different in the right ways - if that makes any sense. So there is no way I would end up with a guy like Dad, LOL! :laugh:
  • WhatAnAss
    WhatAnAss Posts: 1,598 Member
    Options
    Oh I would have shown him a knockout alright. Right across his face.