hate running

Options
So I have a question, I hate running always have. But I know cardio is important when losing fat, so instead I walk on a very steep incline at 3.5mph will this still help me lose what I need to within time?

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    In my experience I burn more calories walking at a steep incline at 3.5 mph than running!
  • IHateThinkingOfAUsername
    Options
    As long as you get your heart rate up (for cardio) then it will help. I hate running, so I don't do it. I do various things in a pool, swimming, different aquacise classes, scuba diving, etc. When I'm not in the pool I have an elliptical trainer, but if I didn't have those then I'd consider a rowing machine. There is so many options, I'm sure you'll find one you enjoy!
    http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/fitness_articles.asp?id=1596&page=2
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I burn more while running, but running is not necessary for weight loss. If you like walking better, walk. Or try something else. Weight loss has more to do with how much we eat... Exercise is for our health,
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    You are going to burn roughly the same number of calories per mile... But, obviously, running is going to get you there more quickly! No worries - do what you enjoy! Good luck!
  • emmacken
    emmacken Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I hate running as well. I've tried to love it; I've done the c25k program twice and run several 5ks. I've loved the idea of taking a 30 minute jog and being done with my exercise for the day, but unfortunately it's just not something I enjoy. I've found much greater success in walking. I look forward to walking around my neighborhood, alone or with others. I believe that consistency and doing what you love are what count the most in your exercise choice.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Incline walking can burn the same calories as running and could use up almost the same amount of oxygen if you go at 3.5 mph. It can be used both for cardiovascular fitness and for burning calories. Don't worry too much.

An hour of 3.5 mph walking on a 15 degree incline burns roughly 800 calories for an average man and uses up roughly 35 VO2.
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    So I have a question, I hate running always have. But I know cardio is important when losing fat, so instead I walk on a very steep incline at 3.5mph will this still help me lose what I need to within time?

Cardio is cardio. It doesn't much matter if your running, rowing, biking, climbing etc. It's all about getting your heart rate to the desired range for a period/s of time.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    Just don't make the mistake of walking at night and you'll be fine
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    Find something you enjoy that gets your heart rate up and do that instead. I hate cardio machines (do them sometimes out of necessity) but love spinning and Zumba and look forward to those classes. Weight loss is all about consuming fewer calories than you burn.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I hate running also. So I don't do it. You'll be fine without running, walking at an incline is fine. You could do lots of different things instead of running.
  • Amelia0471
    Options
    Perfect! Thanks you guys... I have heard from many people that "im doing t wrong and need to run" lol it didnt make sense to me but i wanted to make sure that walking at that speed at thay incline will still get me to my goals :)
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Not only is running unnecessary, steady state cardio is unnecessary.

Find something active you do enjoy. Walking, running, cycling, swimming, tennis, soccer, basketball, martial arts, dance, kayaking, standing in one spot and jumping up and down - it all burns calories and promotes cardiovascular health.

Steady-state is the most efficient, but unfortunately for many people also the least enjoyable. Life's to short to do stuff you don't enjoy.
  • mariarobles55
    Options
    I too hate running, so I have started biking and I love it! I ride on bike trails since I am afraid of biking on the road and I am able to do it consistently 3 to 5 days a week! Find something you love and it wont feel like exercise! Good Luck!
  • funchords
    funchords Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I have heard from many people that "im doing t wrong and need to run" lol it didnt make sense to me
    Runners report getting a rush from running. I get only pain and that painful "stitch" in my side. So I don't run.

I like finding walking loops or in-and-out walks on pavement. During the week, I do ~2 miles each walk. During the weekend, I do 3+ each walk. I've also done 3 hikes on trails in the last 2 months, I think I could get into that as much as I'm getting into walking.
  • benefiting
    benefiting Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Don't be in a rush to lose the weight. Find something you love and stick to it. :)
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Define "steep incline".
  • amusedmonkey
    Options
    Define "steep incline".

Even a slight hardly noticeable incline like 5 grade can double the calories burned compared to walking on level ground at the same speed. Now the steeper it gets the more calories you burn. It does not have to be the kind you slide off of to make a serious dent in your daily burn.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    You are going to burn roughly the same number of calories per mile... But, obviously, running is going to get you there more quickly! No worries - do what you enjoy! Good luck!
    Not with any significant incline, but flat mile vs. flat mile-- similar.

I hate running, too. I re-try periodically but it always ends the same. Why do something I hate?
  • amusedmonkey
    Options
    Not with any significant incline, but flat mile vs. flat mile-- similar.

I hate running, too. I re-try periodically but it always ends the same. Why do something I hate?

That's actually a misconception. The mechanics of running are vastly different from walking, so the body tends to burn a lot more per mile while running than it does walking flat mile vs. flat mile.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Define "steep incline".

Even a slight hardly noticeable incline like 5 grade can double the calories burned compared to walking on level ground at the same speed. Now the steeper it gets the more calories you burn. It does not have to be the kind you slide off of to make a serious dent in your daily burn.

A 5% grade is more than "slight hardly noticeable" and is below the point where net caloric burn doubles. Your definition may or may not match what the OP is walking when claiming a "steep incline".