New law for passing bicyclists starts Tuesday in CA

Options

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Happens all the time here on back roads with farm equipment that is also slow moving. Just gotta wait, no way around it.

Luckily back roads usually aren't double lined usually, and indeed not busy. So pass away when safe, me or any other slow moving vehicle that is obey rules of the road.

Hope they enforce the existing laws on cyclist too though that run lights and stop signs without a care.

Now, I will hog the road to prevent idiots from doing a pass on a blind hill until I can see over and there is no traffic oncoming. No need for potentially 3 people to die for mere seconds of time.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Is this only for highways? I don't see many riders on highways.
    Well on "highways" like 5 or 80, it's forbidden for any bicyclists, but there are many back road highways (like 17 to Santa Cruz) that's only a couple of lanes wide in many spots.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Heck yeah! I hope other states do the same real soon.

EDIT; And I'm every bit of a driver as much as I am a cyclist.

Give 'em a break! er uh brake.
    2 lane road. Traffic high going the opposite direction. Have 2 feet clearance to pass a biker, but CAN'T do it due to new law. So in essence, traffic behind biker has to slow to their speed until it's safe to pass with a 3 foot clearance. That could be for a few miles traveling at 15 miles an hour.

If you have to slow to 15mph from 45mph for 2 miles you lose about 5 minutes.
    Oh I don't doubt you Rae. Driving in a car at 55mph and 70mph to a 15 mile destination is a 3 minute difference. But people in vehicles aren't concerned about the 5 minutes. It's the inconvenience of having to slow down to a crawl.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    People who live in warmer climates will probably be seeing more bikes out there with the way gas prices are going!

No police are going to pull anyone over if they move over to pass a bike unless they swerve into oncoming traffic. If you don't drive like a maniac you have nothing to worry about.

Also if I encounter a bike 'road hogging' for no apparent reason I am not afraid to let them know, haha. When I ride my bike I keep over to the side.
    This is what I believe will happen. I'm sure there will be some righteous riders who'll jot down license plate numbers and report them too, probably to no avail. However if a police officer deems a car suspicious, can't find any reason to pull the car over, then sees the car violate the 3 foot rule, they now would have a reason.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I was thinking about this the other day.

Here's the thing. Mostly, not anyone on MFP, of course, but IRL, bicyclists are mostly total pricks. They run red lights, they run stop signs, they only use the laws that benefit them. They ones that don't, they ignore. I am in an area with a *kitten* ton of bikes. And, I live in a city that is trying to be the most bike friendly city in America. That is their goal. But, it's failing everywhere for all kinds of reasons. Here is the primary reason, I think, this is just my thoughts...no matter what laws they pass, in general, drivers don't like the bikes in their way. I do not use our bike lanes because they are really really dangerous. It just isn't safe at all. So, what many people are doing, like me, is we ride on the sidewalks. That causes other problems. Many bike riders say that's dangerous. In my 49 years of riding my bike on a sidewalk, I have never hit a pedestrian, never. So, I know I'm a sample of one, but I fail to see the danger there. Anyway, you can't change drivers attitudes or behavior with laws, in this case. I think it's driving a wedge harder between bikes and cars. Cars are bigger, more powerful, and can easily kill. I think the solution should be completely separate bike paths along side the roads. Not on the same street as cars, and not on a side walk, but build a separate bike path. I know it's expensive to do, but it's really the only feasible solution here.

Our bike lanes are very dangerous, and our drivers in general are fairly aggressive. You aren't going to change our busy stressed out drivers. The bikes have to do something different. Sharing the road is just really insane. I think the law has this wrong. I really do. Motor vehicle and peddled bikes should not share the road in today's situation. It's just crazy.

Having said all that, I will try not to swipe a bike.

Does the law go the other way? What if a bike gets within 3 feet of me? They do that all the time where I live. Do I get in trouble for that or do they?
    On one stretch of road between my city and the next, they have a bike path. Since they've installed it, bike accidents have gone down over 95%. Go figure. The 5%...............other bikers and runners getting into accidents with each other.

IDEA Fitness member
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    As a daily cylist, this would annoy me.

Ok our roads in the UK are a lot narrower, but not all California roads are massive.

I'll often go past a queue of traffic, fully expecting it to come back past me when the traffic lights change - with such a rule I'd now cause considerable inconvenience to the traffic if the traffic was to follow this..
  • VAClydesdale
    VAClydesdale Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Great law so long as people follow it! Too many motorists are too impatient and "too important" to follow laws. In Virginia we have that law and the double-line law. No one knows about the three foot law. Also, even though it's a law that you can't pass when there's a double line, no one pays attention most of the time. It's also a law that pedestrian have the right of way in a crosswalk. Motorist don't follow that law either.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Great law so long as people follow it! Too many motorists are too impatient and "too important" to follow laws. In Virginia we have that law and the double-line law. No one knows about the three foot law. Also, even though it's a law that you can't pass when there's a double line, no one pays attention most of the time. It's also a law that pedestrian have the right of way in a crosswalk. Motorist don't follow that law either.
    Well I think that applies to bikers, runners and pedestrians as well. This morning I was making a right turn at a stop sign, looked to the left to see it was clear, about to make the turn when a bike sped right by my right side through the stop sign. And yes I had my signal on.

IDEA Fitness member
  • roanokejoe49
    roanokejoe49 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    The Three Feet for Safety Act goes into effect Tuesday. According to Banning-based California Highway Patrol Public Information Officer Darren Meyer, it will be enforced statewide like all traffic laws.

The law reads: “A driver of a motor vehicle shall not overtake or pass a bicycle proceeding in the same direction on a highway at a distance of less than three feet between any part of the motor vehicle and any part of the bicycle or its operator.”

If there is insufficient room for the 3-feet gap, motorists will be required to slow to safely pass riders.

http://www.pe.com/articles/bicycle-749809-safety-law.html
    What's not mentioned is that is if there is a double yellow line, even if there is no oncoming traffic, it would be a violation to overtake by crossing the double yellow line.

My city has bike lanes and paths, but in alot of the urban areas and backroads, I'm sure there will be backlash from drivers. Especially if on the back roads riders decide to go 2-3 wide on rides.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I think you'll find that most bicyclists will move to the right as soon as is possible to allow cars to pass. If a driver has to wait for a minute until it is actually safe to pass, then so it shall be! btw, 3ft law is already federal as I understand it, so if cyclists wanted to enforce it, they could.

There is no Federal 3-feet law pertaining to cyclists. This is a state by state statute.
  • roanokejoe49
    Options

It's not only for highways. It pertains to any street or road (at least it does here in VA)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    My city has bike lanes and paths, but in alot of the urban areas and backroads, I'm sure there will be backlash from drivers. Especially if on the back roads riders decide to go 2-3 wide on rides.

Let's not forget how many graves this law is built upon.

I'm a ragin' cager, but I know better. I know that If I have to wait a minute to safely pass a bike rider it's fine, because I can tool up to 90+ and get where I'm going just as fast.

Without brain spatter on my bumper.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    The Three Feet for Safety Act goes into effect Tuesday. According to Banning-based California Highway Patrol Public Information Officer Darren Meyer, it will be enforced statewide like all traffic laws.

The law reads: “A driver of a motor vehicle shall not overtake or pass a bicycle proceeding in the same direction on a highway at a distance of less than three feet between any part of the motor vehicle and any part of the bicycle or its operator.”

If there is insufficient room for the 3-feet gap, motorists will be required to slow to safely pass riders.

http://www.pe.com/articles/bicycle-749809-safety-law.html
    What's not mentioned is that is if there is a double yellow line, even if there is no oncoming traffic, it would be a violation to overtake by crossing the double yellow line.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

They have passed this law here in the past few years. There are no issues that have arisen that I am aware of and my job would allow me to be aware of such issues. And as a cyclist, I haven't seen any issues from that end either.

I can't speak for where you are but where I am, while driving left of center is not allowed on a double solid line, there is a stipulation in the motor vehicle act that allows you cross over it where it is "reasonable and prudent to do so due to weather and other conditions". This would be one of those conditions.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

It's not only for highways. It pertains to any street or road (at least it does here in VA)

Yes, most definitions of a "highway" in motor vehicle act include streets and roads, not just the highway we usually refer to.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    The pedestrians think they own the streets and just walk right out in front of you all the time without looking (not in crosswalks) or walk in the middle of the street and stop suddenly to take pictures and then act irritated when you swerve and narrowly avoid the collision they almost caused.

There's a woman in Cambridge, MA that commutes by bike and carries a bullwhip. I've seen here use the bullwhip on cars that get too close, and peds that get in her way. It's funny to see.

Frickin' MA.
  • roanokejoe49
    Options
    The pedestrians think they own the streets and just walk right out in front of you all the time without looking (not in crosswalks) or walk in the middle of the street and stop suddenly to take pictures and then act irritated when you swerve and narrowly avoid the collision they almost caused.

There's a woman in Cambridge, MA that commutes by bike and carries a bullwhip. I've seen here use the bullwhip on cars that get too close, and peds that get in her way. It's funny to see.

Frickin' MA.

I've been known to carry my .380. Luckily, I've never had to use it. Rednecks around here think that cyclists are target practice for their pickup truck. This law is for after the accident. It won't prevent anything.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    There is no Federal 3-feet law pertaining to cyclists. This is a state by state statute.

Thanks for clearing that up. I usually have a camera on my bike, so if there ever is a concern, it's recorded. A lot of us have cameras now that the technology has become so much more affordable. Mostly, I find this to be true: Don't be a jerk on the road, not in your car and not on your bike; not on the bus, train, nor even airplane. Even better if you can apply it to all parts of your life: Don't be a jerk.

Here's some info that is also helpful to anyone curious...

http://www.ncsl.org/research/transportation/bicycle-and-pedestrian-safety.aspx

3-Feet/Safe Bicycle Passing

A bicycle safety policy that has gained significant interest and activity in state legislatures is 3-feet or safe passing laws. These laws seek to ensure that, when passing bicycles, motor vehicles allow adequate space to avoid sideswiping bicyclists or causing them to overcorrect to avoid a vehicle. Skeptics doubt such laws can be enforced and whether 3 feet allows sufficient space for bicyclists. In addition, many bicyclists feel that laws dictating they must ride to the far right of a lane are of more concern because they often encourage too-close passing and leave bicyclists vulnerable to being “doored” by a parked car or to encountering roadside debris. Advocates state that these passing laws at least create a legal framework to protect bicyclists who are hit or buzzed from behind, create a less arbitrary standard and raise awareness of the importance of safe passing.

In 1973, Wisconsin became first state to enact such a law; several more states have since enacted such measures. As of October 2011, 20 states—Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Kansas, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Minnesota, Mississippi, Nevada, New Hampshire, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Utah and Wisconsin—and the District of Columbia have enacted 3-feet passing laws. Since 2008, 12 states have enacted 3 foot passing measures.

Delaware, Georgia, Kansas and Nevada laws were enacted in 2011. Not all legislation introduced in 2011 passed, however. California’s bill was vetoed, as was a 5-feet passing measure in New Mexico. Bills in Iowa and Missouri did not pass. An attempt failed in Rhode Island to amend its law to require 3-feet passing, rather than safe passing. Virginia introduced legislation to increase the passing buffer from 2 feet to 3 feet, but that measure also failed.

A few states—including New York, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Vermont (its law applies to all vulnerable users) and West Virginia—have more general “safe passing laws. These laws typically state that vehicles must pass bicyclists at a safe distance and speed, but usually are not more specific. Statutes in states with 3-feet passing laws contain varying degrees of detail. Some simply lay out the 3-feet threshold, while others are more distinct. The New Hampshire language, for example, is quite specific, stating “The distance shall be presumed to be reasonable and prudent if it is at least 3 feet when the vehicle is traveling at 30 miles per hour or less, with one additional foot of clearance required for every 10 miles per hour above 30 miles per hour.”
    The Colorado law, passed in 2009, reads, “Allow the bicyclist at least a three-foot separation between the right side of the driver’s vehicle, including all mirrors or other projections, and the left side of the bicyclist at all times.”

State penalties for violating 3-feet passing laws also vary. Florida law states that a violation is a noncriminal traffic infraction that carries a $60 fine and three points on the license. Louisiana law carries a maximum fine of $250. The Arkansas law carries a $100 fine, although the fine for causing physical injury or death is only $1,000.