Inner thigh chafing...?

Options
Hi everyone!

I'm experiencing inner thigh chafing at the moment. I usually wear jeans or long pants because my thighs touch whilst I'm standing and rub when I walk or run.

It's warmed up significantly here (start of spring) and I'm finding it too hot to exercise in my long tights and I want to wear my skirts/dresses and summer shorts - but I'm getting chafing and incredible irritation on my inner thighs where they are rubbing.

What can I put on my inner thighs so that I don't experience chafing or irritation during exercise or everyday life so it probably needs to be sweat resistant.

What do you all use?

Replies

• GymAnJuice
    GymAnJuice Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    a big slab of vaseline rubbed in to your inner thighs, sounds gross but you can't feel anything once its on. its v cheap too, and you can buy a small tub to keep in your bag if you need to re-apply when your out for the day. it can be brought in the baby section
  • healthyhayles
    Options
    I've just recently bought myself a pair of compression pants (I bought the brand Skins, but I'm sure any would work). I've found that the fabric of the pants and the way that they hold your legs throughout exercise avoids chaffing. Not to mention they reduce muscle injury throughout your workouts. :)
  • awesomejdad
    awesomejdad Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    compression shorts. Buy a pair and try them out. you can get them just about anywhere in the fitness clothing area.
  • shooting_star27
    shooting_star27 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    During exercise, I recommend bike shorts or any other kind of snug fitting pants, preferably moisture wicking, but plain cotton spandex is fine too. For everyday wear, just rub a bit of baby powder on the inner thighs. There's also a product called body glide that runners use, it looks like a stick of deodorant.
  • sarah5893
    sarah5893 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I used to use 'Udderly Smooth Chamois Cream' which really helped.
    I'm not sure if you can buy it in the US but they sell it here in the UK so i'm sure you can find something similar if you type in 'Chamois Cream' into amazon.
  • SunnyDuckling
    SunnyDuckling Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Hi, Southern Hemisphere here too - hello!

Thigh chafing is the reason I stopped wearing skirts and dresses a loooooong time ago.

However, to prevent chafing in summer time, we always used a bit of baby powder to dust between the thighs. On particularly hot days, you may need to reapply. Especially if you work in a building with no aircon. :frown:
    A light sprinkle in your sandles (or jandles if you're kiwi?) is good for sweaty feet too.

As far as exercise? Compression tights I think is your best try. Or just well-fitting exercise leggings.
  • buzz3d269
    buzz3d269 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Try bepanthen - you'll find it in the baby area of the supermarket/chemist, it's basically nappy rash cream. It's really thick (so once you get it on your fingers, it's hard to get it off!) but I've found it's like magic, and makes such a difference. I'm lucky in that I only ever have trouble when I'm in humid areas, so it's the first thing I pack when I go on holidays anywhere humid, but I don't tend to need it down here (in Vic).
  • willywonka
    willywonka Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Body glide!!! You can find it at most sporting good and running stores, works very well
  • losttogain
    losttogain Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Just use a few swipes of your normal deodorant/antiperspirant between your thighs! They'll slide like butta...I personally use dove powder or any of the other dove solids. It really works with any though.
  • MaddyT122
    MaddyT122 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Monistat Chafing Relief Powder Gel Skin Protectant. It's made for the thigh/bikini area and is pretty cheap. It also works great as a makeup primer for powder foundations.
  • smelanie504
    Options
    Deodorant!
  • mandymack14
    mandymack14 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Not sure where the OP is in the world but you mentioned it's getting warm suggesting southern hemisphere - maybe Australia? There's a product called Prantal Powder, available at pharmacies, made just for this problem. I think it has paraffin in it so it gives you a glide, not a rub.
  • onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I second/third/fourth the antiperspirant. Works like a charm for me, nothing extra to buy :)
  • Rmfowler1990
    Rmfowler1990 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Love all the suggestions here. Another thing is add for skirts and dress are "boy shorts", basically like tight boxers for women. Whatever method you use, I'd test out in a short time frame so you don't get stuck out for hours and have to just deal with the chaffing. Nothing is worse!!
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    I'm not very ladylike, and as such, I don't wear dresses often. When I do, I feel more comfortable wearing bike shorts underneath. Not only do my thighs not chafe, but I don't have to worry about what effects the wind is having on my skirts. It is warmer, though. I have also been known to layer bike shorts under men's cargo shorts - the crotch of the cargo shorts hangs lower than the upper thigh area where chafing occurs. If I could get away with just the bike shorts to work, I would probably be happier. Except then I would have no pockets. I think I'm going to try the deodorant, though. That sounds nifty.
  • vrb9181
    Options
    You should get yourself a pair of Bandelettes (www.bandelettes.com). I had the same issue of my thighs chafing when I would wear skirts, short, and dresses but since buying my Bandelettes I have not suffered from inner thigh chafing. Bandelettes are very breathable and they stay in place with silicone. You should definitely check them out.
  • lindsaybluth
    Options
    I agree w/the body glide suggestion and the biking-short-length tight shorts.
  • lookin4gains
    lookin4gains Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    An old army trick for ruck marches, we use the top half of panty hose cut off at mid thigh. Works wonders.
  • granturismo
    granturismo Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Sudocream and it also helps healing.

I might try a pair of compression shorts as suggested above.