want to run/ but think I look stupid

13»

Replies

• PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    To an extent, we all feel that way at first. The hardest outdoor run is that first one. But really....no one is watching you or anyone else.
    Find a quiet trail or path and just do it. You'll find that you're a bit self-conscious at first but that goes away quickly as you feel yourself get stronger and better.
    Give it a try. You can do this and it's a lot of fun.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Good job crew, bumping a 3 year old post about someone feeling stupid.

lol.

Someone posted just the other day. The concern is still valid for all new runners.
  • mundaycarroll
    mundaycarroll Posts: 64 Member
    You can always start by taking routes that you know not a lot of people will see you running. When I first started running that's what I did because I felt like people were always staring at me when they would drive by. I do feel a little self conscious still when I'm running so I now try to take routes that I know none of my friends or co-workers live on. It's a working progress.
  • Good job crew, bumping a 3 year old post about someone feeling stupid.

lol.

Aw man!!!!! Bamboozled.
  • oremus1
    oremus1 Posts: 100 Member
    it feels quite good, I wear baggy clothes and long pants so no-one can check out my body and I feel less self conscious.

be safe, carry alarm, tell parents where you are going.
  • OldManOfTheSea
    OldManOfTheSea Posts: 33 Member
    I look pretty stupid when I run but I do it anyway. Maybe I'm too old to care or too deaf to hear them yelling at me but I haven't had anyone mention it.
  • lappyd425
    lappyd425 Posts: 112 Member
    Agree with the big sun glasses! I felt like nobody could see me if I had them on! Grab your Ipod and earphones and go!!!
  • TusTus
    TusTus Posts: 14 Member
    This post makes me think about the Friends episode when Rachel was embarrassed to run with Phoebe. ;-).

I see so many different running styles when I'm out for a run, and all I think about is how cool it is that so many peeps are out running. I'm sure nobody is judging you. Enjoy!
  • BramageOMG
    BramageOMG Posts: 319 Member
    HOLD ON!! I saw her running, and, well............

It was scary. I called my friends, and they came and watched too. A couple cars stopped too

OK, I don't have any friends, you caught me
  • Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    tumblr_n00yicjVuo1syv2qio1_250.gif

Edited to add the second because...it's funnier.

And...I say go for it!

phoebe-running-o.gif
This discussion has been closed.