Runners advice?

Options
Ok I got really high arches so I typically buy high arch support running shoes but I still get really bad foot cramps or pain in my arches and through out my feet. Someone once suggested shoes with little or no arch support so my foot could flex more as it impacts on landing.

Anyone able to chime in on this?

Replies

• irisherin67
    irisherin67 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you have a Fleet Feet store in your area go there for a consultation. Get the running shoes that are right for you. They may cost more than you are used to but it's worth it. Also go see a podiatrist! I go to a sports podiatrist. He is an athlete as well and understands what it is like to have issues that cause you to not be able to run...in my past case and how scary that is to feel like you might have to give up something you love or that aids in your weight loss. Hope this helps
  • TheArchyBunker
    TheArchyBunker Posts: 1,967 Member
    Options
    I don't have a fleet feet here :( and local stores are idiots looking for sales only. I love running the freedom feeling it gives. Sadly running on pavement is far worse and more painful than running on a treadmill for me. I can go about 5x as far on a treadmill than pavement. Thus the biggest issue.

I'll research stores in my area more.
  • ME0172
    ME0172 Posts: 200
    Options
    Definatley look for a running specialty store in your area. Many also have special inserts that you can try. Good luck!
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Definatley look for a running specialty store in your area. Many also have special inserts that you can try. Good luck!

^^^^^^^^^^^^
    This
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    worked for me. i had heel spurs and arch issues. podiatrists kept on telling me to buy this supportive shoe, and that i'd never be a runner, and custom orthotics.

well, one day i bought minimalist shoes for weight lifting. started wearing them more and more often, and low and behold, now i do triathlons. magic!!
  • tracysway
    tracysway Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I have high arches and was fitted for stability shoes. also make sure you buy shoes at least 1/2 size larger than your typical shoe size. Loosen the laces and bit. Your feet swell during runs.
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Arch support is arch death. Minimalist shoes with a wide toe box. Heel raises with weights to strengthen feet as well.
  • TheArchyBunker
    TheArchyBunker Posts: 1,967 Member
    Options
    Sound advice by the lot of you thanks!