Needing new soup recipes

Options
kayang
kayang Posts: 4 Member
My husband and I are big soup lovers and want to try some new soups? Please share your favorite recipes... I usually do a new soup every week and it lasts us all week long...:wink:

587869.png

Replies

• AmigaMaria001
    AmigaMaria001 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Slow Cooker Minestrone
    SERVES 6 TO 8
    You can use any small pasta, such as orzo, ditalini, or small elbows. I recommend great northern or cannellini beans.
    Serve the minestrone with grated parmesan cheese.

• 1 C dried medium-sized white beans (see note), rinsed and picked over
    • 6 TBS extra virgin olive oil
    • 2 onions, chopped fine
    • 4 carrots, peeled and cut into ½" pieces
    • 8 garlic cloves, minced
    • 1(28-oz) can whole peeled tomatoes, roughly crushed by hand
    • 8 C chicken broth
    • 3 C water
    • 2 C loosely packed basil leaves, chopped
    • 1 tsp dried oregano
    • ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
    • 2 medium zucchini, quartered lengthwise, seeded, and sliced ¼" thick
    • 1 bunch Swiss chard, stemmed, leaves chopped
    • ½ C pasta, small soup

COOK BEANS:
    1. Bring beans and enough water to cover by 1" to low boil in medium saucepan over high heat.
    2. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, until beans are just beginning to soften, about 20 minutes.
    3. Drain beans and transfer to slow cooker.
    SAUTÉ AROMATICS:
    4. Heat 3 TBS oil in Dutch oven over medium heat until shimmering.
    5. Add onions and carrots and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
    6. Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
    7. Add tomatoes and their juice and cook until pan is nearly dry, 8 to 12 minutes.
    8. Stir in broth, water ½ C basil, oregano, and pepper flakes and bring to boil; transfer to slow cooker.
    9. Cover and cook on low until beans are tender, 6 to 7 hours (or cook on high 5 to 6 hours).
    FINISH SOUP:
    10. Stir zucchini, chard, and pasta into slow cooker and cook, covered, on high until pasta is tender, 20 to 30 minutes.
    11. Stir in remaining basil and remaining oil.
    12. Season with salt and pepper.
    13. Serve.
    Enjoy!
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I love soup too! I am so happy it is slowly becoming soup weather. I usually make at least a pot a week too. Below is what I made last night. I also have some links for you one to the ultimate soup list. The other to the soup page on my blog.

http://www.lovebakesgoodcakes.com/2012/10/the-ultimate-soup-recipe-list-linky.html

http://soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/p/soup.html

Italian Sausage Soup
    Cooking Light, JULY 2004

Ingredients

8 ounces hot or sweet turkey Italian sausage
    2 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
    1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes with basil, garlic, and oregano
    1/2 cup uncooked small shell pasta
    2 cups bagged baby spinach leaves
    2 tablespoons grated fresh Parmesan or Romano cheese
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil

Directions

Heat a large saucepan over medium heat. Remove casings from sausage. Add sausage to pan, and cook about 5 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble. Drain; return to pan.

Add broth, tomatoes, and pasta to pan, and bring to a boil over high heat. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes or until pasta is done. Remove from heat; stir in spinach until wilted. Sprinkle each serving with cheese and basil.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 1/3 cups soup, 1 1/2 teaspoons cheese, and 1 1/2 teaspoons basil)

Nutritional Information: Per Serving; Calories 216, Fat 7.1g, Fiber 1.6g.
  • dklibert
    Options
    I made this last week. It is low sodium and delicious. You can add salt or soy sauce. But I liked it with the Sriracha.

Asian Style Vegetable Soup
    Serves 12; generous 1 cup serving

Ingredients

14 dried shiitake mushrooms (or substitute fresh shiitake mushrooms)
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1” ginger, peeled and minced
    6 green onions, divided and sliced
    1 carrot, peeled and diced
    1 cup frozen corn, thawed
    6 cups Napa or Savoy cabbage, chopped
    8 cups unsalted vegetable stock
    1/4 tsp white pepper, or to taste
    1/8 tsp red pepper flakes, or to taste
    2 cups baby spinach leaves
    2 tsp. sesame oil
    1 Tbsp. Sherry vinegar

Optional garnishes:
    Sriracha

Directions

If using dried mushrooms, soak them in warm water for 15 minutes. Squeeze out the excess water and reserve soaking liquid. Cut or discard the stems from the shiitake mushrooms. Thinly slice the mushroom caps and add to a soup pot. Add garlic, ginger, 4 green onions, carrots, corn and cabbage. Cover vegetables with vegetable stock and mushroom soaking liquid. Be careful not to add the sediment at the bottom of the mushroom liquid. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low, and simmer covered for 10 minutes. Turn off heat add spinach, sesame oil and sherry vinegar. Serve garnished with remaining green onion.
  • Ke11er
    Ke11er Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I got this recipe here on MFP about a year ago from DJMichaels. I toss it in the crock pot, and based on other's suggestions I add a can of diced tomatoes. I put the tortellini in during the last 30 minutes so they don't get over cooked.. It has become one of our family's favorites....
    Simple & Low Calorie, easily adapted to the slow cooker, range top, or oven.

Tortellini Soup

1 box Chicken Broth
    1 bag Tortellini
    1 pound Italian Sausage
    1 bag Spinach, raw baby
    1 c Greek Yogurt, plain (or lowfat cream cheese)
    Fresh Grated Parmesan (opt)

Brown the sausage until it is nice and crispy, drain off grease but do not rinse. Add the broth to the fry pan and bring to a boil, scraping the bottom of the pan to loosten the stuck bits. Remove some of the broth to whisk in with the yogurt in a small bowl, once blended, slowly add to the mixture in the pan. Add in the sausage, tortellini, and spinach.

Range top: Turn the heat down to low until the tortellini is cooked.
    Oven: Pour into baking dish and bake at 350° for roughly 45-60 minutes.
    Crockpot: Dump everything into crockpot. Cook on low for 4-5 hours. I've left it in for 8 with no problems.

Serve with grated parmesan cheese.

I do not season this with anything because it draws flavor and seasonin from the sausage.

Store leftovers in overnight in the refrigerator. The next day the tortellini will have absorbed most of the liquid so it is more like a casserole.
  • Ke11er
    Ke11er Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    And we got this one from MMerry5 and love it too!

"I make a Beef Lentil Soup that is fairly high protein and is healthy and delicious.

1 lb stew beef (or any lean beef) cut into small chunks
    1 cup chopped Celery
    1 cup Chopped carrots
    1 cup chopped onions
    3 cloves garlic chopped
    ½ - 1 cup quick barley
    1 cup lentils
    1 cup diced potatoes
    1 or 2 containers Chicken Broth (I think I usually use 1 large container and 1 can You will want to cover everything with broth.)
    Salt and pepper to taste
    1 can Diced tomatoes

In crockpot add all ingredients except tomatoes. (You probably could brown the beef in a little olive oil first for added flavor, but I don’t bother. Saves time and calories without the oil.) Cook on low for about 6-8 hours or on high for 5-6 hours. Add tomatoes for the last one or two hours of cooking time. Some chopped cabbage would probably be really good added to this as well.

According to the recipe builder (for 12 servings) this has 134 cals, 24 carbs, 3 fat, 11 protein, 3 fiber.

This is one of my family’s favorite meals. I call it “stewp” as it is thicker than a soup, but not quite a stew. This freezes well too. I take the leftovers for my lunches. "

It's yummy! Might be like what you're looking for if you eat meat.
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Make this all the time.. Our favorite..

CALIFORNIA BLEND CHEESE SOUP

Servings:
    Units: US | Metric

2 lbs california-blend frozen vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, carrots)
    3 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth (regular or fat free)
    1 (15 ounce) can Rotel Tomatoes (or italian tomatoes)
    8 ounces velveeta

Directions:

In a saucepan add vegetables, chicken broth and tomatoes.
    Bring to a boil, reduce heat, simmer 45 minutes.
    Add the cheese and stir until melted.
    Yield: 10 cups.

When done I use my immersion blender till the correct consistency or just mash with potato masher..
  • cblue315
    cblue315 Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    This had become my favorite soup, you can change the recipe to accommodate the available vegetables.

Chicken veg with tandoori seasoning (Tandoori is like a very mild chili powder)

3 lbs chicken thighs with skin and bone
    3 cups water
    4 cups diced zucchini
    2 sliced onions
    1 lb carrots sliced or diced
    1 cup celery
    1 or 2 any type pepper - to your taste
    1 cup brown rice
    1 carton chicken broth or stock
    3 T Tandoori seasoning (an Indian seasoning available at any spice store)
    Salt and pepper to taste

Put chicken in Nesco type roaster at 350F or LeCreuset type dutch oven on medium low heat with water and cook until it starts falling apart when stirred
    Remove skin and bones, chop meat roughly
    Add all the rest of the ingredients
    Simmer on low for 1 to 3 hours or until all is cooked through and you can't wait any longer.
    You may need to add more water if your lid does not fit tightly
    Makes about 10 servings
  • alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Creamy tortilla soup. I usually do twice the tomatoes and broth called for and still only use one jalapeño.

http://www.loveandlemons.com/2013/05/03/tortilla-soup/
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    I've got the easiest recipe ever for you! Quick Black Bean Soup: 3 cans of black beans, drained and rinsed plus a 16 oz jar of salsa, 1 diced onion, 1 diced bell pepper, 1 diced jalepeno...throw it all together in the pot and add 2 cups of water. Simmer on medium until the veggies are soft :) SOOOOO delicious! I make mine with a roasted garlic salsa :)
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • hludwig980
    hludwig980 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ceron1234
    ceron1234 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Egg drop soup is one of the easiest soups to make and it is low calorie.

Chicken broth

Celery, onions, carrots and corn......put as much or as little as you want....many recipes don't have any veggies in it except onion but I like my soups to have some texture in it.

Put all ingredients in a pot and boil until carrots are tender.

While whisking drop in egg one at a time. I usually use three or four eggs depending on how big of a pot I am making.

Make a corn starch slurry and thicken soup.

Add soy sauce to taste
  • ActuarialChef
    ActuarialChef Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have a good (preferably low-sodium) chicken noodle soup recipe? I've been thinking about chicken noodle soup all weekend!
  • dklibert
    Options
    Use unsalted chicken stock, omit salt and maybe roast your own chicken to control the sodium.

Rotisserie Chicken Soup
    http://soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2014/02/rotisserie-chicken-soup.html
    Serves 6 to 8

Ingredients

2 Tbsp. olive oil
    1 medium onion, chopped
    3 small carrots, cut into 1/2 inch slices or cubes
    3 celery ribs, cut into 1/2 inch slices or cubes
    1/2 green bell pepper, cut into 1/2 inch dice
    3 garlic cloves, minced
    2 Tbsp. flour
    2 Tbsp. tomato paste
    1 tsp. Herbs de Provence (without lavender)
    1 bay leaf
    2 quarts chicken stock
    1 cup dried small elbow macaroni
    2 cups shredded chicken from a rotisserie chicken
    3/4 tsp. kosher salt, or to taste
    1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
    1/8 tsp. red pepper flakes, or to taste
    1 handful parsley, finely chopped

Directions

Place a large pot of water to boil.

Place another soup pot over medium heat and add olive oil. Add the onion, carrots and celery. Cook and stir for about 6 minutes, until the vegetables are softened but not browned. Stir in garlic, tomato paste and flour. Continue to stir and cook until the flour and tomato paste brown a little. Add Herbs de Provence, bay leaf and chicken stock; bring the liquid to a boil. Fold in the chicken, and season with salt, black and red pepper. Continue to simmer on low for 18 minutes while you cook the pasta.

Add elbow macaroni to the boiling water and cook according to package directions. Drain pasta and add to the soup pot. Add chopped parsley and taste for seasoning. Adjust seasoning if necessary. Remove from heat and serve.
  • dklibert
    Options
    Substitute unsalted chicken stock and a combination unsalted butter/olive oil for light butter to reduce sodium.

Chunky Chicken Noodle Soup with Mushrooms
    Yield: 6 servings

Ingredients

1/4 cup light butter, cubed
    2 carrots, cut into 1” x 1/2” sticks
    2 ribs celery, 1/2” slices
    2 small onion, diced
    4 oz mushrooms, sliced
    1/3 cup all-purpose flour
    1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
    1/8 teaspoon pepper or to taste
    1 dash red pepper flakes
    1 bay leaf
    6 cups chicken broth(low sodium, fat free)
    1 large boneless skinless chicken breast (3/4 to 1 lb), cut into 1/2” dice
    1 cup wide egg noodles

Directions

In a Dutch oven, saute the carrot, celery, onion and mushrooms in butter for 5 minutes or until tender. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in the flour until blended. Gradually add broth and bay leaf.

Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add the chicken, return to a boil. Add the noodles; reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes until noodles are tender. Taste for seasoning. Remove bay leaf and serve.
  • dklibert
    Options
    Amish Chicken Corn Soup
    Source: Taste of Home
    Makes 16 Servings

Ingredients

12 cups water
    2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
    1 cup chopped onion
    1 cup chopped celery
    1 cup shredded carrots
    3 chicken bouillon cubes
    2 cans (14-3/4 ounces each) cream-style corn
    2 cups uncooked egg noodles
    1/4 cup butter
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper

Directions

In a Dutch oven, combine the water, chicken, onion, celery, carrots and bouillon. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink and vegetables are tender.

Stir in the corn, noodles and butter; cook 10 minutes longer or until noodles are tender. Season with salt and pepper. Yield: 16 servings (about 4 quarts).

Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 134 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 44 mg cholesterol, 498 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 13 g protein.
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Bump so I don't lose this thread!
  • cass_wilson
    cass_wilson Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    OOOH! love this thread
  • bioya40
    bioya40 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    bump
  • shipleyd
    shipleyd Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Last night I just made this up after a trip to the farmers market. Turned out pretty well and there are a lot of things you can do to modify to your taste.

1 box chicken stock (32oz)
    1 can tomato sauce
    1 zucchini
    2 yellow squash
    1 tomato
    1 yellow onion
    1/2 lb ground turkey, cooked
    1 package frozen spinach
    1 1/2 cup frozen peas and carrots
    Mrs. Dash salt free seasoning to taste (I used about a tablespoon or so)
    Black pepper to taste
    (I also added 1 cup of water for just a bit more broth but you can leave it out)

Just chop everything up, toss it in the crockpot and cook on high for 3 1/2- 4 hours. Made eight 1 1/2 cup servings for about 120 calories a serving.