Over 40 - easier to put on and harder to shift!

Options
I turned 40 earlier this year and the weight seems to be going on easier than ever before...not sure if my imagination or reality!
Anyone else in a similar situation?

My jeans finally bursting at the seems gave me the kick I needed to get back into this...I've used the app for a while but not linked up with anyone..so wondered if some more support would make me stay on track/target this time?

If you are 40+ in a similar position I'd love to hear your thoughts and please feel free to add me and we can help each other through!

Replies

• MyTurn2BHappy
    MyTurn2BHappy Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Yes! I try not to overeat, but I notice if I have junk food once, that I feel like a can of biscuits bursting out of the seams! It's so weird. I hate getting old and having a slower metabolism. When I was younger and gained 40 lbs with my pregnancy, it was gone in less than a month! You really shouldn't have to work harder when you get older :-(((

Feel free to add me! I'm right there with ya!
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    For me, 40 started a more rapid downward trend that has only reversed with steady diet and exercise. My doctor basically told me that was part of the age, we begin deteriorating more rapidly every decade from 40 onwards, so if we do not take care of ourselves it is a steep slope downward to bad health.

On the upside, being in my early 40's, it is still not too hard to lose the weight, but I am definitely noticing that muscle build is slower than in my youth. I have had some people in their 50's and 60's comment about how if I think it is rough, they have it even rougher.

My take is, I'm getting as fit as I can in my 40's and staying there (please don't let me burn out), keeping in the best shape I can. I don't want a harder struggle later on to "recover". If I can...sadly, I have seen people close to me simply hit a point where they are no longer physically able to recover themselves due to a combination of health + age.

So stay ahead while you can.
  • Clothwright
    Options
    I'll be 44 next month. I don't think it's all imagination. What I've experienced is that as I get older, I have much less wiggle room for treats and overeating. Unless I keep exercising and watch what I eat, the weight just piles on. For example, we had a terrible winter this year; we were snowed in for months. My normal 5-6 days a week of exercise were sometimes only 1-3 even with extreme efforts to get out and to the gym and with home weight workouts. That combined with less mobility in general (couldn't ride my bike to work) and winter comfort foods (potatoes, bread, spice cookies, mmmm) resulted in me being the heaviest I've ever been. Unpleasant surprise when I got out my spring clothes and everything was tight. It's kind of a double whammy because if I understand correctly, calories needed for maintenance drop as we age and many people don't have unlimited time in the day to exercise. Although there are various ways to increase calorie burn, realistically for a lot of us there's effectively a daily cap due to personal capability and time available. It seems inevitable that one will over time have to eat less and less, which is sad! :(

So yes, I understand what you are talking about and I definitely sympathize. The positive side is that weight gain is not inevitable! There are ways to reverse the trend and the fact that you can reach your goal is shown by your presence here and new resolution. Good luck on your journey, I'm sure you can do it!!
  • Dozer91
    Dozer91 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I am 38 and had my 3rd child almost 2 years ago and know exactly how you feel. My other children are 20 and 12 so this baby sure did a number on my body. I am only a size up from where I was before I had the baby but its the hardest I ever had to work for to get any smaller. Did you ever read the book "The Hormone Cure" by Sara Gottfried? It has a great information about supplemental treatment to reverse the metabolic issues of aging. Its helped immensely. This month I am also sending away for a hormone saliva test which will not only give a comprehensive result to all 5 possible hormone imbalances but also recommendations to reverse them. Bit by bit. Eat clean, train dirty friends.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I'm 40 and leaner than I've been since my mid twenties. It is true that we require fewer calories as we age...and to boot, the body naturally wants to hold onto more fat as we age...just look at a BF% chart and you will note that as you age, higher levels of BF are acceptable and healthy...this is because this is totally natural (unfortunately) so being really lean as we age becomes harder and harder. This however doesn't mean you can't lose weight of that it's harder...it's harder to be really lean, but it's not harder to be at a healthy level of BF and to maintain a healthy weight in my experience. It's all still math ultimately.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    I am in better shape at 40 than when I was 20. Good Luck

29509743.png
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    "Over 40 - easier to put on and harder to shift."

True to a degree but used as an excuse far too often. Completely agree with @cwolfman13 - "it's not harder to be at a healthy level of BF and to maintain a healthy weight in my experience. It's all still math ultimately."

I know at age 54 progress is slower but direction is far more important than speed!
  • WineGirlMagic
    WineGirlMagic Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Great to see I'm not alone...and I do agree that 40 isn't the end and that a little extra work is needed.
    sijomial - I think you're right that it can be an excuse for some....I guess the difference is seeing it happen and setting about changing it asap!

My work has taken me away a lot over the last 3yrs and my exercise classes etc have dropped and food change...I knew I was 'at risk' but it seems to have piled on more in the last 3-4 months!

I don't like the idea of fewer calories as I get older and more BF but will try and stay as healthy as possible as that is more important...and you're right about it getting harder so far now and maintain into 50!

Have a great weekend!
  • WineGirlMagic
    Options
    Sounds interesting...I'll look into that..thanks!
  • lisaanne1369
    lisaanne1369 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    45 - feeling great and getting faster! 3 miles in 27:00!
  • 98bikinisuitedlbs
    98bikinisuitedlbs Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I am in better shape at 40 than when I was 20. Good Luck

29509743.png

Better shape at 42 than when I was 20 so true!!! After my microfracture surgery on 7/7 I was able to maintained and lose weight due my sedentary life and on crutches. Started workout 3 weeks ago and I am fighting with those 5 pesky lbs. I typically try to reduce my carbs during weight loss otherwise it is harder. Good luck everyone!
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    40s? Try 60s. Anything you're feeling now will just be that much more so 20 years from now. Still, we only get one body no matter what age we are, and most of us have it within our power to improve our lives by watching what we eat and exercising regularly.

FWIW, I can honestly say that I'm in much better shape at 60 than I was at 59.
  • MicheleJM3
    MicheleJM3 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You aren't kidding. 45, female, 138 pounds, lotsa chunk in my middle. I am trying my best to get my diet under control before I begin exercising. Mind you, I don't eat all that poorly, however, I do need to may more attention to nutrient dense foods. Have been using MFP without much success. I mean, I do think that charting my food makes me pay more attention to what I'm eating, which is grand. However, I'm not losing. Hopefully that will change once I add exercise back into the routine. Sigh.
  • opalsqueak007
    opalsqueak007 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I'm 50, and it is so, so much harder to shift weight than it was at 40.
  • WineGirlMagic
    Options
    Morning, OK - so I'm a week into my 'healthy eating' this time around (been here so many times before!) using myfitnesspal and I am pleased to share that it has been a good start! I know I am only at the beginning of my journey and I may loose at the same rate over the coming weeks but what I've done differently this time is set my daily calorie goal lower (just 1100) but by walking the dog I end up with about (1300 - 1400) allowance ... I've made some good decisions which made me feel better because had enough calories left for a glass or two of wine to enjoy over the weekend - that has made me feel that it's worth it and although it went 'on' a lot easier after 40....with focus I am pleased to say that it has started to shift....I just need to keep this up and that is going to be a challenge!
  • wyrdsister
    wyrdsister Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I agree its easier to gain weight , but I put it down to my body aching so much after physical activity, It takes so long to recover. I find that if i do serious excercise I spend the next 3 days recovering.
  • thegreatcanook
    thegreatcanook Posts: 2,419 Member
    Options
    Yes, you do need to be more careful. On the other hand, it's easier to get in shape at 40 than it will be at 50!!!
  • wyrdsister
    wyrdsister Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Yes, you do need to be more careful. On the other hand, it's easier to get in shape at 40 than it will be at 50!!!
    I dont want to think about 50 forty something is challenging enough.:sad:
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,358 Member
    Options
    I am 65 in two week's time and I am fitter and with more muscle definition than I was at 40. You do have to watch what you eat fairly rigorously and I do a good workout every day, burning around 570 calories. I eat all of them back. The last few pounds were the hardest, but I made it. I have a bmi of 23.31 which is ok for my age. Recently I went on holiday and gained back three pounds through uncontrolled eating and drinking. I have lost one of those and I am working hard on the other two.
    I am afraid that it is a life sentence - no slacking - but the results are worth it, no question.
    Two years ago I was unfit, obese and a shuffling wreck. Today I am fit and slim. I have bad joints on my feet and legs, so walking is limited to under two hours and that amount is painful. I use a rower, an elliptical and a recumbent bike. I also use quite heavy dumbbells for biceps and triceps and lighter ones for other things. Strength training is vital as we get older to conserve muscle mass. I encourage everyone to start with weights.
    Also balance and core exercises.
    I am lucky in that I am retired, but any activity is better than nothing. It takes less than ten minutes to do some dumbbells, the cardio can be done by fast walking. Track all your activity and eat accordingly.
    I have been fat and thin all my life. It was always hard to lose and easy to gain. I feel great at the moment. Over 40? ? ? ? ? You can feel great in your mid 60s.:laugh:
  • ValleySimTech
    ValleySimTech Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Yep. The same thing happened to me. I was slim my entire life until I hit about 45 and then I put on 70 lbs in 5 or 6 years. It started to effect my health so I knew I had to do something. Welcome to MFP and feel free to add me as a friend.