College Student Looking for Healthy Foods!

Options
I am a college student, so I am always on the go! For breakfast I have started eating Special K or Cornflakes with 1% milk, which is great. My problem is what to do for lunch a dinner. I am tired of turkey sandwiches and lean cusines. Any ideas on what else that is quick and good to eat... also I am not a salad person.

Replies

• turnerka956
    Options
    Since you don't like salad, what vegetables do you like? Would you consider adding something like a side of celery or even fruit to your lunch and dinner? Little things like that can help. I'm a college student too, so I know how hard it can be. Hope you find something that works for you!
  • kdeek
    kdeek Posts: 2
    Options
    Are you me? LOL!

I was really about to post this exact same question down to the lean cuisines (which I am eating now!) and the turkey sandwiches. This is my first semester without a meal plan and I am really struggling to find healthy food. My biggest problem is I only have a microwave and a very small fridge. I have stuff for sandwiches and I also bought some fruit and baby carrots but I am not really sure what I can buy. I am also on a tight budget which doesn't help.

I guess I don't really have any advice but wanted to let you know I am right there with you! Hopefully others here will have some good ideas!
  • coypelican
    Options
    Things that are quick for me:
    Sunsweet Ones, dried prunes
    Raw Almonds
    Walnuts
    Sardines and crackers
    Healthy cracker and peanut butter
    Laughing Cow cheese wheels and crackers
    Apples and peanut butter
    Microwave popcorn (the sweet kind)
    Quaker Oatmeal Squares
    Healthy canned soups with pop lids
    Nestles Quick and 1% milk (1 cup is about 130 calories if you used half the quick and still good) I love chocolate.
    Hummus on a bagel half or a wrap, with a slice of cheese
  • ande2994
    ande2994 Posts: 136
    Options
    What sort of kitchen arrangements do you have? I know that can be a limiting factor for college students!

The George Foreman grill is a staple for college living -- compact, lets fat drip off, and frankly almost anything grilled tastes good. If you have a freezer, keep a bag of individually-frozen chicken breasts on hand, along with a couple of spice blends, or splurge for chicken sausages. The Target brand spinach-garlic chicken sausages are just as good as the name brands -- but cheaper!

Also, I never had this in college but I think it would have been fabulous -- a crock pot. Even a little one. You can make soups, casseroles, etc. that are quite healthy with only a few ingredients that will be ready when you get home from class. One of the easiest ever is here: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Slow-Cooker-Buffalo-Chicken-Sandwiches/Detail.aspx (I skip the butter and it's still fine).

I know they're not ideal, but if you can't get to the grocery store frequently, things like applesauce and other canned fruits can supplement your fruit and veggie intake and can be stashed in a corner for months without going bad.
  • whitneybre
    Options
    Lol I am weird. I love veggies, but not a fruit person except for bananas. It is the wrong kind of sweet. I live in a home so I have a full kitchen including a crock pot lol.
  • whitneybre
    Options
    Lol I am weird. I love veggies, but not a fruit person except for bananas. It is the wrong kind of sweet. I live in a home so I have a full kitchen including a crock pot lol.
  • mrb_9110
    mrb_9110 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I am on a meal plan and it's super hard to eat healthy when the cafeteria is serving pizza, pasta and an array of desserts! I find that I do better when I have 5 or 6 small meals throughout the day and have on hand healthy snacks. I also enjoy tuna sandwiches from the local sandwich shop or cereal with skim milk for a small meal.