Do you eat back your exercise calories?

Options
1235»

Replies

• carolinaem
    carolinaem Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Yes. I have a HRM and I eat back all (or close to) each time. As long as I am seeing a good loss each week doing so, I will keep it up (I aim for ~1 lb a week). When my weight loss slows, I will reevaluate.
  • bmele0
    bmele0 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Yes. I also try to account for error. But with only 1290 cals to work with- you're damn right I eat those back, otherwise I might feel dizzy and my stomach lurches. In the beginning, I didn't, but I had 1600+ calories and did very light exercise. I do much more intense/longer exercise now.
  • CLM1227
    CLM1227 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    There are people here who use MFPs calorie burn and only eat back about 1/2 of the exercise calories. Others will use a Heart Rate monitor and use an independent heart rate calories burned calculator to determine their true burn and add those to MFP and eat all the exercise calories back.

I use the HR monitor unless I can't find it, and then I do 50% mfp calculation.
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    When I first started logging food, I was doing it through weight watchers. There, I didn't log exercise and never ate my exercise back.

When I switched to MFP and read the introductory guides, I began to understand the way the deficit was built into calorie goals. WW doesn't explain that to users very well and is one of several reasons I recommend MFP to people over WW.

Since I started MFP, I've been losing at the same rate as or better than WW. Here is what I do:

I set my exercise default to sedentary. I have a desk job and if I don't do much, sedentary is pretty accurate. My exercise is almost exclusively walking or running, so I invested in a fitbit. When synced to MFP, it will track your calories burned and adjust the burn that had been built in for the sedentary lifestyle. I've found that anything over about 3,000-4,000 steps in a day gets me a calorie adjustment. Typically, a 10,000 step day will get me 300-500 extra calories, depending on how much of it was "very active minutes." Ideally, I'd know what my adjustment will be so I can spread them through the day better, but that is not usually the case. So, if I'm hungry at the end of the day, I will eat them back via dinner or evening snacks and feel no guilt. If I'm not, I don't force them into me just because. Its worked wonderfully for me and I average about 1.5 lbs per week. I've never once felt my exercise was for nothing.
  • segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    For the most part I never do.

I try to eat about 2000 calories a day and end up burning about 1750 a day through exercise losing a half a pound a day over the last four months.

I'm in the eat if you are hungry camp personally but once I knocked most of the junk food out of my life I found I really wasn't hungry all that often.
  • amandalechenet
    amandalechenet Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I think this might be my recent problem.

I've lost 60 pounds over the last five years, and I've been pretty successful at keeping it off...except for recently. I've gained about 10 pounds in three months, which is not normal for me. This is the most that I've weighed in a year and a half.

I've tracked everything I've eaten (with the exception of a couple of days) and I've not been eating badly. I'm starting the Feed the Muscle Burn the Fat workout plan in order to focus on reducing my body fat %.

I generally have trouble eating more than 1200 calories a day. And I think this is my issue. I do not eat back the calories I burn exercising - around 400 a day. So I think I'm starving my body, which is why I've been gaining weight. What I do eat is very healthy, non-processed foods.

I'm hoping that if I eat enough (1800, with 400 calories of exercise) the weight will come back off.

Any thoughts?
  • segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I think this might be my recent problem.

I've lost 60 pounds over the last five years, and I've been pretty successful at keeping it off...except for recently. I've gained about 10 pounds in three months, which is not normal for me. This is the most that I've weighed in a year and a half.

I've tracked everything I've eaten (with the exception of a couple of days) and I've not been eating badly. I'm starting the Feed the Muscle Burn the Fat workout plan in order to focus on reducing my body fat %.

I generally have trouble eating more than 1200 calories a day. And I think this is my issue. I do not eat back the calories I burn exercising - around 400 a day. So I think I'm starving my body, which is why I've been gaining weight. What I do eat is very healthy, non-processed foods.

I'm hoping that if I eat enough (1800, with 400 calories of exercise) the weight will come back off.

Any thoughts?

It's absolutely impossible to gain weight because you are starving. You have to know this...
  • msmichelelynn
    Options
    Absolutely. My "diet" is already modified for a calorie reduction in order to lose weight. I see an extra snack as the reward. I'm already building muscle mass (by exercising) and reducing caloric intake for weight loss... I say "carpe diem".

I'm currently only allotted 1200 calories a day. And I'm hungry most of the time... lol :)
  • librarydebster
    librarydebster Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need to eat more. 1200 calories is what doctors used to prescribe in the 60'sand 70's when they didn't know any better.
  • tamarawisniewski
    tamarawisniewski Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I don't. I used to but wasn't losing, just staying the same. I asked a trainer and she said it sort of puts you back where you started before you worked out. So, I stopped and am finally seeing some progress. I suppose it would be different for me if I were doing some major workouts ...like some serious cross fit or marathon running, but since I am just working out like the average mom, it didn't seem to be helping me.
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I try to eat back some of them.
    I swim for exercise and MFP's database states that I'm burning about 1000 calories during my workouts.
    That just seems too high to me :/