How do I fit exercise into my work life? 8.30-6.30 daily?

Options
Hi I'm a student, recently started my internship and I work in my intern place from 8.30am to 6.30pm, with a 1 hour lunch break in between. This is really hard for me as previously as a student, my timetable allows me to exercise at 5pm to 7 pm daily but now I'm at a loss of what to do.

Since it is an internship, I still have my final year project to do in school, which I have to do at night. Any tips on how I can exercise throughout the week and try to exercise as much as I did before? I play field hockey on Tuesday and Thursday nights for about 1-2 hours though and I can exercise on Saturdays and Sundays.

How do you guys fit exercise into your work life?

Replies

• marilandica
    marilandica Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Get up earlier and get in a hour of exercise. Walk to/from work. Take a walk during that long lunch hour. Always take the stairs. None of us are time lords. You have to make the time for yourself.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Get up early and exercise or exercise at night. Since you already have two nights when you are playing field hockey, I would say try adding two mornings, maybe Monday and Wednesday. Then on Saturday and/or Sunday do something as well. Your schedule sounds fairly open and flexible, which is nice because you have the ability to decide whether to work on your project more during the week or on the weekend, while still working out.
  • throoper
    throoper Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Yep - either get up 30-60 minutes early, use part of your lunch break to work out (if you bring your running clothes to work, you can do a 30 minute run and still have plenty of time to eat a sandwich or salad), or just go after work. When I work out after work, I drink a cup of coffee in my last half hour or so to give me a little boost.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,933 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the working world! Many people manage that kind of a schedule with exercise. Do it before or after work, or before bed... use your weekends for heavier exercises.

Also find efficient exercises. Don't be wasting time haha.
  • jchadden42
    Options
    I have 5 children and a full-time job. I get up at 4:50 to work out in the mornings before I get the kids ready for the school day and cart them around in the evening for their activities.

I agree with the walking as much as you can. Take the stairs. Don't take the most direct route to get places, etc.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Check out the Jillian michaels dvds. They are usually short (20-30 mins) and intense and combine both strength and cardio. I can fit in one of these almost any day. Fitting in a 60 minute workout is tough, but 30 is do-able. And since you work out from home you don't waste any time travelling to the gym.

You will def need some dumb bells. A set of 3's and 5's will get you started. If you want to use these workouts in a progressive program you will need to plan on buying more sets as you get stronger. I now use sets up to 20 lbs. but when I started 5's were okay.
  • amorana1
    amorana1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I use my desk for dips and bust out pushups and squats when nobody is looking. I use reams of paper as overhead press weights. I park far away and take the stairs. If it isn't raining, I will park on one side of the building and walk around to the other to come in. I keep dumb bells by my couch at home for commercial breaks.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Consider field hockey a workout and then work out once or twice on the weekends like you said you could. Voila.
  • frisco111
    frisco111 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    respect to you - wow
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    If you get done with work at 6:30...Go at 6:30? I used to think I couldn't do it after a long day but I mean, that's the time you have. And actually you're lucky you have it. Bring your work out clothes with you and go straight to the gym. What's the other option? You can't create more time in the day. Unfortunately.
  • Jennisin1
    Jennisin1 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    You don't have kids, right?
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    You just said you have from 5-7 to exercise. You're question seems kind of moot. You don't even need two hours. An hour to hour and 1/2 is plenty of time for a good lifting session or combo with cardio. You already have 2 nights taken care of with hockey and an hour lunch is long enough to go for a run(if that's your thing) or a good walk and grab a bite to eat. If you don't think you have enough time during the week then do your workouts on the weekends and only add 1 evening or a couple lunch hours. With your hockey that gives you at least workouts....that's more than acceptable.
  • AHealthyMe1lbAtATime
    Options
    I get up at 5AM and do mine. It sucks to get out of bed... but once I'm out it's a nice wake up time. Plus I'm soooo happy when its done for the day!:wink:
  • MelAb8709
    MelAb8709 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Field hockey Tuesday/Thursdays - that IS a workout.

You said you can exercise Saturday/Sunday - that's 4 days of exercise right there.

On the other days of the week, do things like walk more, take the stairs, etc., but you're already working out 4 days a week - this is totally acceptable when you're extremely busy. And your school work is too important - you have to find a doable balance so you don't crash and burn.
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    We are all busy. First thing to realize is that you aren't going to Find time, you have to MAKE time. If something is important to you, you make time for it. Schedule it in, and stick to it. Good luck.

When I first started working I thought I was too busy... I got really big. Then I had a child and I truly was busy, but I knew I needed to set a healthy example so I made time to workout... My life just keeps getting busier, but I know that making time for my health is important for me and my family so I do it...
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    I leave the house at 7:45 and do not get home most nights until about 7. I have a very active dog that needs a ton of exercise to be happy and healthy and a boyfriend who lives 30 mins away. In addition I am president of my football club, I volunteer regularly and I have an active social life.

My point is this, I am busy, my days are long but I carve out the time to work out, just like I carve out the time to do all the other things I need to do too. Being a student is a pretty easy time in your life. Take your internship and schedule shift as an opportunity to work on your time management and prioritization skills. You will be soooo much better off for it once you graduate.
  • lmr0528
    lmr0528 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I'd get up early and go workout before your day starts.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    You just said you have from 5-7 to exercise. You're question seems kind of moot. You don't even need two hours. An hour to hour and 1/2 is plenty of time for a good lifting session or combo with cardio. You already have 2 nights taken care of with hockey and an hour lunch is long enough to go for a run(if that's your thing) or a good walk and grab a bite to eat. If you don't think you have enough time during the week then do your workouts on the weekends and only add 1 evening or a couple lunch hours. With your hockey that gives you at least workouts....that's more than acceptable.

I'd like to point out that OP *used* to work out from 5-7 and now works til 630pm.
    So reading fail.

OP, lucky you, you get to go to work at 830am.
    Get up earlier and do it.
    If it matters to you, you'll make time for it. Simple as that.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I can't get up early, so I go late. My kids go to bed around 8:30 or 9pm so that is when I leave for the gym. It sucks, but it is just the way it is.
  • bigsistruck
    bigsistruck Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Personally, when I had a hectic schedule like that I did not get up early to workout because that just exhausted me and stressed me more. I would just exercise on the weekends and keep doing what you're doing. If you wear yourself completely out it's not going to work, trust me I've been there! Just make sure you stay within your calorie limits.