What do you do with your "fat" clothes?

Replies

• sphkhn
    sphkhn Posts: 456 Member
    I sold some, donated some. I went to Buffalo Exchange, Beacon's Closet, Crossroads I think they have a ton of locations.
  • tejor
    tejor Posts: 14 Member
    Unfortunatly I wear them :-(
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    I donated to goodwill (it's also where I pick up most of my transition clothes). I kept one suit that I wore when I defended my thesis in because I want an after photo in it.

ETA: I typically keep my clothes for one size change. When I'm two sizes down; that's when I get rid of them.
  • adman50
    adman50 Posts: 34 Member
    Sold all my fat suits on eBay and then bought an awesome fitted suit...which I then outgrew it when I discovered the joys of bench pressing!
  • JingleMuffin
    JingleMuffin Posts: 543 Member
    donate :)
  • carrieliz81
    carrieliz81 Posts: 489 Member
    I donated a bunch, and ended up giving some of them to my best friend. And I would go on to say that the only reason they worked for her was because she has a bigger body frame than I do (I'm 5'2" and she is 5'10"!!). She is in better shape than I am and works out all the time. It was a good deal, though, because like you said, a lot of the clothes I had were in perfect condition and I felt bad getting rid of such nice stuff! Luckily I was able to rehome some. :-)
  • EmotionalEater84
    EmotionalEater84 Posts: 311 Member
    Give them to me! LOL
  • mzco14
    mzco14 Posts: 91 Member
    I know the feeling. I've always been a great dresser. The most expensive stuff I sold online: Ebay, Craigslist, Facebook groups. All the cheap stuff I tried to give it away first and then the rest I took to Good Will. It's hard to let go and yes I still have a few things but getting rid of the old is great. Think of all the new things you'll be able to buy.
  • Summer_Lunatic
    Summer_Lunatic Posts: 543 Member
    Burn them. Including the bras. Eff it!
  • raventwo
    raventwo Posts: 91 Member
    I take them to the nearest Susan G. Komen foundation donation box. My mom is a many year breast cancer survivor, and this is one way I can support this foundation.
  • _Clarana_
    _Clarana_ Posts: 73 Member
    Give them to charity/throw them in the trash, depending on their condition.It's the sweetest thing ever. Oh, and my mother occasionally takes some things.
  • kristen2713
    kristen2713 Posts: 253 Member
    A little of all since I went from from 14/16's to size 2 over two years. I needed the money at times, so I sold the nicer/pricey things on e-bay and craigslist. I gave some good stuff to friends who were going through the weight loss phase. I donated a TON. I also put up a few bags of various sizes on my local group's page on this site to try to give away and help someone else once I did not need the money. Unfortunately, there were no takers for that and I just wanted them gone, so I ended up donating even more. I did keep just a few favorites from my size up for those "just in case" moments, but I'm NEVER going back there again.
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Donate or consignment shops.. we have a local shop that is an Upscale Resale and you get a percentage of the sale.
  • jodynolte
    jodynolte Posts: 243 Member
    They were out the door to Goodwill as fast as possible! Good luck!
  • epido
    epido Posts: 353 Member
    I kept one pair of my biggest size pants, but everything else is gone. A lot was given to family members, but now that things are too small for them, I just donate them at church or goodwill.
  • chachadeb
    chachadeb Posts: 275 Member
    Just gave several bags to the Discovery Shop as a donation. Proceeds go to the Cancer Society.
  • cookiekrunch
    cookiekrunch Posts: 65 Member
    I gave them people who wanted them and to Goodwill.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    I wear clothes out... there isn't much that I can donate. And I'm still trying to wear most of my stuff as I'm not a tremendous amount smaller (I have a couple new belts that help) and I just don't want to spend the money on a lot of expensive new clothes unless I think they will fit still when I'm at my goal weight.

With that said, my very well-used clothes go to 1 of 3 places:
    -Rags for cleaning
    -Cloth recycling
    -Kept until someday I add that to the "get rid of pile" and put in one of the above**
    **I don't spend time going through my closet regularly, so I am sure I have a lot of things that don't fit... I'll go through once every year or 2
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Goodwill. If they are tattered or worn out I make dog beds out of them.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Sorry to sound like a broken record because I post this every time I see this question asked (which is often)...

When I had a LOT to get rid of, I went onto some plus size clothing sell/swap sites on facebook for my city & area, and asked permission to post about a garage sale with those sizes available. They let me, and as a result I had a huge (ACTUAL...not online!!) garage sale and got rid of almost all of those clothes within just a couple of hours. Women were coming out of the woodwork and I made hundreds of dollars on what I really didn't feel was THAT much stuff...even at prices of $1-5 on most items. For me, it was a sacrifice of one Saturday morning rather than running around meeting up with people to sell them a dress or shirt for a couple of bucks, that would have NOT been a worthwhile use of my time.

Since then, I've had less to get rid of at once so I mostly donate to various thrift stores, shelters, etc.

Once in awhile though when I have a bunch of stuff at once that is similar in size & style...like 8 professional tops in size XL, or 4-5 pairs of juniors jeans in size 13...I'll list them on Craigslist as a "lot" for one price and sell them that way. Again, it just makes more sense for me to sell 5 pairs of jeans for $10 or $30 (depending on brand and quality) rather than selling each pair separately to a bunch of different people.