"When did you start seeing yourself thinner?"

Options
An MFP friend asked me a good question today, and I thought that this question deserved a post of its own.

My friend said, "No one will answer this for me. When did you start seeing yourself a thinner women? I've lost 72 lbs from 300 and although I can now wear a size 18 pant from a size 28 my mind will not make the connection! When did you see your changes. I know what my numbers say but my mind isn't there. Any thoughts you can give?"

Here is my response:

There were a few special occasions, when I it became very obvious that my body was changing...shrinking.

The first time was, when my under pants would not stay up; and I had to go from size 13 to size 8 panties. That was also about the time that I looked in the wall mirror and suddenly realized that I could see my pubic mound for the first time in more than 20 years. My belly had been hanging over that area for so long.

When I finally found the courage to have my hubbie Ed photograph me in my swimsuit, I was shocked by my fat body. I had not been able to see what I actually looked like from the back until then. The follow up pictures gave me the chance to SEE how my body was changing. That's why I encourage folks to take those hard to look at fat photos. They are a God sent in the future to help encourage you.

Here are a couple of my comparison photos that would not have been possible, if I had not allowed myself to be photographed at a much heavier weight. Photos like these help me to see myself honestly...and also see the changes better.

Comparing06-13-13to07-23-14Side_zps18954f06.jpg

Comparing06-13-13to07-23-14Front_zps876caf50.jpg

Comparing06-13-13to07-23-14Back_zps5c67ac50.jpg

The recent eye opener for me was, when I suddenly noticed in bathroom mirror that my neck was really thin; and my shoulders had narrowed...a lot. In fact, I looked like my Mom!!! That was the first time that I saw my tiny Mom in me. I looked more like my Dad's side of the family, folks who were overweight and had double chins, rounded shoulders and fat pads on their upper back.

Now that my face, neck and shoulders had lost all the excess fat, I could see the shape of my Mom's 'beautiful features' in me. That was the first time that I really liked how I looked in the mirror. Because of my age, I do have some hanging skin on my neck, but I really liked what I see now...a thinner Sue and the reflection of my Mom.

The most recent revelation of change is kind of silly, but I noticed it. My belly used to be enormous and hung over my thighs. My belly button was a huge 'innie'.

To avoid infection in that area, I had to clean and dry that deep hole in my belly with a Q-tip after my showers. About a month ago, I went to clean my innie; and the Q-tip would not go IN. The bottom of my innie is now on the surface on my belly...no longer a deep hole in thick layer of fat.

Sometimes, it isn't the difference in clothing sizes that give you a big revelation about the changes in your body. It is often 'a small change' in how you see yourself...a change that other people might never see or understand.

So, how about you. When did you start seeing yourself thinner?

Replies

• rausharvey
    rausharvey Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Well I sort of refused to buy smaller clothes becuase I knew I was losing more weight and didn't want to waste money. I finally gave in and bought size 10 jeans (two pairs) and that's when I felt smaller. Because they looked smaller and they fit me. Then when I saw the pictures of me wearing them, my legs look so tiny! The difference was between wearing pants that were too big for me and putting on jeans that fit.

It was crazy. Also, this is going to sound crazy, but when I see my hand they just look tinier to me.
  • Hanfordrose
    Hanfordrose Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Also, this is going to sound crazy, but when I see my hand they just look tinier to me.

That's not crazy. We lose weight all over our body. I had to have all my rings resized, because my fat fingers got skinner; and my rings were falling off my fingers. Even my wristwatch is slipping down my arm again. I will need to take out some links in the band again real soon.
  • MamaRiss
    MamaRiss Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I think it really is all about the clothes and the underwear. Getting to the point that I absolutely could not put off buying new clothes any longer, my shirts were all baggy, my pants would not stay on, my underwear bunching up inside my too big pants. I currently have only have one pair of pants that fits, I can't even keep my lounge pants up anymore. And I just ordered a ball dress in the same size I wore to Prom 11 years ago, that was such a shock that I pulled the prom dress out of storage, and sure enough, perfect fit. Mayde me feel almost like my old self, and I'm seeing myself with new eyes
  • bgoodsmile
    bgoodsmile Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Love your pictures and your attitude!!!!

I have lost 17 pound total & just this weekend I realized I can wear some of my "skinny" clothes - and did! :wink:
  • nicoleromine
    nicoleromine Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    This is why photos are so important!

Like you, I didn't realize that I was "skinny" until I started comparing photos, which is crazy because everything (my clothes, the scale, and my friends) kept telling me "hey, you're looking good!" For some reason, my brain could not accept that I actually looked different until I could compare my before pics to my current pics.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    After the first ten pounds. (I'm really short.)
  • tweedledee16
    tweedledee16 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Officially just took off my wedding rings after 75# because they fell off in the shower. I can't risk losing them, so I took them off until I have time to get them sized later this week! As far as the rest of my body, I'm still fighting that "fatvision." That's going to take some time!
  • Glowiie1
    Glowiie1 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I gained about 20-25 lb, went up to a size 12, then I really needed to be in a 14, but I refused to buy ANOTHER set of fat pants in an even bigger size. lol

I first noticed when the 12s actually fit me again and the muffin top went away lol. I can't wait till I have that experience with 10s...and maybe 8s. We'll see about the 8s....
  • SheFitWalks
    SheFitWalks Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I first noticed that my rings were not longer too tight. That was wonderful. The next step I noticed was when my shirts were actually a little loose around the rib cage, upper abdominal area. I was so excited! (I gain weight in my belly mostly.) It really does help to get a new shirt or pants to see what changes have taken place for me! Thank you for another wonderful post, Sue!
  • HanamiDango
    HanamiDango Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I don't yet and it has been over a year of losing weight. My highest weight was 254, and I started MFP at 226, so over 100lbs lost from my highest weight now. I see it in pictures, but there is so much more to lose. I am getting closer to fitting into the size 10 jeans I got from AE and yet am in disbelief over them. In my mind, all my clothes are just really big and are more like one or two sizes bigger than what the tags say. I am hoping I get that moment of seeing myself for what I am sooner than later.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    when people started calling me "naturally thin" LOL. Yeah right! I love telling them I used to fat, so no, nothing "natural" about this body.
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    This really is a great question, kudos to you making it a post for others to sit back and consider.

I'm surprised at how difficult this is for me to answer. I mentally know I am smaller, see it in clothing and at the scale and along the measuring tape but I didn't recognize it when it happened. I actually had a picture taken of me yesterday (I'm usually the photographer so that doesn't happen often) and it was taken with my camera, I uploaded the photos today and thought who's that, actually giggled when I realized it was me and that I looked pretty darn good.

I still don't see myself as others do, not sure if I ever will but I like the way I feel, that's the best reflection I could have.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I still don't see myself as thinner, unfortunately. :(

Congratulations on your transformation, and hard work!!!
  • Sparlingo
    Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    When I pulled out the "skinny clothes" box from the back of the closet and realized that I didn't have to squeeze into any of it - it all fit well, and looked better on me this go around.

Better than when I could see myself as thinner, though, was when I could believe myself to be fitter and stronger. I always knew I could lose the weight again someday, but to get stronger? Part of me really convinced myself that I was a write-off in that department.

Happy to know I was dead wrong.
  • mom2my4boys
    mom2my4boys Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I've been on this journey to a healthier version of me for about 14 months now and i still don't see myself as smaller. i keep trying to shop in plus size stores. I'm completely lost when it comes to shopping for clothes as i've been overweight my whole life. I know i've lost alot of weight. I see the scale and tape measure changing. I notice when i sit in my car that i have to adjust the seat forwards, i notice that i'm getting attention from men that i've never gotten before. I know that i only have 2 outfits (refusing to buy more until i get to goal) that actually fit me properly. I know all of these things in my head, but i'm still shocked when i see my own reflection. I do notice i'm a heck of a lot more critical of my body now than when i weighed 300lbs. I don't understand why i can't see my weightloss, it's weird and hopefully i just need more time to adjust.
  • juliec33
    juliec33 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

For me it was when the security guard in our office building stopped me and said that I needed to take a new picture for my badge. Our building has some pretty serious security (work in the financial industry) and our picture flashes up on the guard's computer when we badge in, just so they can tell that the badge belongs to the person using it. Well, a new guard had recently started and almost stopped me from entering the building since he didn't think that I was the same person as the photo that popped up. The senior guard on duty knows me and had seen my gradual weight loss so he knew that I hadn't stolen the badge. When the new pic was taken I looked at it compared to the old one and that was when it really hit me how much I had changed. I looked very different and I actually liked the way I looked. I keep the old badge photo on the mirror in my bathroom to remind me of how far I've come.

Edited: My ticker shows 0 pounds lost since I just started back and am trying to lose those last pesky 20 or so pounds....my total weight lost so far is 80lbs
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    About 40 lb down, when I started seeing & feeling muscle in my hips & arms & shoulders.
    Then I took in my pants 8" in the waist.
    I can look in the mirror & see a few trouble spots (belly, back of arms, a little in the hips) but overall I think I'm doing OK, and I'm only halfway to my goal.
  • sugboog29
    sugboog29 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    For me it was when I had to move my wedding ring to my middle finger for fear of losing it....and then almost lost it off that finger! Plus I tried on my wedding dress (from 25 years ago) and it is too big! I feel better than I did those pounds ago and need to stay on track to finish my goal.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I'll let you know...
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    by the way OP - you are amazing...this is for you :flowerforyou: and :drinker:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!