what do you eat before a workout

Options
this time i want to know what you guys eat before a workout,and how long to wait before you start ?:bigsmile:
also, does it give you energy?

Replies

• katzplay62
    Options
    When I worked out after work, I'd have a snack around 2:30 or 3 to be ready for a brutal class at 5. The snack would be moderate, half a sandwich or a nutrition bar with a decent protein content.

I work out in the AM now and don't eat til I've showered afterwards. :)

Cheers

Kat
  • marniehodges
    Options
    Good protein and some carbs...I need both for energy to get through the workout! :bigsmile:

Oh and make sure you're well hydrated with lots of water before you go, helps muscles and you don't get as sore!
  • Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    You dont really need carbs, but definately protien! If you take whey protien, wait 30 min before workout. If you eat meat, wait 1 hour
  • trekkiebeth
    Options
    I have half a banana or a small bar a few minutes before I work out in the morning, then eat breakfast after.
  • myladyelliott
    Options
    I can't eat within an hour or more before working out, or I get really sick to my stomach. If I'm working out first thing in the morning, I usually just have a cup of V8 before I head to the gym, then eat breakfast afterward.
  • modernfemme
    modernfemme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I do yoga and a lot of the poses have you on your stomach. I actually try not to workout until about an hour after I eat, and 30 minutes after I work out.
  • ctheslayer
    Options
    I posted this link in a similar topic thread:

http://espn.go.com/trainingroom/s/1999/1112/166818.html
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Nothing before working out. I work out at 4:30 am. I can't eat that earlier. It will hurt my tummy.
  • addman72
    addman72 Posts: 220
    Options
    Nothing before working out. I work out at 4:30 am. I can't eat that earlier. It will hurt my tummy.

Im the same , I'll have breakfast after the workout and shower
  • _Bro
    _Bro Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    You dont really need carbs, but definately protien! If you take whey protien, wait 30 min before workout. If you eat meat, wait 1 hour

Agree with you on the protein.
    Fasted cardio is great and did wonders for me.. However, you do run the risk of burning muscle instead of fat. Furthermore, it's easier to over train and mess up your gains/losses :)
  • _Bro
    _Bro Posts: 437 Member
    Options

Agree with you on the protein.
    Fasted cardio is great and did wonders for me.. However, you do run the risk of burning muscle instead of fat. Furthermore, it's easier to over train and mess up your gains/losses :)

Here's an article on some of the trade offs / things to consider:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/assessing-fasted-cardio-training.html
  • Spitfirex007
    Spitfirex007 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    A banana and a 1/2 scoop of Whey protein.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I usually don't eat before my morning workout.__
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I dont eat before my morning workout either :bigsmile: Working out in a fasted state is supposed to be beneficial in terms of fat loss. Google it.

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • anolan807
    anolan807 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Today before my P90X workout I had a Luna bar. They are really good for Women and it gave me energy for the workout. I had it about an hour and a half before the workout.
  • HilarieXcore
    HilarieXcore Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I used to have some peanut butter on a piece of bread orr between two graham crackers.
    Then lots of water.
    It was the only thing that could get me through a workout & the only thing that could get me through colorguard practice when we started running a lot.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I used to have some peanut butter on a piece of bread orr between two graham crackers.
    Then lots of water.
    It was the only thing that could get me through a workout & the only thing that could get me through colorguard practice when we started running a lot.

Thanks a lot, now I want peanut butter. :tongue:
  • istayfly4her
    Options
    U def don't want to have a big meal.. Something small is great.. But alot of ppl are saying it, protein 30 mins before a workout is great.. A nice protein shake is quick and effective for a nice workout!!
  • wendehaynie
    Options
    i don't eat anything prior to working out. it's best for me but it was interesting to read the prior posts.
  • erikblock
    erikblock Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I workout after work (either 8 p.m. or 6 p.m., depending upon the day), and I always eat a banana about 30-45 minutes before I leave work (and sometimes I have a granola bar with it).

On days that I run out of bananas and have only a granola bar, I notice a definite difference. I have trouble getting through my workout. Sometimes I completely crash and quit partway through. I just can't do it without my banana! :)

-E