Crock Pot Chicken & Bacon Chowder (180 calories)

Options

Replies

• plumsparkle
    plumsparkle Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Bump :)
  • jlp19771
    jlp19771 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Archerychickge
    Archerychickge Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Looks divine...

I bet we could cut the calories down even farther by using 1/2 cup half & half and 1/2 cup skim milk, and by using fat free cream cheese.

Also to the person who asked about the bacon, I think the picture is showing pork bacon, but I bet turkey would be even healthier... Or maybe use just really lean ham that's been seared in a skillet.

As for the sodium, I think you could just about eliminate it depending on the chicken broth you use. If you use regular, don't add salt, and if you use low sodium broth, maybe only use half the salt.
  • Kimdbro
    Kimdbro Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    *bump* Thank you!
  • seventeendayer
    seventeendayer Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    bump
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • DellaWiedel
    DellaWiedel Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Oh, wow, this looks delicious! I was just looking for some yummy low carb soup recipes. Fall is here and I need some soup!

Thanks! :)
  • ladyluch99
    ladyluch99 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    BUMP! Looks yummy!
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    bumping for the yumminess!
  • WadeLam
    WadeLam Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Is it pork bacon or turkey bacon? Looks really good. Thanks for sharing.
    I actually used pork bacon but I'm sure you could lower the overall calorie content by using turkey. If you can recommend a good turkey bacon, please let me know. I haven't found any that I like...
  • bambi2578
    bambi2578 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Bump! Looks awesome!
  • strawberry1969
    strawberry1969 Posts: 1,476 Member
    Options
    bump
  • vmckinzey
    vmckinzey Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Sounds delish. . .thanks for sharing!
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Wow, that sounds delicious!
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Another one added to your AWESOME recipes. Sounds like everything we love. Thanks so much for sharing..
  • ceron1234
    ceron1234 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I love, love…love, love, LOVE Chicken & Bacon Chowder. So, over the weekend, I found a ‘Peace, Love & Low Carb’ recipe, made a few calorie-friendly alterations, and made some. The end.

How’s that for a beautiful story?

Good!!! And I’ll tell you another one. Once upon a time, there was a person. And that person just so happened to be you. And you made this chowder. And you were happy. The end. *Burp*

Here’s how you make it:

Crock Pot Chicken & Bacon Chowder

29lxy7t.jpg

Ingredients:
    4 cloves garlic, minced
    1 shallot, finely chopped
    1 leek, sliced
    2 celery ribs, diced
    6 oz. sliced mushrooms
    1 medium sweet onion, thinly sliced
    4 tbsp. light butter, divided
    2 cups chicken stock, divided
    1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
    8 oz. light cream cheese
    1 cup half and half
    ½ lb. bacon, cooked crisp & crumbled
    1 tsp. salt
    1 tsp. pepper
    1 tsp. garlic powder
    1 tsp. thyme

Directions:
    Heat slow cooker on low setting. To slow cooker, add garlic, shallot, leek, celery, mushrooms, onions, 2 tbsp. light butter, 1 cup chicken stock, salt and pepper. Cover, and cook vegetables on low for 1 hour. While the vegetables are cooking - in a large skillet, over medium-high heat, pan-sear the chicken breasts in the remaining 2 tbsp. light butter just until they are browned on both sides (chicken will not be fully cooked during this stage). Remove chicken from pan and set aside. De-glaze the pan with the remaining 1 cup of chicken stock. Using a rubber spatula, scrape up any bits of chicken that may be stuck to the pan. Add chicken stock to slow cooker. Add half and half, light cream cheese, garlic powder and thyme to slow cooker. Stir until well combined (no visible chunks of cream cheese). Once chicken has cooled, cut into cubes and add to slow cooker, along with prepared bacon. Stir until all ingredients are well combined. Cover and let cook for 6-8 hours.

Nutrition Info (calculated using MFP’s Recipe Builder):
    Servings: 16
    1 Serving: 1 cup
    Calories: 180
    Carbs: 4 g
    Fat: 11 g
    Protein: 14 g

Sounds Yummy but with only 2 cups chicken stock and 1 cup half and half, I don't see any way this makes 16 cups (1 gallon). I don't see more than about 8-10 1 cup servings.

If I were to make this, I would count out all of my servings and then calculate the calories. Total Calories for recipe 2880.

Just be careful
  • funfang
    funfang Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    oh.... I can see myself eating this... have to wait until this weekend.

Thanks!
  • sarieth05
    sarieth05 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Sounds great!
  • Healthy_Hunnie
    Healthy_Hunnie Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    OMG *salivating*
  • heatherv89
    heatherv89 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    replying to keep handy too! will prob sub out with some turkey bacon instead :)