Cheeseburger confusion please help

Options
Yes, i have eaten a cheeseburger from a local rest and it is not a ptty but actual ground beef with a slice of cheese and seseme seed bun, I do not know how to add it. I looked up applebee burgers(not applebees btw) and it was 700 calories I do not see how this burger can be 700 calories when it just had ground beef, meat ,cheese and bun....Can anyone help me figure this out I do not know what to put

Replies

• Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I hate to say it, but for a restaurant Cheeseburger, that is probably accurate, maybe even a little on the light side.
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Depending on the size of said burger, how lean it was, what type of cheese was on there, how dense the bun was and the condiments added to it..yeah, it's entirely possible it was 700 calories.

Doesn't mean I'll stop eating cheeseburgers but a lot of the time, I find I have to "budget" to make them fit my calorie allotment that day.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    sounds about right....The bun alone is almost 200, ok, maybe 150. The cheese is prob an easy 150 because it's not going to be a light slice or a Kraft slice but a couple slices of cut cheese, so that's 300 already and the meat is probably 250-300. Then you fry it on a greasy griddle, unless it's flame broiled. OK, maybe 600 calories.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Bun 150
    Cheese - one slice is typically 110-120 calories
    Beef - typically it's 80% beef I think, and then it depends on the size of the patty... 4oz for a smaller burger... most restaurants use 6oz patties I believe... so 300/500 calories just for the beef.

There you have your 800 calories, without counting condiments and sauce.
  • science24
    science24 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I cant figure out what to put down, Like what cheeseburger should I use because its a local restaraunt
  • eimaj5575
    eimaj5575 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Just put 850-900 to be safe and call it a day. Its just one meal. Over estimate and move on.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I cant figure out what to put down, Like what cheeseburger should I use because its a local restaraunt

Just use something comparable, like a plain Cheeseburger from Chili's, or Applebee's, or Red Robin, or IHop. There are a ton of places to choose from. Unless it was a specialty burger, it shouldn't be too different from those places.
  • science24
    science24 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    It was a plain cheeseburger with nothing on it but cheese, supposadly grilled , but I worry about the sodium and sugar and etc to thats why I dont know what to put down
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Sounds pretty accurate to me. When I make cheeseburgers at home, using the leanest beef I can buy and only exactly 1 oz of cheese, it works out to about 600+ calories. 700 cals for a restaurant burger is very probable, if not underestimated.
  • StacyReneO
    StacyReneO Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    That sounds about right, maybe a little light actually (it's probably more like 800-900k). You are looking at 200-300 alone for the bun, 100 for cheese and you are looking at probably at least 1/3 lb.s ground beef used in the burger (about 300k for and 80% lean burger) and another 70-90k for whatever they use to bind the meat (sometimes eggs and breadcrumbs).
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    This cheeseburger is missing bacon... I can see where the confusion comes into play.
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    This cheeseburger is missing bacon... I can see where the confusion comes into play.

^^^ You're hired as my personal meal planner!!!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    I would just enjoy it first.

Just add the components or just add a burger from a similar restaurant.

Gonna make some of these at the weekend.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/ricotta_beefburger_25500
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    It was a plain cheeseburger with nothing on it but cheese, supposadly grilled , but I worry about the sodium and sugar and etc to thats why I dont know what to put down

One meal. One day. If you're off by a few calories - you just are. Sometimes we have to estimate things. There is no other solution and no one on MFP will be able to tell you exactly how many calories you ate. Chalk it up and move on. You really are overthinking this.
  • ChildrenCryinNCoffee
    Options
    Just because they list it on the menu as 100% Beef or Angus, doesn't mean it always is. Some places add filler to make the burger patty larger and heavier, to avoid too much shrinking while cooking. Also, you don't know the lean count of the meat. Also, you don't know the exact seasonings used, nor the sodium content. Nor the ounce weight of the cheese. Was is a white sesame bun? wheat? sourdough? pretzel? Different dough=different amount of calories, fat and sodium.

Anyways, point being, it's definitely at the higher end of the caloric scale, 700+.
  • EmotionalEater84
    EmotionalEater84 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Good GAWD! If you're worried about it that much you shouldn't have EATEN the damn thing .. sorry, truth hurts.
  • F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Just put 850-900 to be safe and call it a day. Its just one meal. Over estimate and move on.

When I eat at a local place without nutrition info available, I do this. Don't make things too difficult.
  • akoivisto
    akoivisto Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    When it doubt, over compensate for what you've think you may have eaten if you cannot accurately weight it. ^Like what they said. Bam.

EG: I had a burger at a local greasy spoon? I assume the worst. :)
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I would estimate close to 650 for a "grilled" burger with cheese only from a restaurant.

I can easily make a turkey sandwich at home that's 500. Toppings, bread and cheese add up fast.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Coincidently, we're having homemade cheeseburgers on homemade rolls tonight so I just entered it:

4 oz. 80/20 beef: 290
    1 oz. cheddar: 110
    1 roll: 234

That's 634 for a relatively lean and puny cheeseburger with nothing on it yet.