New to MFP - 41 y/o male ~~250lbs to goal of 200lbs

Options
I've never before tried to watch what I eat or lose any weight. I'm a 41 year old father and I hit 250 pounds last year. I'm about 6'2" and the doctor told me I need to lose about 50lbs. I slowly crawled from 185 to 250 since college as I became more and more sedentary, I'm at a desk all day for work.

I'd like to get down to 200lbs - get off of HBP meds and just feel better and live longer.

I started on MFP last week and have a calorie goal of 1700 per day and am finding it's not as hard as I thought. For now I'm not focusing at all on eating 'healthy' - just eating less.

I'd like to connect with people in similar situations to talk about tip, successes, struggles etc.

Kevin

Replies

• boonognog
    boonognog Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    My recommendation would be to also start a workout routine. My wife and I joined a gym and got personal trainers... I cannot begin to tell you how transformative it has been for us! She's down over 100 lbs and I dropped 50 lbs before my trainer started focusing on gaining muscle.

I would strongly encourage you to do it! For yourself and those you love... Trust me, it's well worth the investment! :)
  • DM01234
    DM01234 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Congrats for taking that step! I also sit at a desk for work and know very well how middle age makes it's impact.

Friend request on the way....
  • funchords
    funchords Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Welcome! 5 pounds lost in a week! How good does that feel??? :-)

Change like this is about baby steps, and letting each little success motivate you into the next baby step.

My first week commitment was just about logging and walking 30 minutes 3x a week. I did that and started making a little change here and a little change there. I recently hit my 60 day mark: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1433376-60-days-of-logging-turns-into-motivation-and-changes

Congrats on a great first week!
  • Tydeclare44
    Tydeclare44 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Hey brother, if you ever need help, feel free to add/ask me anything!
  • robingoldman1234
    Options
    Congrats on 5 lbs! I need to loose 50 lbs as well. I haven't weighed myself. I am going to wait a month, which will be next week. Good luck to you! I am very competitive but I don't think I could ever loose 5 lbs in a week. You are an inspiration to me!
  • francotramelan
    Options
    Hi Kevin, feel free to add me, I'm 44 and so far I've lost 61 pounds in less than 4 months, so if I can do it, so can you! ????
  • Domineer
    Domineer Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    funchords wrote: »
    Welcome! 5 pounds lost in a week! How good does that feel??? :-)

Change like this is about baby steps, and letting each little success motivate you into the next baby step.

My first week commitment was just about logging and walking 30 minutes 3x a week. I did that and started making a little change here and a little change there. I recently hit my 60 day mark: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1433376-60-days-of-logging-turns-into-motivation-and-changes

Congrats on a great first week!

Great story. I read your Reddit page. Very inspirational. Friend request on the way!
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    I am going to add you as a friend,
    as I am 5'8 /40 and would also like to hit the 200 mark.
    maybe I can learn from you.