Proteins for vegetarians?

Hi guys!

I'm new to myfitnesspal and I am mega excited. I used to use another site for tracking but have heard so much about myfitnesspal that I decided to use it!

Anyway's I am located in the UK and my question is this

Where as a vegetarian can I find good protein sources?

I noticed that I was eating very high carbs and not enough protein, even with my peanut butter and shakes! I used to have protein shakes a lot but I'm a bit bored of them now so I was wondering where else can I get them?

Thank you

Replies

• HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,839 Member
    google "vegetarian protein sources list" and you'll find lots of lists with great suggestions.
  • myrtille87
    myrtille87 Posts: 122 Member
    I think on a vegetarian diet you're likely to have a higher intake of carbohydrates than people who eat meat. That doesn't mean you can't get plenty of protein, just that you'll probably be getting a fair bit of carbohydrate along with it.

Beans, lentils, chickpeas etc. all contain protein (as well as carbs) and you don't need to serve a load of other carbs (rice, pasta, potatoes etc.) with them if you make them into a complete meal with other vegetables.

Frozen edamame/soya beans are easy to add to things towards the end of cooking.

Dairy products have a fair bit of protein but also fat. Milk, cheese, yoghurt, etc. If you want the protein without too many extra calories, you can get low fat Greek style yoghurt.

Tofu is another good bet - the Cauldron firm stuff (which you can definitely get in Tesco and Sainsbury's) is quite useable. Wrap it in kitchen towel and press between 2 plates for a while to squeeze some water out and firm it up a bit before marinating and frying for stir fries. Good in a thai green curry with asparagus and baby sweetcorn. If you find preparing the tofu yourself too much effort, there's also a Cauldron marinated version which is already in cubes and ready to throw into your food.
  • Thanks so much guys!
  • I'm on a low carb vegan diet and get plenty of protein. Some of my protein sources include:

Nuts, particularly various flavored almonds
    Peanut butter
    Tofu
    Soy products
    TVP
    Seitan/vital wheat gluten
    Tempeh
    Black soy beans
    Protein powders

If you don't want to go low-carb, chickpeas, beans, and lentils are another good source of protein. If you eat dairy products, Greek yogurt, cheese, cottage cheese, and eggs are also high protein sources. Whole wheat products also tend to have decent protein. Protein in veggies and fruits add up as well.
  • IconStillFree
    IconStillFree Posts: 262 Member
    Egg
  • Hemp seeds and chia seeds are excellent sources of vegan protein. They are actually "complete proteins" and do not have to be combined with other foods to get the 9 essential amino acids required by our bodies.

http://greatist.com/health/complete-vegetarian-proteins
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Beans girl.
  • I've been a vegetarian for over a year now, I usually eat a lot of beans and lentils, hummus, chia seeds and hemp hearts (mentioned before!).
    I find a cheap quick eat thats high in protein is a stir fry with rice, mixed beans (usually kidney, chick peas, black beans, lentils), and mixed veggies. I put it in a tortilla wrap with some hummus and man oh man!
    Greek yogurt is fab too!