LADIES that started lifting!! Please help

Options
Behxo
Behxo Posts: 1,190 Member
Okay so let me start off with the basics. I am a 5'3" female that weighs about 160 lbs and eat about 1,400 calories a day. My plan of attack is normally cardio (I took kind of a long break after finishing JM's 30 Day Shred, took about 3 weeks off whoops :ohwell:) starting this week being an hour on the elliptical and an hour walking (taking weekends off) but I want to start getting some lifting in there. How does one go about starting that? I'm completely clueless when it comes to it lol TY! :]

Replies

• brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    Your best bet is to look into an established strength training program. You can check into books/programs like "You Are Your Own Gym", New Rules Of Lifting For Women, Starting Strength, or Strong Lifts.
  • wpwarrior88
    wpwarrior88 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I enjoy the simplicity of Stronglifts.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    If you have access to the gym
    Starting Strength
    Strong lifts
    New Rules of lifting for woman

If you do not have access to a gym try
    NerdFitness.com
    Strengthunbound.com
    you are your own gym
    convict conditioning

all good places to get you started on strength training- which includes progressive loading- which is how you get stronger.
  • Behxo
    Behxo Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • luvmydawgs
    luvmydawgs Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    This is how I started.

I would go to the gym and run, stare at the machines and wish I was brave enough to use them. Then I got brave and went over and started using them, the ones that looked the least scary.

I got pretty good at them and I could see a difference but I wanted more. So one Saturday at 8am, after downloading Jamie Eason's program on bodybuilding.com and I started in the free weights. I have been lifting for about 6 months now. I love it. I feel super sexy and I love the way my body looks. I currently made up my own program and use JEFIT to track it...

This week I am starting a new program I bought from an online coach and I am super excited.
  • gettinthere
    gettinthere Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I also like the free programs on bodybuilding.com
  • BaDaSsBrUnEtTe
    BaDaSsBrUnEtTe Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I was also going to recomend bodybuilding.com they have free weightlifting programs on their website????