Cardio: why the hate?

Options
Ok, that is pretty glib question so I will elaborate. Four months ago I started running (well running/walking/dying) because I needed to exercise and running is free, and it turns out I really love it, like it's actually something I enjoy.
If what I've been lead to believe by this forum and others is right, if I keep just running and losing weight I'm just going to become weak and squishy and the dreaded Skinny Fat. I don't want to stop running, I want to run more. I have a 10k booked and I want to run marathons and ultramarathons, but I also don't want to look like a bag of mashed potatoes :frown:

Have I just gone insane, or is this correct? I've found something I enjoy and is good for me, is being squishy just part of being a runner?

Replies

• aneary1980
    aneary1980 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    in for the replies
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    A long, long time ago it was considered that cardio was a necessity to lose weight.

Then some people came along and said "no, you can do that using diet alone" and while it is a good thing to do it is was not a necessity.

Then we all suddenly became overly preoccupied by aesthetics and the need to maximise muscle or muscle retention to the nth degree and suddenly it was "Cardio makes you fat brah! Not HIIT cardio though playaaaaa."

It seems doing what is enjoyable is absolutely forbidden when it comes to the altar of maximum muscle retention. Obviously we are all bodybuilders in reality.

In the real world a couple of resistance training sessions a week (doesn't have to be barbell training - can be your own body weight / kettle bells / small children used as resistance) coupled with some cardio and a healthy, balanced diet has always worked rather well but that is dreadfully old fashioned dahling.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Next time an athletics meeting is on the telly have a look at the female athletes - do they look squishy to you?
    Yes you can be a fit runner and squishy but it's not inevitable!

Lots of (non-resistance) cardio combined with a too big calorie deficit and inadequate diet is a pretty good guarantee of a poor outcome as regards body composition and looks when you get to maintenance but none of those things are compulsory.

If you fuel your exercise properly, have a balance of cardio and resistance exercise and an appropriate calorie deficit it will give you a much better chance of the body you want.
  • SwindonJogger
    SwindonJogger Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    i woud recommend supplementing your running with resistance exercises anyway. It will help in avoiding injuries and make you a better runner.
    Running is my primary exercise but i also use kettlebells and bodyweight exercises to strengthen my core and legs.

For example:
    http://www.runnersworld.com/workouts/10-essential-strength-exercises-for-runners?page=single
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    My passion is running but I also cross train including weights as it helps prevent injury and actually improves my running, plus is means my upper body is starting to look as good as my legs!
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Bump, as I am transitioning from walking to jogging/ running at this point and I am wondering if I should add weights to my regimen.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Check out 10 k races or marathons. Ohh the horror, all this belly fat, rolls of loose skin ... Check dancers, aerobics instructors, cyclists... just disgusting, they are soooo squishy!

Yes, this is sarcasm. In real life, the only people I have seen hate cardio are the ones who really have zero stamina and are embarassed of their performance (or even too embarassed to start). Running is not going to destroy your muscles, same as a couple of hours of resistance training will not have you look like a professional body builder.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    If you like running then run. It's great for conditioning and heart health, and it will certainly allow you to eat more than you otherwise could and still lose weight. If you want to firm up though, do some strength training. It doesn't have to be weights.
  • jessilee119
    jessilee119 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I'm of the belief that anything that gets you moving and makes you feel (and ultimately look) good is something worth doing. After high school I stopped being active and I regret it now, but I'm more active now and stronger (able to jog longer and lift heavier weights) even though I weight a lot more.

I too have recently upped my efforts and am now jogging/walking instead of just walking and each week I'm jogging a little longer. I signed up for my first 5k this month and am so excited.

I do have dumbbells at home and do lift a few times a week. Nothing major, but I'm seeing muscle definition start to form under my layer of fat that I still need to lose (I feel it!) :happy: I've noticed too that doing the weights has helped me feel stronger when jogging too. I think having both is a good balance for strength and heart health.

Congrats on finding something you love. Don't give up on it. If someone doesn't feel cardio is worth it tell them it works for you and move on with your day.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    I actually used to like running too. There isn't anything wrong with, in fact, there are benefits. There are some cons though- skinny fat can be one of them, but to combat that just add some resistance training. Running took a toll on my feet, but I had some pre-existing issues.

Once I started lifting though, I haven't looked back. I prefer it. Give weight lifting a chance and see what you like better. I've found that a combination of both (with more emphasis on weights) has yielded the best results for me.
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I am a runner and I am not squishy.
  • leomcdee
    leomcdee Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I really hate a lot of 'traditional' exercises; running, gym, body weight, interval training but I LOVE swimming so that's what I do for fitness because I stick to it.

I'm not too bothered about composition at the moment, more concerned about being a healthy weight, but I imagine when I get to that weight, my attitude will change and I'll want to be toned.

So, I have a question too. Is swimming good for toning up? And instead of weights could I do yoga? I'm so clueless when it comes to this stuff.
  • Glowiie1
    Glowiie1 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Ditto to what everyone else said. Just add some resistance training, and you'll avoid the skinny fat look.

I'm a marathoner and I do resistance training a couple times a week. I've found that cardio + weights = maximum fat loss, personally. See what works for you!
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I love running... I do about 40-45 miles a week... when I'm not training for a long race (50k or more), I also lift weights twice a week. I am not squishy.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    A long, long time ago it was considered that cardio was a necessity to lose weight.

Then some people came along and said "no, you can do that using diet alone" and while it is a good thing to do it is was not a necessity.

Then we all suddenly became overly preoccupied by aesthetics and the need to maximise muscle or muscle retention to the nth degree and suddenly it was "Cardio makes you fat brah! Not HIIT cardio though playaaaaa."

It seems doing what is enjoyable is absolutely forbidden when it comes to the altar of maximum muscle retention. Obviously we are all bodybuilders in reality.

In the real world a couple of resistance training sessions a week (doesn't have to be barbell training - can be your own body weight / kettle bells / small children used as resistance) coupled with some cardio and a healthy, balanced diet has always worked rather well but that is dreadfully old fashioned dahling.

:laugh:
    "That was in the Before time, in the long long ago."
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Why is it always either / or with the cardio vs. weights thing? When you do both, they both get better. And screw what anyone else says, do what you enjoy. Unless you enjoy torturing animals. Then just run.
  • abbeyjones1994
    abbeyjones1994 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I really hate a lot of 'traditional' exercises; running, gym, body weight, interval training but I LOVE swimming so that's what I do for fitness because I stick to it.

I'm not too bothered about composition at the moment, more concerned about being a healthy weight, but I imagine when I get to that weight, my attitude will change and I'll want to be toned.

So, I have a question too. Is swimming good for toning up? And instead of weights could I do yoga? I'm so clueless when it comes to this stuff.

I'm curious about the swimming question too. I swim 2-3 days a week, and usually do videos 2-3 days a week as well; wondering if those videos should be more focused on strength, or if my Zumba is cutting it.
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Zumba is not strength training.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    1. People who run exclusively as a form of exercise aren't skinny-fat unless their diets encourage it, they aren't running as much as they say they're running, or they're still overweight.

See Exhibit A.

hall_goucher_boston_zpsca0f3862.jpg

2. Strength training is always good. Add it in. It doesn't have to be heavy lifting if you don't want it to be. Sprinters add in strength training and plyometrics to improve performance in their sports.

See Exhibit B.

sprinters1_zpsad2cfcbf.jpg

3. There are a million ways to get from Point A to Point B. Pick the way you like the best.