Anyone else constantly change their goals?

Options
At first my goal was to drop 70ish pounds and do so however. A week later my goal is to drop 80 or half my body fat%, to run a half marathon, to strength train 3x a week, cardio 6x, and I told myself weekly weigh ins but now I find my self on the scale as soon as I wake up hahaha

Replies

• debariosr
    Options
    Change is Good!
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    I have constantly changed goals on MFP, but my overall end goals haven't changed much. Although I do think I want to get down to 155 instead of 160. Not sure, I just want a low enough body fat to have really good definition before I bulk up!
  • tpaceltsfan
    tpaceltsfan Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I change mine all the time. The more comfortable I become with my body I realize it is ok to stay at my current weight. Goals help us stay motivated. If you are aiming at the same target for a long period of time, it gets boring!
  • alligatorrawr
    alligatorrawr Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I have constantly changed goals on MFP, but my overall end goals haven't changed much. Although I do think I want to get down to 155 instead of 160. Not sure, I just want a low enough body fat to have really good definition before I bulk up!

I'm having that problem too. I know I am happy, healthy and comfortably at 170, but I don't think I've been 160 since 5th or 6th grade so I kind of want to do that. hahaha. but I rather be strong soooo we will see when I get there!
  • bradsbaby1996
    bradsbaby1996 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Yes! Almost a year ago (Sept 29) when I weighed 264 pounds I just wanted to weigh 164! And be healthy also! When I got there I decided I wanted to weigh 160.. now I'm at 154 and building muscle!! I think I wanna be 150 possibly 144..

However, it wasn't until July that I realized I wasn't as healthy as I thought. . I fixed the problem and now healthier than ever:-)
  • _sirenofthesea_
    _sirenofthesea_ Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    At first my goal was to drop 70ish pounds and do so however. A week later my goal is to drop 80 or half my body fat%, to run a half marathon, to strength train 3x a week, cardio 6x, and I told myself weekly weigh ins but now I find my self on the scale as soon as I wake up hahaha

This time around I'm limiting myself to smaller, short term goals - My first one was four weeks committed to eating healthy and following a specific plan - and I just acheived that one! Now, I have a new 28 day goal - and this go round I'm making small weekly goals - because meeting my goals is giving me some motivation to keep going!
  • squishprincess
    squishprincess Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    i change mine kinda frequently, as i feel comfortable. sometimes i wanna maintain, sometimes i wanna lose a little, or even gain a little! just depends on how i'm feeling and what i've been up to and dealing with.
  • lmr0528
    lmr0528 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, mine definitely change all the time, as well as my workout plans. My husband and I had a long talk a few weeks ago about it. I was all upset that I didn't feel like I was accomplishing anything. Now he doesn't me change anything for a good 6 months, lol. I have to stick with something for awhile before I totally change my mind again.
  • MrsSullivan08
    MrsSullivan08 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I changed my mind as far as my ultimate goal weight. I wanted to originally just be between 140-145 but now I want to be between 135-137. When I get there I will decided if I want to keep going lower or if I am satisfied at that weight enough to maintain.
  • independant2406
    independant2406 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I've done this! Its kind of a form of fantasizing and Its exciting to think of all the things that could be once the weight comes off. I found though usually I get frustrated after obsessing about all the "I want this" and all these lofty goals eventually make me mad (because they seem so far away) instead of making me want to push harder.

I'm trying this time to set smaller more manageable goals at first. This time I'm setting 20lb goals and just keeping my eyes on the road to get to that spot. I'll tackle the next one when I get there... hoping this will keep me from feeling burned out. :)
  • NoMoreBlameGame
    NoMoreBlameGame Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Constantly, no...but I did lower my goal weight after I discovered I'm an inch and a half shorter than I was 20 yrs ago (that was a buzzkill).
  • Aine8046
    Aine8046 Posts: 2,122 Member
    Options

This time around I'm limiting myself to smaller, short term goals - My first one was four weeks committed to eating healthy and following a specific plan - and I just acheived that one! Now, I have a new 28 day goal - and this go round I'm making small weekly goals - because meeting my goals is giving me some motivation to keep going!
    Same here. I set small goals (like loosing 10-15lbs) as they are more realistic and eazier to reach. As i rea
    reach them i set new ones.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    No not constantly, but they have changed.

I hit GW in Feb...decided I needed to lose more so set another one...10lbs lighter...hit that in May, ate maitenance over the summer and have decided to drop another 5lbs...

As for Fitness goals they have stayed pretty constant however with my weight lifting the length of time it takes me to hit my goals is irrelevant now.

If I can ever bench my BW I will be impressed with myself...If I can squat 2x my BW or even 1.5 I will be impressed but that isn't such a priority now...
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I think having new goals is the way to stay on top of my weight/health/fitness for life. Without a new goal, I have no drive or motivation. My plan is to always have a goal. Right now it's weight loss. Later it will be running a half marathon or completing in a triathlon. It's good to keep things fresh.

However, I don't recommend changing them every week (not sure if serious or exaggerating in your op). That shows a lack of focus. If you don't have a focused and achievable goal, you will most likely give up.
  • alligatorrawr
    Options
    Yes! Almost a year ago (Sept 29) when I weighed 264 pounds I just wanted to weigh 164! And be healthy also! When I got there I decided I wanted to weigh 160.. now I'm at 154 and building muscle!! I think I wanna be 150 possibly 144..

However, it wasn't until July that I realized I wasn't as healthy as I thought. . I fixed the problem and now healthier than ever:-)

:D that's wonderful!!! What an amazing job! I'm 240 now, (5'9") I would LOVE to see 160!! (by July, my birthday!) Congrats on challenging yourself! and ll the hard work!!
  • woofer00
    woofer00 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Perpetually. I set baby step goals I can crush in a month, so I keep tweaking to extend further. I'm always tweaking nutrition to make sure I feel fulfilled when I eat.
  • alligatorrawr
    Options

Same here. I set small goals (like loosing 10-15lbs) as they are more realistic and eazier to reach. As i rea
    reach them i set new ones.

I have mine broken up, the first half, should be easier. then I am going to start jogging and challenging myself for the last 40. that's a good way to see it tho, have monthly goals! I think my first is going to be sticking with my new routine!
  • KatieKansan
    KatieKansan Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I change mine a lot too.. I also weigh everyday. Sometimes its frustrating when I hit plateaus but I have managed to stay in check!!
  • alligatorrawr
    Options
    I think having new goals is the way to stay on top of my weight/health/fitness for life. Without a new goal, I have no drive or motivation. My plan is to always have a goal. Right now it's weight loss. Later it will be running a half marathon or completing in a triathlon. It's good to keep things fresh.

However, I don't recommend changing them every week (not sure if serious or exaggerating in your op). That shows a lack of focus. If you don't have a focused and achievable goal, you will most likely give up.

I know right now my goal is AT LEAST 170 and a half marathon, I guess I should wait until then to pick a new goal! (I'm a planner haha) but that's a great way to see it, new goals to keep pushing ourselves!
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I changed from a goal of 125 to 120. I want to get there then add 10-15lbs of muscle.