Why I Love To Run

Options

Replies

• LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I love trail running...alone. One of my most favorite memories ever is a 10 mile trail run during a heavy snowstorm. There was not a single soul out except for me...even the animals were hunkered down...it was blissfully quiet except for a quiet crunch of my shoes on the snow and the most beautiful day ever. The trees looked like they were covered in powdered sugar. If I close my eyes, I can still picture the snow falling around me running on the trail.

It's really hard to beat a good winter trail run... they can be absolutely magical....
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I run because I can . My wife is disabled and Bedbound. I run because I can everytime I go out of the door I give thanks that I can. Occasionally I feel guilty leaving someone who has been stuck in a bed for years to run. She tells me I am running for her. My stories and Pictures of my runs inspire her and keep her going, I doubt I could be as strong as her but I run for her as well as myself and for all those other people who due to many reasons cannot enjoy the joy of such a basic human act.

f4a0a3fc-f595-42b5-8022-8a58aba640b0.png
  • drewmmm
    drewmmm Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I get the idea. I also love running. It frees the mind and gives me a wonderful feeling. Also, maybe someone would enjoy this http://theoatmeal.com/comics/running I certanly did.
  • LoneWolfRunner
    Options
    I run because I can . My wife is disabled and Bedbound. I run because I can everytime I go out of the door I give thanks that I can. Occasionally I feel guilty leaving someone who has been stuck in a bed for years to run. She tells me I am running for her. My stories and Pictures of my runs inspire her and keep her going, I doubt I could be as strong as her but I run for her as well as myself and for all those other people who due to many reasons cannot enjoy the joy of such a basic human act.

Thanks for posting this... you are a good man...your wife is blessed to have you
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    Love your post!
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options

Tears as I read this.......you are such an inspiration to those of us that still have to walk part of every mile. Thanks Doob.
  • lmmenard78
    lmmenard78 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I love the challenge of runnng, the freedom of running, and the excitement of runnng! Running has changed my life in so many ways. I couldn't live without it :)
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    Yay!

I read why I love rum first.
  • LoneWolfRunner
    Options
    Yay!

I could do a post on that, too... especially if it was Kraken Black Spiced Rum... Would that make us rum runners?
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options

:heart:
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    Yay!

I could do a post on that, too... especially if it was Kraken Black Spiced Rum... Would that make us rum runners?

I would run alllll dayyyyy longgggg for Kraken.

Running has helped me manage depression like nothing else. Glad I started and am so blessed to be able to continue.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options

:heart: :heart:
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I've been running 12 montsh now and its a passion I wish I'd discovered far earlier in life. I love the head space it puts me in, the peace, quite and tranquility of an early morning in the countryside, noticing plants, flowers, the call of a Buzzard as I run and seeing the seasons change. The feeling of invincibility I get from having completed a run in driving rain and actually enjoyed it as it made me feel so alive! I also enjoy running with new friends from my running club as they push me on and encourage me to be the best I can be. if I'm not running I'm thinking about running, I even dream about running.

The only thing I'd minorly disagree with the OP on is cost - I'm killing a pair of trainers every 2-3 months, same for sports bras and compression wear. These I need to run and its expensive, I choose to spend on race fees as I like shiny medals on colourful ribbons and I've not had to buy a t-shirt for months!

My name is Sam and I love to run!
  • Pinkranger626
    Pinkranger626 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I love to run. I'm finally getting back from a hip injury that sidelined me for 2 months and as painful and frustrating as it was, the thing I missed the most was my runs. There were a couple times where I was in tears from frustration and I said to my husband "I just want to go for a run". It is my stress relief, how I figure out problems, and come up with ideas, how I connect with one of my cousins, and so much more.

I love that running allows me to find my inner peace and in that moment everything is ok, even if it's not.
  • farmerpam1
    farmerpam1 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I'm not a runner, but loved your post. I'm a hiker, and it sounds very much the same head space. I do run sometimes on the trail though, if it's not straight up bouldering. I love to scramble as fast as I can, I love being alone out there, I can count on seeing no one on the rainy, foggy, magical days, when everyone stays away. Again, thanks for the post. :flowerforyou:
  • JenniDaisy
    JenniDaisy Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I love running for the biomechanics, sounds totally mad but I'm studying for a Health Sciences BA and I'm really into the human body (lol).
    I love how every time my foot hits the floor millions of years of evolution is absorbing the force and propelling me foward, How my lungs are drawing in more air as needed, How my perfectly designed heart is pushing extra oxygen round my perfectly designed cardiovascular system, How my brain is flooded with chemicals to make me go faster and harder.Everytime I want to give up, I think of a thousand generations of humans who had to run to eat.

Humans are designed to run and your body is capable of wonderful things if you try it.
  • in4nomz
    in4nomz Posts: 230
    Options
    Ahh I love this, so well said :smile:

Running can be such a struggle, but the feeling I get when I finish a race or just a leisurely run is the best. Knowing that I was able to push myself both physically and mentally through it...soooo awesoooooome. :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I love this. Thank you for posting.

I think I started running because I didn't think I could do it. Now I run because I can do it. I decided years ago that even if I never lost a pound... even if I gained more weight... that I would NOT stop running. And here I am, heavier than when I made that decision, still running. I started running to lose weight. Now I want to lose weight to improve my running.
  • Jillian130
    Jillian130 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    A great post. I too, love to run because I feel accomplished and at peace with myself. It took me a long time to enjoy it because I never liked running as a kid, but as an adult I've gained a fondess and appreciation for it. Its helped me lose weight and help me find inner peace during a difficult period in my life.

I have a neighbour who is very obsessed with running...she calls it an addiction. She is in her 60's and no matter the weather she is out there racking up the miles day after day after day. She tells me she feels "anxious" and "out of sorts" if she cannot get out to run. She could run laps around me quite easily on any given day. She is a great inspiration.

Great post, and thank you for sharing.
  • LoneWolfRunner
    Options
    I think I would like your neighbor...