What boosts metabolism?

Options

Replies

• GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Neither. Exercise lets you eat more food since you are more active, but your metabolism remains the same.

Resistance training and getting enough protein will allow you to maintain a higher amount of lean body mass so that your metabolism is higher at the same weight.

Wrong. Metabolism is what turns your food and nutrients into energy, among other things. When you exercise, you expend energy. Once energy is gone, you need more. Your metabolism speeds up the process of breaking down food and nutrients to supply your body with more energy. When you are through exercising, your body is still going on the inside and trying to replace all the depleted energy. That's why metabolism is boosted for hours after your workouts.

You're right about having more lean body mass to have a higher metabolism.
    Exercise increases your TDEE, but does not change your BMR, which is what I am referring to and what most mean when they say "boost metabolism."

TDEE = BMR + TEF + TEE + NEAT

TDEE = Total daily energy expenditure
    BMR = Basal Metabolic Rate, energy burned just being alive.
    TEF = Thermic Effect of Food, energy burned in digestion
    TEE = Thermic Effect of Exercise, energy burned through exercise
    NEAT= Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis, energy burned during normal daily activity

+1

No such thing as "boosting your metabolism." If you want to eat more, exercise more. Also refer to what The_Enginerd said about resistance training to be able to consume more calories at the same weight.

ETA: Lesson of the day - Don't flat tell someone they're wrong. They may just put your butt in school!

SheGlows, I know exactly what The_Enginerd is referring to. There's no "put your butt in school". I'm not new to this. Exercise does boost your metabolism, but it doesn't boost your BMR, much like The_Enginerd said.

If I could clone myself and all things being equal between the two of us. If one of me worked out every day and one of me didn't, we would have the same BMR, but the one working out would have a higher metabolism the majority of time. Why? Because metabolism is increased from exercise. Did you not read my post? The more energy you expend, the more energy your body needs, and faster your body will turn food into energy: metabolism. It's not a permanent thing, but during and after exercise, temporarily, metabolism is at a faster rate.

I think this has to be correct based solely on the fact your heart rate stays elevated above your resting rate for a fair while after you finish exercising. Like sometimes several hours depending how vigorous your workout was. Your central temperature is also likely increased very slightly, even after you think you've cooled down. This stuff is a sign of increased metabolism resulting from exercise.
  • mommyrunning
    mommyrunning Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Both can slightly alter metabolism short term from what I've read. I remember reading info from a study that talked about the body burning more calories for a period of time after exercise but can't find that study now. So below are 2 articles that I believe explain the answer to your question in a simple manner.

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/anatomyandphysiology/a/rmr.htm
    http://www.runnersworld.com/person/amby-burfoot

The second link was messed up. Sorry.
    http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/anatomyandphysiology/a/rmr.htm
    http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/can-you-really-boost-your-metabolism?page=single
  • tuzaque
    tuzaque Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Water melon or paw paw
  • monicastricker9
    Options
    metabolism is boosted short term by certain excercises. The best thing to do is maintain activity throughout the day. What often happens is we will get a good hard workout in and remain sedentary the rest of the day. Also the building of muscle will burn more calories throughout the day. If you are eating right this will result in weight loss. However, some people seem to think if they workout for one hour a day they can eat for the other 23. Find little ways to keep your activity high throughout the day.
  • AmrOnTop
    AmrOnTop Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Garlic, green tea and red bell peppers.
    WNYEj9G.gif
    I disapprove of your shenanigans.
    Good for ya.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

No.
  • AmrOnTop
    Options
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Ice cream trucks.

When I chase it my metabolism burns in high gear.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Cold Thermogenesis
  • lim12371
    lim12371 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It's the exercise, especially if you do it for a good amount of time. You get the afterburn, which is metabolism working on overdrive. I go to Orange Theory and they stress to run at push pace and it's all about getting in the orange zone, which is level 4 out of 5 on the performance chart. We wear a heart rate monitor and you can see your progress on the screen. Blue zone is easy, Green zone is normal easy pace, orange zone is pushing yourself and you fight to stay in the orange, challenge level zone. Red zone is the all out pace. You don't want to be in that zone for extended period. If you are at orange zone for most of the hour class, then you can count on getting after burn for two days after, so that is the metabolism working.

They body is always in a state of metabolizing nutrients that the body receives, but it works harder the more exercise you put in, so that it is used to burn the calories.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,951 Member
    Options
    What boosts metabolism?

IMO, nothing to any real measurable extent.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Why don't you worry about boosting your NEAT instead? Do this by strength training, eating the proper balance of carbs, fat, and protein, and moving around more when you're not exercising. The greater the lean mass to fat ratio on your body, the higher your NEAT will be. You'll burn more calories just doing normal stuff like walking around your office or cleaning your house or walking to the mailbox.

In short, sit on your *kitten* less and burn more calories.
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    Staying out of starvation mode is good for your metabolism... Lolz

(That is a joke, by the way)
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    BMR is your Base Metallic Rate
    Nope. Basal metabolic rate.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basal_metabolic_rate
    "rate of energy expenditure by humans and other animals at rest"
    "About 70% of a human's total energy expenditure is due to the basal life processes within the organs of the body (see table). About 20% of one's energy expenditure comes from physical activity and another 10% from thermogenesis, or digestion of food"

So we only have control over about 20% of our caloric expenditure.
    Make the best of it: do aerobic exercise.

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/may/16/health/la-he-fitness-muscle-myth-20110516
    "Claude Bouchard of the Pennington Biomedical Research Center in Baton Rouge, La., who has authored several books and hundreds of scientific papers on the subject of obesity and metabolism... told me that muscle, it turns out, makes a fairly small contribution to RMR.
    ... muscle, contributes only 20-25% of total resting metabolism.
    ... intense aerobic activity like running burns twice as many calories per hour as hard weightlifting, and the metabolic boost from added muscle is not nearly enough to compensate for this difference... "
    green tea andor or caffeene (sic). Nicotine really boosts your BMR.
    Nope.
    Caffine & nicotine increase your heart rate & blood pressure.
    Excercise increase your daily calorie expenditure but does not increase your BMR.
    Sort of. It certainly increases your calorie expenditure, and it temporarily increases your metabolic rate, and it has the potential to affect your BMR slightly by increasing muscle.
    Gaining muscle will increase your BMR.
    Slightly, though if you're also losing fat the balance won't be very noticible.
    http://articles.latimes.com/2011/may/16/health/la-he-fitness-muscle-myth-20110516/2

The author says on the first page:
    "... let's use me as a guinea pig and do the math. The 20 pounds of muscle I've gained through years of hard work equate to an added 120 calories to my RMR... However, I also engaged in a lot of aerobic activity and dietary restriction to lose 50 pounds of fat, which means I also lost 100 calories per day of RMR. So, post-physical transformation, my net caloric burn is only 20 calories higher per day, earning me one-third of an Oreo cookie. Bummer."
    Muscle takes more to maintain than Fat does pound for pound.
    Finally, true!
    1 lb of muscle uses 6 cal per day, 1 lb of fat uses 2 cal per day.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MKEgal/view/2014-08-05-does-building-muscle-actually-increase-rmr-684479

"Here's the second page of the article I'll talk more about below:
    http://articles.latimes.com/2011/may/16/health/la-he-fitness-muscle-myth-20110516/2
    It references 3 studies which showed that weightlifting does not increase RMR. "
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    What boosts metabolism? I know healthy food and regular exercise will help.
    But If you had to pick one over the other, which would you say has the higher impact in getting the metabolism revved up?
    Thanks !!

Bodybuilding, the more muscle you have the faster your metabolism
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    WNYEj9G.gif
    Good for ya.
    being "good for you" isn't the question.

OP asked what boosts metabolism. The items you listed do not do that.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    What boosts metabolism? I know healthy food and regular exercise will help.
    But If you had to pick one over the other, which would you say has the higher impact in getting the metabolism revved up?
    Thanks !!

I dunno....but no matter what, please don't go buying those awful pills and whatnot that stupid Doctor Oz is peddling.
  • AmrOnTop
    Options
    WNYEj9G.gif
    Good for ya.
    being "good for you" isn't the question.

OP asked what boosts metabolism. The items you listed do not do that.
    Congratulations.