Depression and weight loss?

Options
I doubt that I am the only one who has dealt with depression ever in there life. So I am asking has anyone ever over come depression while trying to lose weight to be more healthy? I have been trying and I keep slipping off track and landing into the depression I'm to lazy and can't do it state. Then I let life distract me from my weight loss goals. Everytime I try fixing my motivation and find where I went wrong to fix it, it always comes back to my negative thinking. :grumble: It is frustrating really. I have been to the doctors but they tell me lose weight, be more active, sleep earlier basically sends me back to square one. To show everyone how passionate I am about changing I deactivated my facebook < one of my major distractions. I have accomplished weight loss goals in the past over a year ago but I got into a very frustrating and draining relationship I don't blame it but it has a lot of why I have negative thought and make myself feel worthless. Worrying about others and how your life affects theres really takes it toll on you and your body. I found that out the hard way. :cry: I don't drink smoke or do drugs so I am very sober person and you would think it would be easier to have clear positive thoughts. But I just don't know. Has anyone ever over come this problem? My self image is what brings me down the most. Some advice would be very appreciated thanks for reading :smile:

Replies

• IvyLuci
    IvyLuci Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    First off, can I offer a (friendly, and hopefully not creepy) hug? It is hard when it seems like everything is stacking up against you.

I would suggest trying to find a doctor that is willing to treat your depression, whether you choose to take medication or just have therapy sessions.

For me, exercise is what helps me feel better. When I started my weight loss, I was going to the gym where my cardio was the treadmill. It is the most boring thing imaginable, so I made sure I have music with a good rhythm. I also figured out that if you put text in front of me, I can walk for hours. Trashy magazines ftw :-) I would get off the machine and feel lighter for the rest of the day. Even now, if there is more that 2 or 3 days between exercise days I start to feel mopey.
  • lqichick
    lqichick Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I agree you need to treat the depression, and I would treat it first- at lest until you do start to feel better.

As one who has chronic multi-drug resistant depression, all of life is hard. No matter what you do to try to "snap out of it" always goes by the way side, and the depression wins.

It wasn't until I got my depression as well under control as I will likely ever get it, that I felt I could go and do things and continue with it.

Good luck, if you have any more questions, seek me out.
  • inkedShimewaza
    inkedShimewaza Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Hey there. Feel free to PM me if yopu like. I have been dealing with chronic depression (among other MH issues) my whole life. I used to be embarassed about it, but I've kind of swung the other way. Now I try to be an advocate for mental health issues and try to use my situation to help others whenever I can. As you can tell from my profile pic, I am certainly not a slim person (LOL), so I am in no position to offer weight loss advice. However, I can give you some advice on the other side of the equation. If you have chronic depression, that needs to be treated as any other health issue would! If you are listening to advice from your general practitioner,DON'T! Go to a mental health profession. If you need medication to assist with your condition, a psychiatrist is way more qualified to help determine which medication is for you and what dosage. And I can tell you from personal experience, sometimes it takes a while! Depending on the psychiatrist you find, it may also be worth seeing a psychologist/therapist to try to work through the issue as well. I see both a psychiatrist to monitor my meds and a therapist to help wit the day to day stuff that goes along with chronic depression and my other issues. Sorry if I'm rambling! I guess this is a long winded way of saying that, if you have issues with depression and issues with weight, treat them both.
  • shelbikinz
    shelbikinz Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Today is my first day on MyFitnessPal. I'm sorry that you are dealing with this. I also suffer from depression and anxiety. I'm ashamed to say I have tried to self-medicate in the past with drinking and other things I'd rather not talk about. I'm now turning to health and exercise to try and feel better. Good luck to you with all you do.

-Shelbi
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    I wanted to point out that you are one step ahead of most people because you are aware that negative thinking is causing your depression. I highly recommend a book called Feeling Good by Dr. David D. Burns. It's cognitive therapy that you can work on on your own. Basically changing your negative thought patterns. Believe me when I say that I understand it's an uphill battle and seemingly neverending. From experience I get it. But it can be done. It takes effort on a regular basis. Sometimes we feel too tired to make the effort but that doesn't change the fact that that's what it takes. If only it wasn't so hard, right? :grumble:
    Anyway, I recommend that book. One of the first things it covers is how you view yourself. Something most depressed people have in common is they view themselves as unworthy, not good enough, a loser, etc. We all have certain aspects of our character that we can improve on but we're not total losers. We have good qualities. We really do. We are not all bad but we let ourselves believe that we are. Look at it this way - imagine someone telling you horrible lies about someone you love. You wouldn't simply accept it. You'd reject the lies! Well, we do that to ourselves. We accept as fact these harmful, negative, false thoughts that we have about ourselves and that colors our view of the world around us. I could go on but I'll stop there. It can definitely help you with your self image. Again, kudos for recognizing the problem. You're ahead of the pack!
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I've not 'beaten' my depression. It's just part of me.

I figure it this way.....if I'm in the right mood, I'm going to feel mopey regardless of what I'm doing. Since that's the case, I'd rather be mopey doing something I enjoy, and maybe enjoy it a little less fully than sitting at the couch, half pining for whatever it was I didn't go and do.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    I sympathize completely with your situation. I've lost 40lbs and I have a lot more work to do to get where I want to be physically, but mentally my head is still playing catch up. If you need a friend in a similar situation, shoot me an invite.

My only advice would be to keep at it. You may not feel like exercising every day, but I've found the depression is lessened by working out. Endorphins are amazing. =)
  • s_pekz
    s_pekz Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I have chronic depression as well a generalized anxiety disorder. There was no way I could tackle the weight issues until I was finally stabalized mentaly. Ive had these conditions for over ten years. It took until this year for everything to finally settle down.
    General practitioners are fine for temporary depressions or standard cases but you really should try to see a psychologist, psychiatrist or other counselling services. CBT can help but its not the be all end all. For me I tried everything and eventually went to medication. its made a world of a difference for me.

DO NOT FEEL GUILTY ABOUT NOT GETTING OUT THERE. part of depression is apathy and lack of motivation. Its not your fault. With time and help this will pass. You need to give yourself more credit. You are here today and thats soemthing.

Also while exercise and weight loss cna be good for depression its not going to "cure" it. YOu need to find ways to address the mental illness itself.

After ten long years of *kitten* I can finally say things are relatively stable. I now work as a social worker (which is a very triggering field) but things are going smoothly. Its taken years of recognizing my symptoms and learning to work with them. Weight loss has only been a recent addition to my treatment plan.

It takes time. Give yourself time.
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to come back and add that this is a very individual thing to deal with. Everyone speaks from their own experience and it's great that so many people want to be open and honest about their struggles. However, what works for one person may not work for another. What doesn't work for one person may work wonders for another. Some get great results just from exercise and improved diet. Some need cognitive therapy. Some need medication. Some need a combination of two, three, or several things to see improvement. Just keep trying and don't give up.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    I knew that if I got into better health my mood would improve. But none of that was possible until I began treating my depression/anxiety, and that only truly occurred after consulting with a psychiatrist.
  • bradsbaby1996
    bradsbaby1996 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I just want to let you know that there is possibly hope! I am 35 and have suffered major depression all my adult life and was on medicine, swapping at least every 2 years due to it would stop working.. I also had (have) fibromyalgia and diabetes.. a year ago (Sept 29) I changed my life forever because the doctor told me the week before that I had to go on meds for diabetes. I did not want to!

So, long story short, I have lost 110 pounds (264-154) and about 4 months in I completely came off all medicines!! I feel better than ever before! Yes I still have days where I feel crappy.. but I will take an occasional day over every day anytime!

Hang in there and don't give up hope!! I truly hope things will turn around for you!
  • KpopGrad92
    KpopGrad92 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling of falling of the wagon with depression. Since I was 17 it has been a merry go round of it. Five years later I am still a work in progress. I attend therapy regularly, right now only on a monthly basis, and am on the lowest dosage of my medication. I would get a second opinion from another doctor. My regular physician is the one who decided to medicate and get me set up with a therapist. Both him and my therapist have agreed that when I am not in control it makes it near impossible for me to be focused on weight loss. They have both recommended it would help but have never pinpointed it as THE reason for my issues.
    Also I was involved in a toxic, manipulative, lying friendship. Getting out of it and putting it behind me has been a huge relief and after some work with my therapist I have seen a real difference in me.
    Best of luck mate and I hope everything ends up okay for you, Much Love.