net calories

Options
hi - i'm pretty new on MFP, so i'm still trying to figure it all out. i was just looking at the report about net calories, and i'm confused about what my ideal net calorie amount is? my daily goal is 1,430 calories, so higher on days that i exercise. does that mean i should be striving for net calories of 1,430? it's odd, becase my report shows some days in the negative net calorie range, even though i've been right on or under my calorie goal.

can anyone help?

thanks!

Replies

• spackham
    spackham Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I am new too and have been wondering as well.
  • Steelytop
    Steelytop Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    If you click on My Home it shows you Goal, Food, Exercise and Net.

For me today my goal is 1600 and I exercised 625 calories. I ate 2198 calories and my net was 1573. 27 calories remain. So, they're adding 625 to my max total (which was 1600 but is now 2225) for the day due to my exercise. But even when I eat all of that my net is minus 625 calories from my total ate (2198). Make any more sense? ;)
  • briandeveault
    Options
    As a simple rule, for people who weigh 300 lbs, that means they have to intake 3000 calories per day, with no exercise to maintain that weight. Same goes for a person weighing 200lbs intaking 2000 calories per day and no exercise. So if your daily intake is 1430 and you exercise and burn 300 calories per day your ultimate weight will be 115. I hope this makes sense. Just multiply weight by 10, and thats what your have to be intaking on a daily basis to maintain that weight.

So as a rule of thumb lets just say your ultimate goal weight is 120 lbs. You need to intake 1500 calories per day, and do about 20 to 30 minutes of aerobic exercise per day (walking, running, elyptical...etc) to burn that 300 calories. Then your daily caloric intake will be1200, and over enough time you will attain your goal weight.
  • melzteach
    melzteach Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Welcome. This is what I understand about the calories. if you eat your daily goal you should loose weight. Try to get as close to that number as you can without going over. You really shouldn't be under 1200 or your body will go into starvation mode and start storing fat because it thinks you're starving. On days when you exercise, you need to "eat the calories" you burned while exercising. For the same reason. I recommend getting a heart rate monitor (HRM) so you can be accurate with calories burned while exercising. I also suggest reading "Skinny Chicks Don't Eat Salads". I'm reading it now and it clearly explains why you should eat small meals 3-4 hours apart to loose weight.
    Good luck in your weight loss journey. I'm sure you'll find lots of support and great friends here. :smile:
  • briandeveault
    Options
    In that instance if it shows your daily caloric intake is 1430, and you exercise, it will subtract how many calories you burnt from the daily intake(providig you come in under your daily net). When this happens its good and it means you will lose weight.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    If I'm uderstanding you correctly, you are referring to the bar graph in the reports section showing negative calories. Mine does too, usually on the first 2 days of the week. I'm not sure why. Somedays I've been over on those days.
  • amysambora
    Options
    Hi :)

The way MFP works means that your NET calories should be 1430. That's why if you exercise, it gives you more calories to eat. The reason for this is that 1430 calories is the amount MFP has determined you should be eating in order to LOSE weight. When you exercise, you burn off some of those calories, meaning you are eating LESS than you should and you may either lose weight too quickly, or not lose due to your body not getting enough nutrition and wanting to hold onto your fat stores.

A lot of people on here try to eat half of their 'exercise calories' back, just in case MFP has overestimated the amount they have burned! That might be a good place for you to start. Your best option is to try and get your net as close to 1430 as possible, and definitely keep it above 1200 (eating less than that can be detrimental to your health).

Basically I've just reworded what everyone else has said, hopefully amongst all the differently worded answers you'll find one that works for you :)
  • lkirkby
    Options
    i think that all makes sense...i have a feeling that the report just isn't working right, as i KNOW i haven't been negative in net calories any day. thanks for the explanations!
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    If I'm uderstanding you correctly, you are referring to the bar graph in the reports section showing negative calories. Mine does too, usually on the first 2 days of the week. I'm not sure why. Somedays I've been over on those days.
    I've experienced this same thing. Drives me nuts.