Eating healthy on a budget

Options
2»

Replies

• ChildrenCryinNCoffee
    Options
    We live in southern California and are a family of 6; Me, Derrick and our kiddos who are 10, 7, 4 & 1.

We budget. A lot. I spend less than $125 a week on groceries.

Feel free to add me, check out my Food Diary and check out my Instagram; (@Mermadeintheshade) where I post every meal I eat and a recipe link.
  • winslett08
    Options
    Try couponmom.com a lot of manufacturers coupons. you can use them anywhere :)
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Two suggestions: Get a membership at Costco/Sam's Club, and plant your own veggies. Yes, the second one requires a lot of prep and work, but with a good yield, you can fill your freezer with veggies to last all winter.
  • sbjmorgan
    sbjmorgan Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    If you're shopping at kroger, also buy fuel from there. Once you spend over a certain amount per month, they send you custom coupons, make sure your address is correct in your plus card membership info (you can log in on kroger.com)

There are also some coupons for organics and fresh foods online. Harder to find, but they are there. Kroger also sends out mailers, called MyMagazine, to targeted groups so you might get one if you buy more veggies on a consistent basis.

Meijer's mperks will save a lot of money, too, but they tend to have better deals on veggies on a weekly basis regardless. Their frozen veggies aren't as wide in selection as kroger.

Look into whether costco is worth it for you, they sell $8-9 bags of frozen stir fry veggies that can't be beat :) you can get cheaper meat at Meijer though.
  • missmaesson
    missmaesson Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm from the Netherlands so prices are different here, but I spend €200,- ($260) a month for 2 persons. But my strategy is the same: dried beans instead of canned (to make your own humus!), no 'pastasauce' but canned tomatoes (makes a better sauce with less sodium and sugar), less meat (and when we eat meat, we eat relatively small portions). Making multiple batches, freeze them for later. No soda. Lots of all purpose flour to make muffins and cakes (which I freeze as well) and pizza's. You can make pizza out of French baguettes! Coffee I do buy, that's expensive here. Almost no alcoholic beverages.

Try following some foodblogs that focus on cooking on a budget. www.budgetbytes.com, http://goodcheapeats.com/, http://www.poorgirleatswell.com/ Maybe you can get some inspiration there? I alway buy seasonal, and then Google for recipes that sound tasty and cheap. Sometimes it works to just leave out the expensive stuff ;)
  • PhitnessWorks
    Options
    Thanks for the replies!

We do have an Aldi and Dollar Tree. I normally shop at Kroger but think I'll check those two places out!

If you have a BigLots in your area try them as well....they also have low cost on name brand cereal.