How to prevent loose skin during and after weightloss.

Options
I haven't lost a large amount of weight just yet, but I do plan on doing so.
A few years ago I lost a bunch of weight and gained it all back plus more.
A friend of mine recently told me that if I loose weight now
I'm gonna have really loose skin. I think she was just being extremely negative.

So, do you guys have any work out recommendations or tips to prevent loose skin?

I'm too young for bat wings ;/

Replies

• Live_To_Win
    Live_To_Win Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Lift weights, lift heavy weights while losing
  • marthalgutierrez92
    Options
    Will do, Thank you!!
  • DagobaGirl
    DagobaGirl Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure, but I've heard if you lose the weight gradually and are simultaneously toning along with cardio that you can prevent excessive amounts of loose skin. No one can promise you that you won't, but if you take preventative measures you can minimize it in the very least. Keep your skin well moisturized with lotion as well. Since you're young your skin might bounce back better, but if you drop the weight fast your body won't have time to adjust with you. I'm going through the same journey girlfriend, so solidarity!
  • holman78
    holman78 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I lost about 90 lbs initially, then gained back 10 in muscle (gradually). Anyway, I have a bunch of loose skin esp. around my mid-section. Adding muscle has helped "fill it in," but also putting lotions on regularly seems to have helped. I am also resigned to the fact that I may have it the rest of my life, which I'm ok with. It's a constant reminder of the "damage" I've done to my body when not caring for it and it gives me impetus to keep healthy.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Most of it is based on how elastic your skin is. You're young so you have that going for you, but genetics is genetics. You can look to your mom to see how she rebounded after pregnancy and you'll have a pretty good idea what you will have to look forward to.

That being said, hydrate, start a progressive strength training program and - most importantly - don't rush the weight loss. Slow and steady gives you some time for for your skin to adjust, plus it helps you keep the weight off long term.

Lotions, etc help make the skin feel better, but only surgery can remove any real excess skin you may have left at the end.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Lift weights, diet rich in nutrients (vitamins, minerals fats), don't have an aggressive weight loss goal (2+ lbs a week) and hope you have good genetics and adequate skin elasticity. :laugh: . Also, some suggest using creams/oils to help your skin.

Also, if you have lost and gained several time, its going to increase your chances of loose skin. And it's probably based on your current weight, that you will have some.
  • astroophys
    astroophys Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have any nutritional recommendations for this? The body is constantly making new skin cells that push themselves to the surface as the older ones die off and shed.

Since the skin contains blood vessels, sweat glands, etc; I have read that exercise (both cardio and strength) is crucial for preventing post-weight loss loose skin. In addition, proper hydration is key.

The way my weight loss is going (and the way I remember myself when I lost weight the first time many years ago), I will probably have a lot of loose skin when it comes to my breasts, unfortunately (skin genetics + childhood obesity + adulthood obesity/overweight does a number). I may opt for cosmetic surgery to get rid of the excess skin.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,299 Member
    Options
    The best answer I can think of is to take it more slowly. By all means tone up and everything. Take heart that at your age you should have plenty of elasticity in you skin and do not over think the issue.

All the very best. from a much much older person
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Also, OP, if you want some inspiration, check out http://www.myfitnesspal.com/profile/cybered312

he is one of the mods and lost over 300 lbs. He had to have surgery but I believe he blog documents all of it. I agree with Mr.M, weight loss and health is way more important than some loose skin which can be taken care of with surgery.
  • marthalgutierrez92
    Options
    Thanks guys, you're all so helpful!!

I'll do as advised!

As for lotions, is there any specific lotion you recommend?

And I agree, I'd rather have loose skin rather than remaining an unhealthy lifestyle!!
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    No personal experience here, as fortunately my skin seems to be pretty good, but it is something I have been mindful of this time when I was losing weight, especially at the start of my weight loss programme as I was losing weight so fast. At the moment I'm purposefully keeping my loss rate to about 1.5lbs a week, to give body enough time to adapt to the new smaller sized me.

Nutritionwise, I would say lots of healthy fats perhaps, and definitely lots of vitamin e-rich foods. I believe hazelnuts and sunflower seeds are two good ones, and am sure there are plenty of others.

Product-wise, you can get some really strong vitamin e oils and creams, and some sort of regime where you use them every night could be good. I know also many swear by bio oil and cocoa butter, and perhaps the same goes for them, use them at night to give them the maximum time to do their work. Coconut oil on the skin is supposed to be pretty good from most accounts, but not sure if it promotes any regeneration or healing, or just has a nice effect.
  • fire7ice
    Options
    I was wondering about this too.. after watching a TV program where someone lost a huge amount of weight in a short time.... and was left with unsightly rolls of loose skin on belly and inner thighs. And they were doing a huge amount of exercise every day.
    And yes, they had to have the loose skin cut off by surgery.
    I don't want loose skin... or surgery.... so hope that losing weight slowly wont leave me with too much loose skin.
  • Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I asked a friend of mine who lost over 110 pounds how she avoided excess skin, she had been very overweight for most of her life and is in her mid 30's. It worked for her, when I asked my doctor about it, they said it won't work for everyone. She took a prenatal vitamin, as well as vitamin E supplements as well as fish oil supplement (which are all suppose to be good for the skin). Lots of water for hydration, lost the weight slowly (a goal of 2 pounds per week), did both cardio and weight training. The other thing that she did was use Bio Oil (this is also recommended for pregnant women to avoid stretch marks (which worked for me in my last two pregnancies). So far (though I have lost only 15 pounds and don't have as much to lose as her) it is working well for me.
  • marthalgutierrez92
    Options
    You guys are friggin awesome thanks for the information.

I will take it all into consideration!! :D
  • ltlmb
    ltlmb Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I heard that any lotion with cocoa butter is supposed to work really well! I have just started using it so I can't speak from experience yet but I can keep you posted :) I also would add the same as everyone else, especially with strength training. That really helped me a lot when I was losing weight before :)
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    All good tips from people ... I definitely agree with the lifting and the hydration ... and now a point of view from the "I have a bit of loose skin myself" camp:

My stats are not that far from yours:
    SW: 279
    GW: 174
    CW: 173
    Total loss (to date): 106
    Height: 5'10"
    I'm now in maintenance, running an ever so slight deficit, with plan to be in the mid to upper 160s by next summer.

I dropped weight quickly, driven by health concerns, including rising blood pressure and severe knee pain (I was facing knee replacement surgery if I didn't get my weight under control).

About a month ago, when I hit the 100 lbs lost mark, I was lamenting to my wife about the loose skin at my waist. She ever so "nicely" said someone along the lines of "hey bozo! don't you remember what you used to look like? that bit of loose skin is NOTHING compared to the 100 lb inner tube you carried around your mid-section for the last decade. Oh, and by the way, you have less loose skin now than you had last month, and I'm sure there will be less next month, and the next month, and the next ... "

She was right. It put it all into perspective. I may never achieve perfection, but I look d*mn good in comparison to where I started on Jan 1.

So, ignore your friend's negativity. Lose the weight, look good (loose skin or not) and feel great!
  • DaniTheGirl85
    Options
    Nice thread to see.
    I'm in the middle of my weight loss journey and just now I started lifting heavy, to prevent a lot of loose skin and also to look more fit.

But flatlndr has a point, and it motivates me to no end to. When I get down to the end of my journey I wanna be happy with what I accomplished and it's important to not let loose skin get in the way.

Just work hard now and focus on your goals.
  • Val8less
    Val8less Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I've heard that you should: 1) put lotion on your skin everyday....2) Do toning exercises (resistance bands or weights)
    If you lose the weight with no toning you'll just be "Skinney Fat"....like Jonah Hill the actor...
    He lost lots of weigh, but he still looks chunky...lol
  • LiminalAscendance
    LiminalAscendance Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I've heard that you should: 1) put lotion on your skin everyday....2) Do toning exercises (resistance bands or weights)
    If you lose the weight with no toning you'll just be "Skinney Fat"....like Jonah Hill the actor...
    He lost lots of weigh, but he still looks chunky...lol

Are you sure that isn't loose skin?