I feel like I'm not getting enough food

Options
I am 25 - 135 pounds and I want to lose 10 pounds. I am set on MFP to lose .5 pounds a week. I am 5'5"
I have a desk job 8 hours a day.

This gives me 1380 calories per day.
I get up at 4:15 and I am home at 7pm.
I work out 3 days per week - running 5-6 miles.

I also add in my walking steps that MFP counts for me adding an additional 150 calories for 10,000 steps. I usualy don't get 10,000 steps. Anywhere from 3000-5000 most days.

I am so hungry. It is not bored hungry either. I will sit in meetings at 11am after eating breakfast at 9am and my stomach will be grumbling so loud I have to excuse myself from the room. Then at 2pm after I just ate my lunch my stomach will be grumbling and all the way home on the train my stomach will hurt.

I eat a quest bar first thing in the morning.
I have cereal and milk at work or an Omlet with veggies.
For lunch I either have a wrap or Chili and grapes or an apple.
Tons of protein, tons of fiber...

I sometimes have a coffee.
I drink diet soda and Water.

This brings me to less than 300 calories for dinner and no snacks (on my non-workout days).
everything I read says. I just save more for dinner and then I eat what I want.

I have no calories to "save" I have nothing I can transfer over for a snack. I eat every last morsel of food and still go over my goal. I can't take any food from lunch because it is not even satisying me until dinner they way I am eating.
I am stagnant in my weight because I am consuming about 1600-1800 a day on non-workout days becuase I just need more food.
On workout days I can stay under my calorie goal because adding in the 5 miles of running I can eat 1900-2000 calories.
But i still eat 1all the calories on those days becuase I am starving.

Am I not eating enough? Am I not eating the right foods?
Should I do strength training (ugh hate it) instead?
Is my body not meant to go below 130?

Thank you for your input.

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    The last 10 can be hard. It might. Benefit you to switch to the TDEE method, and just take 100-200 calories off there. Let it go slow. I would also highly recommend adding on some strength training so that your loss doesn't come from muscle. Look at where you can substitute some lower calorie foods as well. Snack on celery and other lower cal veggies to help feel full. Get adequate fat at each meal as well. Often that can help with feeling satisfied. If you're legitimately hungry, eat. Drink plenty of water and stay hydrated. I have noticed in the past that sometimes I feel less snacky when I lay off the diet sodas it could totally be my head, though.
  • afortunatedragon
    afortunatedragon Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Well, normal portions of cereals and a wrap will hardly get you to 1000 cals

Don't really understand, what you mean with the 150 cals for 10.000 steps which are not 10.000 steps but more 3000 to 5000.

1350 doesn't sound much. Sure, your calculations are correct? Your BMR is at 1350 but this is the amount of calories you need to keep you at your current measurements if you would sleep all the time.
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    The last 10 can be hard. It might. Benefit you to switch to the TDEE method, and just take 100-200 calories off there. Let it go slow. I would also highly recommend adding on some strength training so that your loss doesn't come from muscle. Look at where you can substitute some lower calorie foods as well. Snack on celery and other lower cal veggies to help feel full. Get adequate fat at each meal as well. Often that can help with feeling satisfied. If you're legitimately hungry, eat. Drink plenty of water and stay hydrated. I have noticed in the past that sometimes I feel less snacky when I lay off the diet sodas it could totally be my head, though.

I'd also really recommend a strength training program. Additionally, I'd consider switching from your current cardio routine to a HIIT style cardo (just not on the same day you lift)
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    Maybe a shift away from weight loss? You are already well in the healthy range. Are there other goals you have such as fitness?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    If you want your cardio calories averaged out between all 7 days.....look into TDEE less 250 calories.....that's the same 1/2 pound a week.

Protein, fat, and fiber all help you stay full longer. Some people can feel full on low fat protein alone, not me. I find that a combination works better.
  • meridianova
    meridianova Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    i can't believe i'm saying this, but... can you open your diary so that we can see your logging? are you measuring/weighing (primarily weighing) everything you log? it also sounds to me like you shouldn't be calculating at sedentary, but using one of the more active multiplyers since you're running 3 days a week.

you could also change up what you're eating to incorporate more fat and protein. that's what's going to help you stay full longer and not be screamingly hungry 2 hours after you've eaten. but without looking at your logs that's hard to say.
  • sbarella
    sbarella Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    If you want your cardio calories averaged out between all 7 days.....look into TDEE less 250 calories.....that's the same 1/2 pound a week.

Protein, fat, and fiber all help you stay full longer. Some people can feel full on low fat protein alone, not me. I find that a combination works better.
    +1. Might worth a try. Cutting fats to get more volume for the same calories is pretty common, but fats tend to help a lot with satiety (and they're also kind of important for your body). If I get less than 50g of fats a day I tend to become a ravenous b****, some people are happier with tons of veggies and lean meats.
  • alska
    alska Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Maybe try to eat stuff that's lower in calories ... that way you can get more.

I know, I am no help.

When I first started on mfp they gave me only 1200 calories ... that was impossible. I was hungry all the time. I gave up ... then I restarted back with a new goal n they gave me more calories ... I'm at 1330 now ... but I have to exercise to get more calories so I have enough to eat :\ crazy!
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    A Quest bar and veggie omelette at 9am shouldn't leave anyone's stomach rumbling at 11am. That's a lot of protein and fiber. Maybe something else is going on.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Ditch the Quest bar and the cereal. Have oatmeal with nut butter instead of the bar, and eggs instead of the cereal. It will be more filling overall.

But you can eat more, 5-6 miles run probably burn 400 calories each time, so if you run 3x a week, you can add 150 calories every day. Not a huge difference, but it should help.

Got to add though... I'm 5'5" and this is exactly why I'll stop at 130 :laugh:
  • annadjanssen
    annadjanssen Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I agree with eating more food that is less calorie dense. Be sure to find snacks between meals. I honestly eat something every coupl hours. A few cherries, a low fat cheese stick, some Greek light and fit you girt, some fresh veggies. Being hungry all the time isn't going to help. It is easy to give up when you are uncomfortable all the time.