Am I destined to be fat or what?

Replies

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Thank you to everyone for giving me their input. I appreciate the feedback.
    Also, for the people who have been saying that I'm over-estimating burned calories and underestimating my calories, I just use MFP. I don't know exactly how to calculate burned calories, so I use MFP, I enter in my time and let it work it out for me. I also just search for what I'm eating, and add that too. Especially if it's from a restaurant that isn't listed. I'm not trying to be dishonest, I'm trying to get as close as possible using what I have and what I know.
    But thank you again. It really helps me take a good look at what I am or may be doing wrong.

This is a really good post describing how to be more accurate with your counting.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide?hl=accurately&page=1
  • FRUITS AND VEGGIES! Try clean eating! Your diary is so fully of processed convenience foods. And your biggest mistake is logging "homemade" and "generic" foods - stick to the foods with the most number of confirmations, even if it's from Panda Express. Also, if you're not weighing or measuring your portions, how do you know exactly what you're eating when you eat fast food? You can definitely get into shape, but you can't treat every day as a cheat day; you need to learn the valuable art of clean eating. I guarantee the pounds will come off.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    FRUITS AND VEGGIES! Try clean eating! Your diary is so fully of processed convenience foods. And your biggest mistake is logging "homemade" and "generic" foods - stick to the foods with the most number of confirmations, even if it's from Panda Express. Also, if you're not weighing or measuring your portions, how do you know exactly what you're eating when you eat fast food? You can definitely get into shape, but you can't treat every day as a cheat day; you need to learn the valuable art of clean eating. I guarantee the pounds will come off.

Seriously, stop it. This is not helpful. It's not what the food is, it's overall calories and macros. As long as a person eats in a calorie deficit, the pounds will come off, it doesn't matter what the food being consumed is.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Take a look at her diary. It's far to high in carbs for her daily caloric intake she's trying to hit.

Many days you're not even hitting 50g of protein, while over 200g of carbs. I'd bet you'd start to see significant weight loss within weeks if daily caloric intake is what you're claiming to log and you were closer to <150g carbs and 100g+ protein.

There are tons and tons of articles and peer reviewed essays that talk about high protein diets being a contributing factor to fat burn. http://www.bing.com/search?q=diet+high+in+protein+weight+loss&src=ie9tr

Again, calories in/calories out. As long as person eats at a deficit, barring any significant medical issue, weight will be lost. You'll lose your bet, as long, as she's eating at a calorie deficit.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Eat less. Either weigh and measure everything or set a lower calorie goal. Try to eat more fruits and veggies, as they will generally have a lot fewer calories and you can fill up for fewer calories, lean, white meat. Water, not juice or tea or pop.

Move more. Find something you enjoy. Keep trying new things until you do. Then stick with it until you're sick of it and switch to something else.

Absolutely see your doctor. That's the smartest and best first step. Follow the advice.

When you really want to lose weight, you will.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Take a look at her diary. It's far to high in carbs for her daily caloric intake she's trying to hit.

Many days you're not even hitting 50g of protein, while over 200g of carbs. I'd bet you'd start to see significant weight loss within weeks if daily caloric intake is what you're claiming to log and you were closer to <150g carbs and 100g+ protein.

There are tons and tons of articles and peer reviewed essays that talk about high protein diets being a contributing factor to fat burn. http://www.bing.com/search?q=diet+high+in+protein+weight+loss&src=ie9tr

Again, calories in/calories out. As long as person eats at a deficit, barring any significant medical issue, weight will be lost. You'll lose your bet, as long, as she's eating at a calorie deficit.
    +1
    Op keep it simple until you get into the swing of things, then you can make changes where you see fit
    I lost weight by cutting down not cutting out also i started to exercise.
    use food scales, and the scanner feature on the mfp app
    good luck you can do it.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    It's not always a question of whether or not the person "wants" it enough. Sometimes it's just a case of not having the right information in order to use the tools effectively.

All you have to do in order to lose weight is create a deficit. There are a zillion ways to do that, so the method is up to you, but the deficit is the key. You don't necessarily have to eat low-carb, "clean," whatever...you can absolutely lose weight eating the foods you like and eat now, you just have to eat less of them.

Because the MFP database lets users input entries, you need to be careful to choose the most accurate entries. Typically, items labeled "generic" or "homemade" aren't going to be accurate for anyone other than the person who created the item. It's always better to log the individual components of your meal (logging the burger, the bun and the cheese instead of choosing an item labeled "cheeseburger," for example).

MFP is notorious for over-estimating exercise burns. Try eating back 50-75% of what you've earned from exercise for a few weeks and see if that helps.

So far, you haven't done anything wrong. You're getting into the habit of logging every day, which is the most important hurdle. From here, it's just learning the ins and outs of the MFP tools and making sure you're using them in the most effective way possible. Keep working on logging as accurately as possible, and you'll start to see progress.
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Also, for the people who have been saying that I'm over-estimating burned calories and underestimating my calories, I just use MFP. I don't know exactly how to calculate burned calories, so I use MFP, I enter in my time and let it work it out for me. I also just search for what I'm eating, and add that too. Especially if it's from a restaurant that isn't listed. I'm not trying to be dishonest, I'm trying to get as close as possible using what I have and what I know.
    But thank you again. It really helps me take a good look at what I am or may be doing wrong.

I don't think any one is saying you're being dishonest. We're just trying to point out what could be causing you to stall. As for the burned calories, you could either not eat them all back (try half instead) or you can actually change what MFP puts in for you (if is says 500, change it to 250).

Same with the food log, no one is saying you're dishonest but you could have a better guess than what you currently are doing. When I eat at a restuarnt that doesn't list calories, I try to find something from a chain resturaunt that is similar (I even google pictures of it to compare). That will get you so much closer than using the generic or homemade entries in the database.

Keep pushing forward. You can do this!

ETA: When in doubt, estimate higher intake and lower output. If you're not sure which food entry you should use, go with a higher calorie one.

Just want to reinforce GothyFaery's point. Not saying you are being dishonest or "cheating." Accurate logging is a skill, and like any skill it takes some experience, some tips from others more experienced, and practice to get better at it. You're halfway there with logging stuff; now get a little closer to goal by developing the skills to log more accurately. I haven't looked at your diary, but just based on the comments from other posters, I'd be willing to bet you are underestimating the calories you are consuming - again, not deliberately, just because it's a challenge to do well without scales and skill and knowledge.

As for exercise calories, I share the view that MFP tends to overestimate calorie burns for many common exercises. A shortcut in the interim would be to manually adjust the calories MFP wants to give you downward. Longer term, get a real handle on being an excellent food logger, and then compare your actual weight lost to the weight you'd expect to lose based on your food logging and your exercise burns - it will likely help you get a better grip on exactly how many excess calories you're actually burning on a treadmill / elliptical session, regardless of what MFP and/or the machine wants to tell you you have burned.

Everything - absolutely everything - we're doing here on MFP is an estimate (some better than others) and trial and error and analysis will help you get to a spot where your estimates are better, allowing you a lot more control around weight loss / gain goals.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    FRUITS AND VEGGIES! Try clean eating!

"Clean" eating means nothing.
    And your biggest mistake is logging "homemade" and "generic" foods - stick to the foods with the most number of confirmations, even if it's from Panda Express.

Agreed that "homemade" and "generic" entries are wrong, but using the one with the most confirmations no matter what is also wrong. Under that advise, if I make a stirfry I should use Panda Express due to the confirmations rather than log my ingredients, which is obviously a better way to do it.
    Also, if you're not weighing or measuring your portions, how do you know exactly what you're eating when you eat fast food?

Two separate things. She should weigh her homemade food, but that really has nothing to do with measuring fast food. I mean, be a little skeptical about calorie counts from restaurants, but much as I personally dislike most fast food their calorie counts are probably not bad--they have a reason to be standardized.

Anyway, the issue is calories. I personally find that cooking for myself makes it much easier to eat fewer calories than going out all the time, but the issue is still, basically, calories.
  • lemurcat12

I don't think you are being dishonest or that anyone was suggesting that. There are tricks to using MFP, that's all.

One is that some people find that certain calorie counts are inaccurate when it comes to estimating exercise. IME, the elliptical counts can be a major offender. It's good to be skeptical of anything that seems too high. Basically, if you are going full out then 10 calories per minute is a decent cap, and if not than you'd want to assume less. I commonly reduce my calorie counts by a third (some do by more), although I usually don't reduce running counts, as they seem accurate enough based on results.

Sometimes it's easier to just estimate your overall activity with exercise (if you exercise a good amount say active, if not that much but some say lightly active) and set your loss to maybe 1.5 lb to start and see how it works. Then you don't have to worry about trying to adjust for exercise.

For logging, read the link on logging that someone gave. It helped me a lot. One thing to think about is that meals are going to vary a ton in calories depending on the size, the specific ingredients used, etc. So if you have a burger or lasagna or some such, you can't assume the calories will be anything like some generic entry in the database and you'll find those vary enormously from entry to entry.

What you need to do is either find the precise item (if packaged food or a chain restaurant) or calculate based on ingredients and size (if homemade or no applicable entry). One reason cooking for yourself can lead to better results is that you will know what you are eating, whereas you really don't from a restaurant (although chains have okay information). I still go out to non chain restaurants once or twice a week and estimate, but I always estimate high and add in extra butter and other stuff you can't see because I know they have tons more hidden calories and bigger serving sizes and all that vs. something I'd make at home.

It's just a matter of figuring all this out and getting used to it.

I'd say try tightening up the logging for a few of weeks and see how you do. Then if it's not successful (although I hope it is and think it's likely to be), you can go to the doctor and have a really good list of what and how much you've been eating as a starting point.
  • xtineds
    xtineds Posts: 4 Member
    I just went through your diary and you consume a lot of high calorie, high sodium, high sugar, overly processed food. As long as you are in a calorie deficit you can have these things but are probably underestimating them. Get a scale, have smaller portions of favorite items and pair with a salad or veggie. Its all about balance. Try cooking at home more and preparing meals. You will eliminate a lot of hidden fats and oils that food is cook in and thus overall eliminating calories. You should make convenience meals more of a treat instead of the norm. Fill your day with fresh veggies, fruits and lean meats to fill up on and you will find you can eat a lot more during the day. Also, you seem to always eat back all of your exercise calories and not in the form of healthy protein and carbs. Try eating back only half of your workout calories as these may also be grossly overestimated. But all in all, I'd say your "diet" and nutrition need some major overhaul.

Great tips! I agree with all of them. AND DRINK THAT WATER!!!
  • caminoslo
    caminoslo Posts: 239 Member

AGREED too many carbs
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    You are eating more than you think! First entry: Quaker Oats - Old Fashion Oatmeal, 1 cup dry 300 . One CUP of dried oatmeal is 600 calories. There is 300 calories right there. I stopped after that.
  • Actually "clean" eating means cutting out processed, fast-food, and convenience foods. Clean eating means not choosing hamburgers, and ramen, candy bars, and soda. I'm all for cheat days because if I didn't allow for cravings sometimes, I'd go overboard all the time. I don't know how you feel about chemicals and additives, but I don't consider that clean eating.
  • FRUITS AND VEGGIES! Try clean eating! Your diary is so fully of processed convenience foods. And your biggest mistake is logging "homemade" and "generic" foods - stick to the foods with the most number of confirmations, even if it's from Panda Express. Also, if you're not weighing or measuring your portions, how do you know exactly what you're eating when you eat fast food? You can definitely get into shape, but you can't treat every day as a cheat day; you need to learn the valuable art of clean eating. I guarantee the pounds will come off.

Seriously, stop it. This is not helpful. It's not what the food is, it's overall calories and macros. As long as a person eats in a calorie deficit, the pounds will come off, it doesn't matter what the food being consumed is.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?! I understand that a lot of you out there are here to lose weight, but IT IS ALL ABOUT THE FOOD YOU EAT! Period. This, along with exercise, IS the only thing that is going to get your body healthy. Are you seriously telling me that someone who eats a McMuffin for breakfast (because it's ONLY 400 calories) and Panda Express for lunch, and pizza for dinner, and soda through out the day, and is still within their calorie deficit is as healthy as someone who is drinking water and eating fresh, unprocessed fruits, veggies, and grains? All of you who think this way can be happy with your thin bodies, but your body isn't going to be functioning at it's best, highest level if you continue to think about nutrition like this. You, my dear, are completely wrong in giving this advice.
  • lemurcat12
    Actually "clean" eating means cutting out processed, fast-food, and convenience foods.

Depends who you ask. A shocking number of people claim to be "clean eaters" and eat lots of processed foods, and plenty of others claim that "clean" means no white foods or grains or sugar or any number of other self-defined rules.

Given this, I think we should all just acknowledge that "clean" means nothing in particular and is mostly just a way of claiming that the way you eat is superior to the way someone else eats.

Personally, I think about what I eat, but some of it--like yogurt, cottage cheese, smoked salmon, probably frozen veggies and canned tomatoes in the winter, steel cut oats, whole wheat pasta, quinoa, protein powder, etc.--is processed. Rather than thinking of these things as "cheats" or "unclean" (weird), I consider them to be foods I have chosen to eat because they meet some nutritional or taste consideration that I find important. Along with that, I'd include ice cream (homemade or otherwise), the pie I will make on Thanksgiving from fabulous ingredients, and the meals I get from restaurants, whether lunch places that meet my nutritional requirements and quality concerns or the various local restaurants I like for the occasional dinner.
    Clean eating means not choosing hamburgers, and ramen, candy bars, and soda.

What the heck is wrong with burgers inherently? I get ground beef (along with other meat) from a local farm. It's even from cows that are grass fed and raised humanely, etc. I sometimes use it for pasta sauce or eat it on its own or, yes, make a burger. Don't see why that's "unclean." Similarly, if I go to a local restaurant with good ingredients, why is the burger more unclean than, say, the chicken? Or is restaurant food inherently "unclean"? See the confusion? Why not just aim for an overall nutritious, balanced diet and forget about the clean/unclean dichotomy? It really seems to serve no good purpose, and just asks to have someone go through your diet to see how "clean" it really is.
    I'm all for cheat days because if I didn't allow for cravings sometimes, I'd go overboard all the time. I don't know how you feel about chemicals and additives, but I don't consider that clean eating.

I don't cheat. I am concerned about overall balance and nutrition. I don't see why my diet is less healthy if I eat a 45 calorie Café Tasse Noir (my current favorite bit of chocolate to have after lunch on occasion) or even 200 calories of ice cream if I have lots of calories and have had my protein, fiber, and veggies. Re chemicals and additives, there are various things I choose not to eat (I don't personally choose to have HFCS or added transfats, and I simply don't like most packaged foods when compared to what I can cook myself), but I think a blanket prohibition on "processed" foods is too broad. There are many processed foods (the ones listed above, legumes, which I should eat more of) that are nutritionally positive. A focus on simply excluding allegedly bad foods and not creating a sensible balanced diet that meets nutritional needs and tastes good seems to me the wrong focus.

IME, if you focus on the sensible balanced diet, you aren't even going to want to or have room to be immoderate wrt high calorie sweets or chips or whatever it is that you are concerned about, other than rarely. I have a weakness for French fries, personally, and yet I did not need to cut them out or some foolish thing that would cause me to think about them more, and certainly not to declare them "unclean" (which makes no sense, especially since I can make them myself out of nice, clean potatoes). But because I'm focusing on other things I don't eat them often at all. And when I do I enjoy them and do not feel guilty or beat myself up or think I've polluted my body or fallen off the wagon or whatever. Ugh.
  • lemurcat12
    Are you seriously telling me that someone who eats a McMuffin for breakfast (because it's ONLY 400 calories) and Panda Express for lunch, and pizza for dinner, and soda through out the day, and is still within their calorie deficit is as healthy as someone who is drinking water and eating fresh, unprocessed fruits, veggies, and grains?

Well, from your example that person might be doing better in the protein department.

But, no, I suspect the first person wouldn't be satisfied or feel as good as possible and thus would change his or her diet naturally, based on what works. I just don't think it's sensible (or morally right) to lie and tell that person he or she cannot lose weight unless fast food is excluded.

Now, if that person says he or she is hungry and asks for advice, I'd point to food choice (and have seen that happen here). If the person asks about nutrition or the like, same. But I've also known someone who lost a bunch of weight and ended up changing her diet to be much healthier by first starting by reducing fast food portions and paying attention to calories. Sometimes it's a process, and sometimes a really long one. That wouldn't have worked for me--it's easier for me to focus on eating healthy plus cutting calories, and anyway I didn't really eat fast food even when I was fat, but if I'd been a different person it might have (just like for me it's important to focus on exercise goals, but it isn't for everyone). Just as the fact I ate good quality food didn't make it any less unhealthy to be as fat as I used to be, losing the weight would have been good for my health even if I'd lost a bunch of it by eating fast food (although for me that sounds terribly unsatisfying).
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    I struggle. 3 months ago I was down 80lbs now you see I'm back up. Every friggin day is a literal battle with food and myself. It's exhausting there are times when I'm like F" it I'm going to be fat, eat what I want, when I want, and not worry because it's easier. Then I look down at my son. He is the result of that struggle that battle. If I had not kept pushing I'd never have lost enough weight to balance my hormones. I thought I was destined to never have a child, but luckily there is that little glimmer of hope in all of us that keeps making us push despite how many times we fall and trip ourselves up.

No, you are not destined to be fat. There is no preordained fate looking down on you saying that women will always be fat. You know that it's possible, but it's a g-d damn f'en hard struggle every day. Some days we get tired, and we feel hopeless. You can do it though, you can make it happen. Never stop fighting it's all we have.
  • There is some really great advice on here.

I am starting to use my food scale. Also, I use measuring cups and spoons. My husband bought a bunch of tupperware that has "ounces" measured on them. I cannot believe how much I was over eating.

One thing I am noticing though, using MFP, they show a "mixed green salad with no dressing" at 170 calories! LOL! Some of the calculations on here are incorrect, if I have to keep going to other resources for calorie counts I may bail on this tracker. I think SparkPeople has one that is a little more reliable.

Anyhow, thanks to all of you who posted suggestions on here! I am going to use them!
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    One thing I am noticing though, using MFP, they show a "mixed green salad with no dressing" at 170 calories! LOL! Some of the calculations on here are incorrect, if I have to keep going to other resources for calorie counts I may bail on this tracker. I think SparkPeople has one that is a little more reliable.
    That's because you have no idea what the person who originally created that entry for "mixed green salad with no dressing" put into their salad. Entries with asterisks are user-created. It's always better and more accurate for you to create your own recipes or enter each individual component of a dish as a separate item.