feeling guilty

Options
I ate some ice cream the other night, figuring I'd just work harder during exercise the next day to make up for it. But it turned out that I didn't feel like working out for my usual time the following day, I was achey & more tired than usual...so I slacked off. The story of my typical downfall; late-night snacking, quickly proceeded by entire loss of motivation, & quitting. I'm honestly trying to not let this be another one of those unfortunate incidences. Anyone have some motivational tips ?

Replies

• uoyevoli2013
    Options
    try making plans to work out with a friend. that way you will be motivated to go and feel bad if you flake. works for me((:
  • ayanajo
    ayanajo Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Keep journaling. Don't stop. Write it all down - even the bad stuff.

I even started sharing my journal with myfitnesspal friends. That way - subconsciously I remember that there is some accountability - that someone may be reading my journal.

I know that vicious cycle of not working out and then not having the energy to get back to working out. I think (not an expert on this) but I think the most important part is not beating yourself up too much- but bouncing back from one day of inconsistency, and not turning it into a week. Good luck!
  • TexasTKD9
    Options
    try making plans to work out with a friend. that way you will be motivated to go and feel bad if you flake. works for me((:

Definitely try to get a work out buddy! If not set a specific time each day to workout and set an alarm for it! That way when the alarm goes off no matter what your doing you know it's time to get moving!
    Hope that helps oh friend request on the way :) hope you don't mind!
  • imperfectlyhere
    Options
    Tell yourself everyday is a new day...don't think of it as a failure but learn from it.
  • Hourglass25
    Hourglass25 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Next time you go food shopping don't buy unhealthy snacks. Get fruits, granola bars, ooohh since you like ice cream get some of the light options. Think about it like this, if you work out you have extra calories that you can use up.
  • DoralisM
    Options
    Who says you cant eat ice cream? Don't deprive yourself from the things you love...that way you won't catch yourself cheating again. Instead of eating two scoops of ice cream eat just one...or instead of eating one scoop eat 1/2. And don't use any chocolate syrup or whip cream. Another tip: Log in your exercise goal for the day and make sure to do all the minutes planned. I plan to do cardio/jump rope/weights for at least 30 mins (Work out: Mondays/Tuesdays/Wednesdays OFF/Thursday/Friday/Saturdays &Sundays OFF) and always end up doing more, so then I adjust the time when I'm done. Works 4 me! Good luck! :wink:
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Here's the thing about guilt: the more you feel it, the more you will subconsciously feel like you need to atone for it, therefore putting more stress on yourself by blaming whatever action you did to put yourself there in the first place, which leads to a slight depression that takes a toll on your self-confidence, which leads to a necessity for instant gratification, which leads to whatever indulgences you may use to make yourself feel better (if only temporarily), which leads to guilt....and the cycle continues that way.

In the end, that's what lowers your metabolism and saps any energy you feel that you may have had to function. If you had some ice cream, since you already know it's just one of those small little indulgences that shouldn't be done in excess, you shouldn't have to feel like you're punishing yourself for having some. You had some ice cream because you wanted some and because it was there to enjoy. If it was late at night, then the next day should be a fresh clean slate for you to fill up with a normal healthy diet.

Take it from a recovering addict where ice cream was the least worst indulgence I could partake in. I learned to accept that if I relapsed [going back to using after attempting to be clean], it was okay. Relapse is a part of rehab. Just because you went back to an old habit, doesn't necessarily mean you're not still trying to help yourself. It's a part of you that you're slowly changing.

I'm not comparing your ice cream to crystal meth or food to drugs, I'm just showing the parallel mindset that I think would benefit anyone in any situation. Accepting that it happened, and be happy with that decision at that specific point in time. Once it's done, start fresh again and put that memory away [after you've tracked it]. Don't think about it after that because the more it's on your mind, then, well... the more it's on your mind.

Be confident in yourself. Hell, be OVERCONFIDENT in yourself. Be bragadocious and conceited, if you need to, as long as you can back it up, of course. Be completely honest with yourself and evaluate whether you're dead serious on changing or if you're just doing it half-assedly. If it's the latter, then don't attempt it. It will end in failure.

Bare with me, but I'm just being realistic. One night of ice cream isn't going to ruin a healthy lifestyle. If your body needed a day or two to recover, then let it recover and get back to your routine once it feels better. Just keep going one day at a time. Once you click on ending your tracking for the day, you're done tracking for that day.