PCOS and Metformin??

Options
So 7/31 I had my IUD removed because of complications with it migrating. SInce then I have been to the hospital and diagnosed with ovarian cysts and the possibility of PCOS and PID. I am going to an obgyn to confirm this. I am hoping to get on Metformin and possible a balanced estrogen/progesterone birth control. I have not had a steady period since removal, so I want to get back to being regular again. I have been tested for pregnancy and am not. I would like to be but my husband and I are not in a place to support a baby, and my weight could cause the baby health issues.

Last time I tried to lose weight, I lost 20 lbs in 5 months and then could not lose any more weight after than, no matter what I did.

Has anyone else had success with PCOS and Metformin?

Replies

• kirianna55
    kirianna55 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I have been hypoglycemic since I was in middle school. I am very sensitive if I go to long without food. I have to eat every 2-4 hours or I have a sugar crash and get sick.

I have not been on metformin before. I have always been told "you are fat, lose weight" by doctors but they do not give solutions or advice other than "don't eat carbs". I have tried everything from high calorie/ low exercise, low calorie/ high exercise, high exercise/high calories, atkins, paleo, and primal. I cant seem to get more than 5-10 lbs off before I struggle to lose weight. I need to lose 100-140 lbs. I am currently 294.8 lbs and would like to be 180-160 lbs.

Before my iud, I had regular periods but I was on pills or nuvaring. I have been on hormones since I ws 16. Now I am 23. We thought I was pregnant since I had not had a period in 50 days. We were so excited to have a baby since we just got marries last month. But the hospital said that I am not pregnant and that the baseball sized cyst on my left ovary is causing my pregnancy symptoms. Heck, today I drank my morning coffee and proceeded to throw up while on the phone with a nurse. I see my obgyn friday.

Also my paternal aunt has PCOS and so does my mother.
  • eventinely
    Options
    Hello, I have pcos and hypothyroidism and am trying to lose weight as well. When I was first diagnosed with pcos my Dr. tried giving me metformin but it just made me sick to my stomach all the time. He lowered my dose over time but even at it's lowest it still made me sick so he decided to just abandon that course of action. Although I haven't had a lot of weight loss taking the synthroid for my hypothyroidism has at least stopped the excessive weight gain. I know how frustrated you must have been when in the past you just kept being told you were fat and to lose weight, Dr's. told me that all time and it was so frustrating. One thing my Dr had recommended to me was following the GI diet which you could try it isn't really so much a diet as a way of eating, a lot of diabetics eat that way and my Dr said it has helped women with pcos. I was already doing most of it anyways so wasn't helpful for me but it's a suggestion. Feel free to add me for support .
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    im not sure about success but metformin has helped bring down my insulin level
  • kirianna55
    Options
    Thanks. Do you take birth control with the metformin
  • Miss_1999
    Miss_1999 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I'm going to work on a post, soon and see if I can get the mods to possibly pin it, or find *somewhere* to put it, as I've seen a lot of women posting recently about PCOS, and with Metformin, or other PCOS related questions. It's after 1am, so I don't have time to do a through post tonight, but I will be glad to answer what I can. :happy:

First, the Metformin in and of itself isn't going to help you lose weight. It's not like Phentermine, or any of the other weight loss drugs designed to help speed up your metabolism or curb your appetite. HOWEVER, if you struggling with IR (Insulin Resistance) along with PCOS, which MANY women do, Metformin/Metformin ER can be a lifesaver for us! You didn't mention any other symptoms other than the lack of a period for 50 days, and then throwing up after having your coffee- but that mirrors what I was struggling with right after I was diagnosed. My hair was beginning to thin, and I got to the point where I ended up losing so much that I relied on clip on hair, had skin tags, was sleeping roughly 16 hours a day, and was STILL exhausted. It didn't matter how much or little I ate, I gained on average 5lbs a month. My insulin levels were through the roof, estrogen levels were almost non-existent, and my testosterone levels were sky high.

It was a trial and error process, but the treatment that worked for me, and that to this day, I am still on, is Byetta (5mcg injection twice a day), and 1500mgs of Metformin ER. The Byetta helps my body to only produce the insulin that my body needs, and stops it when I don't need any more. Then, the Metformin ER, makes my body absorb the insulin that was produced, and continues to work for 24 hours, allowing my body to properly metabolize food. By following a lower carbohydrate diet (no, I didn't cut anything out, I still eat whatever I want, just correct/smaller portions), and getting moderate exercise, I've lost 177lbs over an 8/9 year period.

These medications are NOT without side effects as others have mentioned. There are times I have been violently ill with both Byetta and Metformin ER. I have thrown up, dealt with severe bloating, nausea, gas, upset stomach, and frequent diarrhea. Once your body adjusts to these medications, things aren't so bad. Does it still happen from time to time? Absolutely. If I eat something my body doesn't "like" so to speak, I'll know about it. If I eat "too much' so to speak, I'm going to pay for it, and I know it. I will be sick. It takes discipline, there are no two ways about it. I know when I'm sick, I did it to myself.

I don't take any type of hormonal birth control, or any hormones. I attempted to take birth control twice, but my body can't tolerate it. It messes with the chemicals in my brain, and made me severely depressed. I stopped both times when the feelings reached hopelessness and despair.

Know, there definitely is hope for getting pregnant with PCOS. I got pregnant at 29, and gave birth to my daughter at age 30. She was full term and healthy. Many cysters have had success with conceiving even though they struggle with PCOS, be it naturally, with the aid of fertility drugs, or treatments. We've come a long way!

Right now, you're taking the first step, and doing the best thing possible by being the healthiest you, possible! If you have any questions, I'll be glad to help out!
  • kirianna55
    Options
    I have cysts, excess body hair on my arms, legs, toes, and stomach. I get horrible acne and carry most of my weight in my stomach. Irregular periods, thinning hair,Patches of skin on the neck, breasts, and thighs that are thick and dark brown, depression and anxiety
  • eventinely
    Options
    I didn't take birth control with the metformin as I am trying to get pregnant so that would be counter productive lol. I agree with Miss, I was and still am soo tired all the time and could never get any energy but I have found the synthroid has helped with that a bit. Did your Dr also check to make sure you had no thyroid problems or anything like that? I have the skin tags and dark skin on my neck, had no outward signs other then those till last year when I started to get a bit of hair on my lower stomach and big toes which I could so do without lol. I was just so happy and so was my Dr when my weight stopped going up and that was enough of a positive step at the time. It's really only been the last 11 months or so that I've started to lose some weight and even then it's been minimal but anything coming off is a good thing. I know how it can be frustrating as hell when you do all the things you should and you don't see any progress.
  • kirianna55
    Options
    I only recently got medical again. I don't even have a PCP yet. The hoops I have to jump through are ridiculous. I have tried several.times to go in to see a doctor and they say I am not registered with them. I call my insurance and that doctor is on the list and I just have to make an appointment.

I have not had my thyroid checked since I was 17.
  • kirianna55
    Options
    Also I would.love to be pregnant, but my husband and I are both in college and trying to get stable.
  • eventinely
    Options
    My fiancée and I aren't the most stable financial speaking but considering we were trying before the recession when we were and I still haven't gotten pg in 5yrs so we definitely aren't going to stop trying lol. I'm in Canada so I don't have to worry about insurance or anything but I can see how that would be frustrating. I was looking my Dr ran so many tests after my pcos was confirmed from diabetes to hormone lvls to vitamin lvls to well everything lol. I had no diabetes or anything like that just the hypothyroidism and insulin resistance which is why he wanted to give me the metformin but as I say made me sick as all hell. I know tests aren't any fun but at least you will be able to find out everything in time.
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    also try the http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3070-p-c-o-sis board here on mfp, great info and lots of women in the same boat as you!
  • Kate7294
    Kate7294 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS/pre-diabetic in 2009. Prior to that I was always irregular unless on birth control pills. Went 2 yrs. without a cycle. Put on Metformin in 2009 I lost 67 lbs. in 9 months and became pregnant for the 2nd time at 39. I have never had any side effects from my metformin. I turn 42 next month with a 16 yr. old and a 3 yr. old.
    Due to my being a smoker birth control is no longer an option.
  • nancytyc
    nancytyc Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I'm going to work on a post, soon and see if I can get the mods to possibly pin it, or find *somewhere* to put it, as I've seen a lot of women posting recently about PCOS, and with Metformin, or other PCOS related questions. It's after 1am, so I don't have time to do a through post tonight, but I will be glad to answer what I can. :happy:

First, the Metformin in and of itself isn't going to help you lose weight. It's not like Phentermine, or any of the other weight loss drugs designed to help speed up your metabolism or curb your appetite. HOWEVER, if you struggling with IR (Insulin Resistance) along with PCOS, which MANY women do, Metformin/Metformin ER can be a lifesaver for us! You didn't mention any other symptoms other than the lack of a period for 50 days, and then throwing up after having your coffee- but that mirrors what I was struggling with right after I was diagnosed. My hair was beginning to thin, and I got to the point where I ended up losing so much that I relied on clip on hair, had skin tags, was sleeping roughly 16 hours a day, and was STILL exhausted. It didn't matter how much or little I ate, I gained on average 5lbs a month. My insulin levels were through the roof, estrogen levels were almost non-existent, and my testosterone levels were sky high.

It was a trial and error process, but the treatment that worked for me, and that to this day, I am still on, is Byetta (5mcg injection twice a day), and 1500mgs of Metformin ER. The Byetta helps my body to only produce the insulin that my body needs, and stops it when I don't need any more. Then, the Metformin ER, makes my body absorb the insulin that was produced, and continues to work for 24 hours, allowing my body to properly metabolize food. By following a lower carbohydrate diet (no, I didn't cut anything out, I still eat whatever I want, just correct/smaller portions), and getting moderate exercise, I've lost 177lbs over an 8/9 year period.

These medications are NOT without side effects as others have mentioned. There are times I have been violently ill with both Byetta and Metformin ER. I have thrown up, dealt with severe bloating, nausea, gas, upset stomach, and frequent diarrhea. Once your body adjusts to these medications, things aren't so bad. Does it still happen from time to time? Absolutely. If I eat something my body doesn't "like" so to speak, I'll know about it. If I eat "too much' so to speak, I'm going to pay for it, and I know it. I will be sick. It takes discipline, there are no two ways about it. I know when I'm sick, I did it to myself.

I don't take any type of hormonal birth control, or any hormones. I attempted to take birth control twice, but my body can't tolerate it. It messes with the chemicals in my brain, and made me severely depressed. I stopped both times when the feelings reached hopelessness and despair.

Know, there definitely is hope for getting pregnant with PCOS. I got pregnant at 29, and gave birth to my daughter at age 30. She was full term and healthy. Many cysters have had success with conceiving even though they struggle with PCOS, be it naturally, with the aid of fertility drugs, or treatments. We've come a long way!

Right now, you're taking the first step, and doing the best thing possible by being the healthiest you, possible! If you have any questions, I'll be glad to help out!

Uh, you tried, but you got it all wrong.
    T2 Diabetic, I have just gone off my Byetta (10mcg x 2 daily) and have reduced my Metformin from 2000mg daily to 1000mg daily. That said, lets cover what Byetta REALLY does. Byetta, also known as "lizard spit" (as it comes from an enzyme from the gila monster) is designed to slow your digestion down so that consumed carbohydrates are broken down at a much slower rate and therefore, the sugar is released into your system slow enough to enable a malfunctioning pancreas to handle the load. Metformin is designed to do two things. First, it is a kidney protective medication, as diabetics usually end up with renal issues. Second, it sensitizes the bodies ability to utilize insulin, in that it helps the insulin bind with the sugars and be taken into the muscle more efficiently.

Metformin has been prescribed to patients with PCOS (yes, I have been diagnosed ) in that it made them less insulin resistant and therefore seemed to increase infertility. It is NOT a weight loss miracle, nor should it be something that you should strive to be on. I am working hard to even further reduce my dose in hopes of not needing it at all. No pill is going to do the job that you need to do...which is, I am assuming, lose weight and get healthy. This is best done through good clean eating and lots and lots of exercise.

If you are T2 diabetic, and you find yourself on these overprescribed medications, then let me help with a thought. I have gone off all these medications, have perfect labs (actually, doc says, "incredible lab reports"), great blood pressure, and have dropped 57 pounds since May 2014. I did it on a Low Carb High Fat diet. I am healthier now than I have been since I was 25 years old (now 49 yrs old). I ride my bike hard almost every day, eat low carb (get most of my carbs from mounds and mounds of green leafy veggies....and the occasional nibble of my hubbies ice cream), nuts, seeds, and my favorite (a big ole spoonful of no sugar added peanut butter).

I know you were trying to help, but you gotta know your facts a little better before confusing people on here. Many are impressionable to input and do not do their research. This young lady would be better to ensure that she is within normal weight limits, eats low carb (50g or less per day), checks her sugars with a test kit, exercises religiously, and keeps away from junk foods. That is likely to get her where she is looking to get, then to open a bottle and take a pill.
  • Miss_1999
    Options

Uh, you tried, but you got it all wrong.
    T2 Diabetic, I have just gone off my Byetta (10mcg x 2 daily) and have reduced my Metformin from 2000mg daily to 1000mg daily. That said, lets cover what Byetta REALLY does. Byetta, also known as "lizard spit" (as it comes from an enzyme from the gila monster) is designed to slow your digestion down so that consumed carbohydrates are broken down at a much slower rate and therefore, the sugar is released into your system slow enough to enable a malfunctioning pancreas to handle the load. Metformin is designed to do two things. First, it is a kidney protective medication, as diabetics usually end up with renal issues. Second, it sensitizes the bodies ability to utilize insulin, in that it helps the insulin bind with the sugars and be taken into the muscle more efficiently.

Metformin has been prescribed to patients with PCOS (yes, I have been diagnosed ) in that it made them less insulin resistant and therefore seemed to increase infertility. It is NOT a weight loss miracle, nor should it be something that you should strive to be on. I am working hard to even further reduce my dose in hopes of not needing it at all. No pill is going to do the job that you need to do...which is, I am assuming, lose weight and get healthy. This is best done through good clean eating and lots and lots of exercise.

If you are T2 diabetic, and you find yourself on these overprescribed medications, then let me help with a thought. I have gone off all these medications, have perfect labs (actually, doc says, "incredible lab reports"), great blood pressure, and have dropped 57 pounds since May 2014. I did it on a Low Carb High Fat diet. I am healthier now than I have been since I was 25 years old (now 49 yrs old). I ride my bike hard almost every day, eat low carb (get most of my carbs from mounds and mounds of green leafy veggies....and the occasional nibble of my hubbies ice cream), nuts, seeds, and my favorite (a big ole spoonful of no sugar added peanut butter).

I know you were trying to help, but you gotta know your facts a little better before confusing people on here. Many are impressionable to input and do not do their research. This young lady would be better to ensure that she is within normal weight limits, eats low carb (50g or less per day), checks her sugars with a test kit, exercises religiously, and keeps away from junk foods. That is likely to get her where she is looking to get, then to open a bottle and take a pill.

Then, if I am incorrect, can you please explain to me why I am still alive? I have the copies of my bloodwork to prove this. I had *literally* the amount of insulin in my system for FIVE adults. Yes, you heard me correctly. I was a walking medical miracle for all intents and purposes. I was dying. I was sent to an endocrinologist who didn't understand how I was alive with that much insulin in my body, and how my pancreas hadn't stopped functioning. Yes, I have that bloodwork. I thew up violently on a daily basis. They weren't sure why I wasn't in a coma. The blood tests were repeated, only to come back with the same results.

I became a guinea pig for Byetta, because I was DYING. Not because I just wanted to take some injection for the hell of it, or because I didn't like eating low carb or staying away from sugar- I was already doing so. I don't encourage ANYONE to just jump to putting a shot in their stomach or taking pills FIRST. That's NOT the first stop. When you go for 24 years without a diagnosis or treatment, you get to 400lbs, you've lost the majority of your hair, you throw up violently EVERY time you eat, and you're eating 40 carbs or less per meal, you have skin tags everywhere, dark patches around your neck and under arms, you haven't had a period in a year, and your insulin levels are at a level that can KILL you. Yeah, this IS the first option.

I'm aware that it comes from the spit of the Gila monster, and am thankful every day for it. However, I beg to differ on what Byetta does for someone who has PCOS. You are a diabetic, and Byetta IS designed FOR diabetics. It is NOT designed for women with PCOS. This is an off label use. It affects the bodies of women with PCOS differently than it does that of a diabetic, and therefore works completely different. I did a YEARS worth of research on Byetta, because I took this drug throughout my pregnancy. I found out anything and everything was there was to know about it. Am I an expert on it? Absolutely not. But I can definitely say I I understand it. My OB/GYN and endocrinologist explained how it worked in the body of woman with PCOS in tandem with a drug like Metformin/Metformin ER. THIS is the reason I am alive today. I didn't take it for some magic weight loss potion. I wanted to live.

I'm sorry if you're anti-medication. Everyone has their own journey in life. Medication is NOT the route for everyone, but for some of us, it saved our lives. Is it the first choice? No. For some, it's the best choice. Talking to your doctor, about your options, no matter what your condition, IS the best option. There are ALWAYS choices, and I'm sorry that you seem bitter that I'm trying to give women education and choices, be it natural options from diet and exercise, to the medicinal route, which saved my life.
  • kirianna55
    Options
    My hormones and everything is so out of wack that losing weight is pretty much impossible. The most I have ever lost is 20 lbs. That was doing a gluten free lowish carb diet and eating between 1200-1500 calories. I walked at least 30 minutes every day, did Jillian Michaels DVDs 5 times a week, and lifted weights 3 times a week. That took 5 months. I kept dieting and flutuaying between high exercise/ low calorie, low exercise/ low calorie, high calorie/ high exercise, I did not lost weight for 9 months. This was around the time that doctors said that I am pre diabetic and needed to get down to a healthy weight. They said to just not eat carbs and it would.come.off. it got to the point that even at reduced calories, I was gaining weight and retaining water. Doctors didn't want to do anything to help. They said I just was not doing enough. Now I have a doctor who is willing to look at things and try to figure out what is wrong.
  • Miss_1999
    Options
    I would like to have edited my above post to add in some information, but since it won't let me, I'll add it here. Here is a direct link and information from the Byetta insert that comes with EVERY Byetta injection. First, here is the link:

http://www.azpicentral.com/byetta/pi_byetta.pdf#page=1

0629517710aeb98b433f8a28d7163cdb.jpg

Now, here we have what Glucophage/Gluophage XR (also known in the generic form as Metformin/Metformin XR/ER) do:

CLINICAL PHARMACOLOGY
    Mechanism of Action
    Metformin is an antihyperglycemic agent which improves glucose tolerance in patients with type 2
    diabetes, lowering both basal and postprandial plasma glucose. Its pharmacologic mechanisms of
    action are different from other classes of oral antihyperglycemic agents. Metformin decreases
    hepatic glucose production, decreases intestinal absorption of glucose, and improves insulin
    sensitivity by increasing peripheral glucose uptake and utilization.
    Unlike sulfonylureas, metformin
    does not produce hypoglycemia in either patients with type 2 diabetes or normal subjects (except
    in special circumstances, see PRECAUTIONS) and does not cause hyperinsulinemia. With
    metformin therapy, insulin secretion remains unchanged while fasting insulin levels and day-long
    plasma insulin response may actually decrease.

Taken directly from the package insert, found here: http://packageinserts.bms.com/pi/pi_glucophage_xr.pdf

Now, Nancytyc, I truly do applaud you for your weight loss on changing your diet and exercise plan alone, and your life and health improving! That truly is great news! However, what works for one person is NOT going to work for every woman. Byetta and Metformin is NOT the answer for EVERY woman with PCOS. There are MANY different options for us, ranging from diet and exercise alone, to the medicinal route. There is nothing wrong with doing research, and finding out what's right for each person, but to say that it's incorrect, and that these are "overpriced, and over prescribed" medications, when indeed, these do save lives, is absolutely absurd. By no means am I going to push these on anyone, or say this is the way, because it's what worked for me! No way!

I wouldn't wish for anyone to put these injections in their stomach, and take these pills. BUT, if it will save their lives, and give them the quality of life I have, absolutely, it's worth it. If it can be done by making changes in diet and exercise, or taking vitamins and herbal supplements, that's definitely the way! Don't think for a second that's what I'd rather be doing. Or haven't tried. When I write out my life/success story, you'll be surprised at what I've done my entire life in the quest to not only be thin in my younger years, but in the attempt to simply live in my early 20's.

If you don't like medication, that's cool. Not everyone does. If you don't want to take it, that's great too. I'm not advocating we all do, but there are some of us, that we're going to most likely be on it the rest of our lives, and we're thankful to those Gila Monsters that they're allowing us to have a quality of life.

**Edit-- I don't mean to be snarky-- if you or anyone else doesn't understand what is written in the package inserts/technical language, I will be glad to help and explain. Like I had mentioned in the earlier post, and I know it was snarky, as I was quite irritated in it, I did a year's worth of research when I was contemplating pregnancy, and weighing whether or not continuing taking my Byetta and Metformin was the right decision. It absolutely was. I took both from day one of a positive pregnancy test until the day I gave birth. I am not a doctor. I am not a pharmacist. I do not claim to be either. I can help you get resources on where to get information on for both medications if you have questions.**
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    metformin was horrible for me. we were trying to get pg and I was on it for PCOS but the side-effects were terrible. (diarrhea, migraines, lethargy) a very low carb diet has helped with my PCOS symptoms.
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I have cysts, excess body hair on my arms, legs, toes, and stomach. I get horrible acne and carry most of my weight in my stomach. Irregular periods, thinning hair,Patches of skin on the neck, breasts, and thighs that are thick and dark brown, depression and anxiety

this sounds most definitely like hashimotos - thyroid disfunction
  • Miss_1999
    Options

this sounds most definitely like hashimotos - thyroid disfunction

They have VERY similar symptoms. The only way to know for certain is a blood test, to have thyroid levels checked along with other hormonal levels to rule out any problems with thyroid function. In my case, and to this day, my thyroid is perfect. But that is a good point that you brought up! It is definitely something that should be checked and ruled out.
  • kirianna55
    Options
    I see my new PCP Monday and I am hoping to get her to order a full blood panel and a glucose test.