PCOS and Metformin?

Options
So 7/31 I had my IUD removed because of complications with it migrating. SInce then I have been to the hospital and diagnosed with ovarian cysts and the possibility of PCOS and PID. I am going to an obgyn to confirm this. I am hoping to get on Metformin and possible a balanced estrogen/progesterone birth control. I have not had a steady period since removal, so I want to get back to being regular again. I have been tested for pregnancy and am not. I would like to be but my husband and I are not in a place to support a baby, and my weight could cause the baby health issues.

Last time I tried to lose weight, I lost 20 lbs in 5 months and then could not lose any more weight after than, no matter what I did.

Has anyone else had success with PCOS and Metformin?

Replies

• randomgyrl
    randomgyrl Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Metformin should help regulate your hormones if you have pcos, and help control insulin resistance if that is an issue for you. Taking care of these two things should help aid in weight loss. There are mixed feelings on taking birth control pills with pcos, but that is for you and your doctor to decide. Have you been on Metformin before? Make sure you slowly work up to whatever dose you will ultimately be on and insist on the extended release if your doctor does not give it to you at first, this should help with the nasty tummy side effects. A lower carb diet is very beneficial for women with pcos and insulin resistance and again, lower carbs will help with the tummy trouble from the metformin as well.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and I lost weight both on and off Metformin.

One suggestion I will make, as you lose weight, make sure they adjust your level of Metformin. My doctor didn't, and left me on the original 1500mg. After I lost 150 lbs, it started really messing up my blood sugars since I'm not diabetic.
  • kirianna55
    kirianna55 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I have been hypoglycemic since I was in middle school. I am very sensitive if I go to long without food. I have to eat every 2-4 hours or I have a sugar crash and get sick.

I have not been on metformin before. I have always been told "you are fat, lose weight" by doctors but they do not give solutions or advice other than "don't eat carbs". I have tried everything from high calorie/ low exercise, low calorie/ high exercise, high exercise/high calories, atkins, paleo, and primal. I cant seem to get more than 5-10 lbs off before I struggle to lose weight. I need to lose 100-140 lbs. I am currently 294.8 lbs and would like to be 180-160 lbs.

Before my iud, I had regular periods but I was on pills or nuvaring. I have been on hormones since I ws 16. Now I am 23. We thought I was pregnant since I had not had a period in 50 days. We were so excited to have a baby since we just got marries last month. But the hospital said that I am not pregnant and that the baseball sized cyst on my left ovary is causing my pregnancy symptoms. Heck, today I drank my morning coffee and proceeded to throw up while on the phone with a nurse. I see my obgyn friday.

Also my paternal aunt has PCOS and so does my mother.
  • randomgyrl
    randomgyrl Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Research has shown that pcos can be hereditary. I really would recommend a lower carb diet, although I don't think the "don't eat carbs" advice is very sound. I would definitely cut out all white breads, pastas, crackers, potatoes, bananas, pineapple, refined sugars, choose whole grains if you are going to have grains lots of vegetables, fruits, especially berries. Stick to 50-75g of carbs a day and eat whole foods, avoid processed things and listen to your body with the metformin. I know that there are some foods I just can't eat since I take it. In a way it helps keep me honest. haha
  • kirianna55
    Options
    My plan is to switch to low glycemic pasta and quinoa when my husband and I eat carbs. We plan on cutting out all white bread, pasta, potatoes, and refined sugar. We plan on switching to 80-90% meat and veggies for meals with 1 -2 meals with carbs a day. I drink coffee every day and until yesterday I was drinking with with 3 spoons of sugar. Today I am down to 1 spoon and want to work down until I don't need anything but cream. I am also gluten and egg intolerance. We already have cut out anything with soy and high fructose corn syrup.

We don't drink soda, sugary drinks, and most of the time we eat healthy and my husband does not believe in processed food because of all the chemicals and extra stuff they put in it.
  • kender54
    kender54 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I've lost 50+ lbs, most of that while on metformin. Currently I've been stuck for quite some time, but that's more do to poor food choices and failure to exercise than anything having to do with PCOS. I lost all of my weight without going on a low carb diet and just using the metformin and making healthier overall choices. But then, I never had any of the dreaded tummy side effects. However, my physician recently suggested cutting my carbs to 30-40% in order to help get my weight loss restarted. I wish you luck! (:
  • kirianna55
    Options
    Thank you!
  • jebsicka
    Options
    I have lost while on and off Metformin as well. As a recently diagnosed diabetic I am doing everything in my power to lose this weight. One thing I learned shortly after I was diagnosed with PCOS (10 years ago) is that caffeine is very bad for people with cysts. It basically fuels them. There was a year or so that anytime I had ANY type of caffeine I would be put in severe pain. I've been lucky enough to only have one cyst that had to be monitored and luckily it ruptured safely on its own.

I have had a lot of success with low carb (about 100g a day) and it's not as hard as I thought it would be. Good luck to you!!
  • kirianna55
    Options
    Thank you. I plan on doing low carb and at least starting at 100 and working down if I don't lose enough. The thought of no caffeine sucks.