pakistani/ indian food

Options
So i have been off and on for years with the weightloss, but now my health does not afford the luxury of fat filled currys. British born but of pakistani descent, i am having problems eating "bland" food, meaning that i have killed my tastebuds over the years and have to have chilli in everything!!
Basically looking for ideas and options which i can actually eat that tastes "authentic" homemade and not like something from an asda packet!

Today i made channa daal (lentil soup) and kofta curry (meatballs) with NO oil...... sure it didnt look quite right, and you dont get that gorgeous smell, but once i covered in fresh green chilli and coriander it was fine. Hubby didnt complain, just thought i was having an off day in the kitchen!!.... my whole family needs to change, so hoping to make it an easy transition to healthy street!!!
Thanks in advance x

Took photos of todays food, will have to figure that out some other day. Took me 3 years to post this message!!

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    The other thing to be aware of...........................coconut milk. High calories for such a small amount.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Az1979
    Az1979 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Isn't cocunut milk supposed to be healthy?? I have never used it, my curries are tomato and yoghurt based, but had always wondered!?
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    You don't need to eliminate ghee or oil entirely, just use less of them and account for it. Some fat is necessary for a healthy diet.

And you can sneakily reduce calories in things without even really noticing. Take paneer, for example. Some recipes call for whole milk, some even add a bit of cream, but there's no reason you can't make paneer out of skim milk if you want. You'll have a bit less yield from a gallon of milk so it may not be worth it but you can give it a try. There are lots of skim milk paneer recipes on the web.

Google "low calorie pakistani recipes" or "low calorie indian recipes" and you'll find lots of ideas.

(Oo - I just looked at one of the videos for low-calorie Korma and I think she was speaking Urdu and English at the same time! Ack!! I feel so inadequate as an English mono-lingue!)
  • msurads06
    msurads06 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Check out theironyou.com he has several indian recipes that he has reworked to be lower fat/calorie.
  • augustremulous
    augustremulous Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    ooh, I'm Indian! And I love healthy Indian food.

My weakness is white rice. I replace with brown rice often, but 1. It's really not that much more fiber, and 2. Somehow brown rice doesn't soak up the flavors of Indian food as well as white rice. So nowadays I use low fat or fat free cottage cheese instead of rice. It delivers a protein punch, is wonderfully creamy without being too fattening, and is way lower in calories than a starch. It makes it easier to eat Indian food and cut carbs, and it complements Indian spices well. If I absolutely must have a starch, I sometimes just boil a sweet potato, mash it up, and eat my curry with that. Also a much better option than white rice or bread.

My dad, when he lost a ton of weight and was trying to control his blood sugar, regularly made a stew he made in a rice cooker. He has a giant rice cooker. In it, he puts 1/3 cup of brown rice. Then he made a very low fat tadka with one teaspoon of oil and many spices. Then he filled up the rest of the rice cooker with lentils and raw vegetables. This made about four large servings after cooking, so he would refrigerate it and have it for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and then breakfast the following morning before he made a new batch. If he had a day when he was particularly hungry, he would just microwave half an eggplant and then mix his serving with that before eating it so he could have more volume and more fiber. So that's 1/3 cup of brown rice, one teaspoon of oil, some protein, and pretty much unlimited vegetables for four meals total. He cut a lot of calories that way, and lost weight quickly. He sometimes put soy chunks in there for extra protein. The stew is pretty good. If I were making it I'd put two teaspoons of oil ;)

If you're interested in South Indian, I do like the recipes at mahanandi:

http://www.nandyala.org/mahanandi/

http://www.themahanandi.org

Since I grew up in America and eat several cuisines, it's a bit easier for me. My parents are in the same boat as you, though - they really need that kick. So they're thing is to have everything steamed, and to have it with a spoon of pickle. That gives you all the fatty oils you need along with the spice. In fact, my dad also sometimes will have a serving of cottage cheese or plain greek yogurt with just a pickle. My mother has blood pressure, so she can't do this - but this is something to consider if you don't mind eating sodium. My parents are vegetarian, by the way.

Hope this helps.
  • ViolaLeeBlueberry
    ViolaLeeBlueberry Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Oh boy, the BIG ISSUE!!! That's how I cook a lot of the time, so I've done a lot of experimenting. Here are a few thoughts.

If you google coconut milk, it's actually a better bet than oil for the amount used. (Google says that 1 TBSP of ghee is 110 calories, about the same as oil, but the same amount of coconut milk is only about 50 calories.) Of course, you're not using it for the same purpose ... but you can actually get a really nice taste by using a heaping Tbsp of coconut milk with veggie curry, after the veggies are cooked, and there's no way that small an amount of oil would do the same thing. So you can kind of "cheat" a nice curry effect by stirring in a big spoonful of coconut milk (canned) afterwards, after the veggies are cooked. It won't be saucy, but it'll be good. And saucy is what the dal is for, anyway :-)

Also ... consider boiling or steaming the veggies first. For instance, just 2 minutes in a rolling boil for green beans, and they're practically done (plus a nice bright green color) and you don't have to cook them until they're an oil-coated moosh. They'll still have to go in SOME oil, but lately I've been managing to cook regularly with only 1 TBSP of oil (still with good results), and that's gotta be some kind of record in this part of the world. And of course you CAN add water as you're cooking! It doesn't have to be oil and more oil.

Another thing I've done ... and I'm new here, so I haven't counted up the calories yet, but it's gotta help ... is that after stir-frying the masala mix (such as your garlic, onion and tomatoes with spices) with the amount of oil you need to make it seem right, just drain it and blot it with a paper towel. Yeah I know. What a drag, and kind of persnickety. But it's a reasonable compromise.

I never do the oil thing with the dal (e.g. temper it) unless there are guests. Hubby wants to watch his weight too. So fortunately he think it's great when there's less oil. You can still make it really good with a rasam mix or tamarind / tomatoes / cilantro.

The hardest part is achar. Help, I don't want to swear off achar! And there's no such thing as a non-oily pickle that's worth the name. So it's very aggravating.

Instead of rice or roti you can have papad ... it's half the calories of roti!
  • Kaun123
    Options
    This week in my kitchen.... Chicken stir fry, oven baked chicken kebab and toaster oven chicken breast :)

1qnh36fxqq4n.jpg
    tr853y0awd5o.jpg
    q41ubbomq9xq.jpg
  • curlyslim
    curlyslim Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    OMG the food pics above look amazing!

I dont see why you can't be healthy with indian food!
    Just hold back on the oil with frying, and maybe consider having food that you can marinate like chicken/beef and stick into the oven.

You can still go full on with the spices.