Calorie Deficits and Sugar

Options

Replies

• SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Here's a link to an NPR article that includes information on a recent clinical study:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2014/09/01/344315405/cutting-back-on-carbs-not-fat-may-lead-to-more-weight-loss

The study (published in a peer-reviewed journal) it reports on took two groups of people and put one group on a low-carbohydrate diet and the other group on a low-fat diet. The diets were similar in caloric value. (I can't access the full journal article, so I'm relying on reports from people who've read the article for that last bit. It's not in the abstract, which seems like an oversight.)

At the end of a year, the group on the low-carb diet had lost significantly more weight than the group on the low-fat diet. But both groups had lost weight.

Obviously, there are a number of factors that could have caused the difference. Maybe the low-carb group was better at sticking to its caloric goals. And it's just one study, but it looks like a good one. I imagine there are other studies, but I don't have time to find out right now.

Also, I don't want to get into an argument with anybody. I heard this study discussed on NPR, and the doctors who were talking about it made a distinction between losing weight in the first place (which they agreed can always be done by consuming fewer calories than you expend) and long-term health. They were also talking about other studies that measured other health outcomes.

All I'm saying is that it isn't necessarily correct to dismiss out of hand anyone who says that the composition of your calories matters. While I believe that CICO is correct, it's not obviously impossible that your macro breakdown has no effect on the CO part of that equation.

Also, for many of us (myself included) weight loss is the most significant way to improve our health outcomes. But that doesn't mean that there aren't other problems associated with eating too much of one thing or another. I'm guessing that Mr. Twinkie would have eventually felt not so great.

Finally, regardless of whether low-carb/low-sugar is the best way to lose weight, you can still eat sugar. But surely no one is claiming that eating a Blizzard every day for the rest of your life is the secret to longevity.

No, but it also doesn't do anything to impair or worsen my health.

Not yet, anyway.

Here is a quote from an article (that discusses a study done in 1973 and other subsequent studies) that is linked below: "...The researchers confirmed that sugar did not reduce the population of neutrophils BUT RATHER THEIR FUNCTION. (emphasis mine) This study showed that simple carbohydrates such as sugar can depress the immune system for hours. Complex carbohydrates, on the other, do not affect the immune system in this way. The observed inhibition of white blood cell phagocytosis in this study suggests that those who regularly consume simple sugars every day may continuously suffer from impaired immune functions. It is also worth noting that the researchers only observed the effect of sugar on the immune system for 5 hours. Therefore, it is possible that sugars may depress the immune system further than 5 hours..."

http://www.progressivehealth.com/does-eating-sugar-increase-your-risk-of-influenza.htm
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Here's a link to an NPR article that includes information on a recent clinical study:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2014/09/01/344315405/cutting-back-on-carbs-not-fat-may-lead-to-more-weight-loss

The study (published in a peer-reviewed journal) it reports on took two groups of people and put one group on a low-carbohydrate diet and the other group on a low-fat diet. The diets were similar in caloric value. (I can't access the full journal article, so I'm relying on reports from people who've read the article for that last bit. It's not in the abstract, which seems like an oversight.)

At the end of a year, the group on the low-carb diet had lost significantly more weight than the group on the low-fat diet. But both groups had lost weight.

Obviously, there are a number of factors that could have caused the difference. Maybe the low-carb group was better at sticking to its caloric goals. And it's just one study, but it looks like a good one. I imagine there are other studies, but I don't have time to find out right now.

Also, I don't want to get into an argument with anybody. I heard this study discussed on NPR, and the doctors who were talking about it made a distinction between losing weight in the first place (which they agreed can always be done by consuming fewer calories than you expend) and long-term health. They were also talking about other studies that measured other health outcomes.

All I'm saying is that it isn't necessarily correct to dismiss out of hand anyone who says that the composition of your calories matters. While I believe that CICO is correct, it's not obviously impossible that your macro breakdown has no effect on the CO part of that equation.

Also, for many of us (myself included) weight loss is the most significant way to improve our health outcomes. But that doesn't mean that there aren't other problems associated with eating too much of one thing or another. I'm guessing that Mr. Twinkie would have eventually felt not so great.

Finally, regardless of whether low-carb/low-sugar is the best way to lose weight, you can still eat sugar. But surely no one is claiming that eating a Blizzard every day for the rest of your life is the secret to longevity.

No, but it also doesn't do anything to impair or worsen my health.

No offense but you're also 21. Your metabolism is as fast as it will ever be. Try regular trips to DQ in your 30's or 40's. :)

Ohai!
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical issue that causes you to be insulin resistant, then there is no reason to worry about it, and you do not have to avoid it. Diabetics, of course. People with fatty liver, women with PCOS, women in menopause, can be insulin resistant.

In addition, most obese women are leptin-resistant. Leptin resistance precedes and predicts insulin resistance if nothing is done to stop the train from moving in that direction. Both are a function of high blood glucose. There are hormonal / metabolic factors that predispose even well-exercised, moderate eaters to have high blood glucose.
  • keegan2149
    keegan2149 Posts: 65 Member
    Options

Yes insulin without excess sugar isn't bad. It's just a hormone. That's like saying pumping gas with a lit match is the same as pumping gas without one. Also, is it just me or is defending sugar on a weight loss site a bit like defending social drinking at an AA meeting? I mean if sugar were completely harmless at least some of us (not me, I"m a pizza and steak guy) wouldn't be here.

Can we maybe post one link from a major news outlet, university or government agency? Or at least something that lists or at least hints at it's sources? What are weightology.net and bodyrecomposition.com?
  • keegan2149
    Options
    Unless you have a medical issue that causes you to be insulin resistant, then there is no reason to worry about it, and you do not have to avoid it. Diabetics, of course. People with fatty liver, women with PCOS, women in menopause, can be insulin resistant.

In addition, most obese women are leptin-resistant. Leptin resistance precedes and predicts insulin resistance if nothing is done to stop the train from moving in that direction. Both are a function of high blood glucose. There are hormonal / metabolic factors that predispose even well-exercised, moderate eaters to have high blood glucose.

Fine... Sugar doesn't cause insulin resistance, but it is linked to obesity (hopefully no one will argue with me there..) and obesity is linked to insulin resistance. (note the link from a reputable source instead of healthy_sounding_domain.com)

Some experts believe obesity, especially excess fat around the waist, is a primary cause of insulin resistance. Scientists used to think that fat tissue functioned solely as energy storage. However, studies have shown that belly fat produces hormones and other substances that can cause serious health problems such as insulin resistance, high blood pressure, imbalanced cholesterol, and cardiovascular disease (CVD).
    Belly fat plays a part in developing chronic, or long-lasting, inflammation in the body. Chronic inflammation can damage the body over time, without any signs or symptoms. Scientists have found that complex interactions in fat tissue draw immune cells to the area and trigger low-level chronic inflammation. This inflammation can contribute to the development of insulin resistance, type 2 diabetes, and CVD. Studies show that losing the weight can reduce insulin resistance and prevent or delay type 2 diabetes.

http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/insulinresistance/#resistance
  • keegan2149
    Options
    Wow lots of bad info on this thread.... For those that eat too much sugar and still lose weight it depends on how fast you eat it. If you repeatedly eat 40 - 50g of sugar in one sitting (cake, pie, soda every day) and nothing else all day you will gain weight. If you drink iced tea and gatorade throughout the day and eventually exceed your limit you'll be fine because your liver had more time to process the sugar. Fiber matters too. Sugar consumed with most fruits almost doesn't count because of the amount of fiber that comes with it.

Of course, exercise at that level requires a lot of "fast" energy and there's nothing "faster" than a large amount of sugar and /or starch. Those are very "available" calories unlike other calories, such as more "complex" carbohydrates that must be separated from fiber or digested for some time such as protein and fat so that the calories show up in the bloodstream more gradually.

Bad info I'm reading is coming from you.

So for the past year and a half I've lost a little weight, and I've gone over on sugar almost every day of it. I eat dessert daily. I eat cake, pie, brownies, ice cream... guess I will gain it all back

It's not that simple. I'm not saying never eat sugar, just that sugar without fiber is stored as fat because of how fast the sugar goes into the blood stream. This is the basis for things like the Adkins diet. Not sure why everyone is jumping down my throat now. I'd post links if I thought people would read them.

I normally consume about 500-600 calories of sugar per hour when I am cycling. Sometimes I cycle for well over 6 hours. At 6 hours, let's say that I consume 3600 calories. You are honestly saying that during that time, I put on 1lb of fat (rougly)?

You can't be serious.. Even slow cycling will burn about 1000 calories per hour. If you eat the sugar WHILE you're exercising things work differently. Otherwise there'd be no such thing as energy gels.

Hopefully you're just trying to get a rise out of me. AKA. trolling. But why would someone fit enough to cycle for six hours try to convince others to eat sugar? Some people like the OP are just starting out and come here for information.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Yes insulin without excess sugar isn't bad. It's just a hormone. That's like saying pumping gas with a lit match is the same as pumping gas without one. Also, is it just me or is defending sugar on a weight loss site a bit like defending social drinking at an AA meeting? I mean if sugar were completely harmless at least some of us (not me, I"m a pizza and steak guy) wouldn't be here.

Can we maybe post one link from a major news outlet, university or government agency? Or at least something that lists or at least hints at it's sources? What are weightology.net and bodyrecomposition.com?

Why don't you take the time to actually read them (and, you know, click the links that take you to peer reviewed studies).

Also, if you think you can use an article from a major news outlet as a basis for a conclusion, I would strongly suggest you do not.

And you analogy is totally off base. Its nothing like it...at all.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Some people like the OP are just starting out and come here for information.

And that is the reason (as well as for other readers) that people try to stop the mis-information.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    You can't be serious.. Even slow cycling will burn about 1000 calories per hour.

Ah, no.

Not even close.
  • keegan2149
    Options
    Wow lots of bad info on this thread.... For those that eat too much sugar and still lose weight it depends on how fast you eat it. If you repeatedly eat 40 - 50g of sugar in one sitting (cake, pie, soda every day) and nothing else all day you will gain weight. If you drink iced tea and gatorade throughout the day and eventually exceed your limit you'll be fine because your liver had more time to process the sugar. Fiber matters too. Sugar consumed with most fruits almost doesn't count because of the amount of fiber that comes with it.

Of course, exercise at that level requires a lot of "fast" energy and there's nothing "faster" than a large amount of sugar and /or starch. Those are very "available" calories unlike other calories, such as more "complex" carbohydrates that must be separated from fiber or digested for some time such as protein and fat so that the calories show up in the bloodstream more gradually.

Bad info I'm reading is coming from you.

So for the past year and a half I've lost a little weight, and I've gone over on sugar almost every day of it. I eat dessert daily. I eat cake, pie, brownies, ice cream... guess I will gain it all back

It's not that simple. I'm not saying never eat sugar, just that sugar without fiber is stored as fat because of how fast the sugar goes into the blood stream. This is the basis for things like the Adkins diet. Not sure why everyone is jumping down my throat now. I'd post links if I thought people would read them.

I normally consume about 500-600 calories of sugar per hour when I am cycling. Sometimes I cycle for well over 6 hours. At 6 hours, let's say that I consume 3600 calories. You are honestly saying that during that time, I put on 1lb of fat (rougly)?

You can't be serious.. Even slow cycling will burn about 1000 calories per hour. If you eat the sugar WHILE you're exercising things work differently. Otherwise there'd be no such thing as energy gels.

Hopefully you're just trying to get a rise out of me. AKA. trolling. But why would someone fit enough to cycle for six hours try to convince others to eat sugar? Some people like the OP are just starting out and come here for information.
    You obviously don't know much about nutrition and how specific training works.

Can you show us your progress so far?

As others have said correlation is not causation, but I'll bite. I've only lost 5 pounds so far. I just started. A year or so ago I lost about 70 pounds which is when I learned about fitness. Feel free to take that and run with it. Just out of curiosity what did I say that you didn't agree with? Cycling doesn't burn 100 calories per hour or that eating sugar while exercising is different than eating sugar while resting? Assuming of course you didn't just want to compare progress bars since I have less than 100 posts here.
  • keegan2149
    Options
    You can't be serious.. Even slow cycling will burn about 1000 calories per hour.

Ah, no.

Not even close.

That's what most apps give me for gross burn. What is close? Why does that matter? I thought the point was whether or not you're storing fat during a 6 hour cycling session?
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Even slow cycling will burn about 1000 calories per hour.

Well dang, I've been doing the wrong exercise then! :laugh:
  • keegan2149
    Options

Why don't you take the time to actually read them (and, you know, click the links that take you to peer reviewed studies).

Also, if you think you can use an article from a major news outlet as a basis for a conclusion, I would strongly suggest you do not.

I read the weightology one actually. It defended insulin as if that tells the whole tale. Like I said the difference between insulin with and without sugar is similar to the difference between pumping gas with and without a lit match. My point was those articles are written in a tone that obviously defends sugar intake as normal. It focuses on insulin as if insulin just appears by itself. It disingenuous and misleading for those who can't read between the lines. Again what is exactly is everyones point? That a calorie is a calorie? That sugar intake can just be ignored? That all sugar consumed can be used as fuel? You folks can eat what you want. I'll be a little less incredulous when we're not leading the world in childhood obesity and other food related illnesses.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

I read the weightology one actually. It defended insulin as if that tells the whole tale. Like I said the difference between insulin with and without sugar is similar to the difference between pumping gas with and without a lit match. My point was those articles are written in a tone that obviously defends sugar intake as normal. It focuses on insulin as if insulin just appears by itself. It disingenuous and misleading for those who can't read between the lines. Again what is exactly is everyones point? That a calorie is a calorie? That sugar intake can just be ignored? That all sugar consumed can be used as fuel? You folks can eat what you want. I'll be a little less incredulous when we're not leading the world in childhood obesity and other food related illnesses.

I responded to your comment - that you wanted to see what you consider credible sources - they point to peer reviewed studies. Also, I am not sure how you are reading what you think you are reading. The weightology one that you say you have read does not even focus on sugar.

Also, how can you say that you read it when you said the part bolded above? The one you say you read even hyper-linked them.

And no, that is not what people are saying.

And its still a bad analogy.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Ah, no.

Not even close.

That's what most apps give me for gross burn. What is close? Why does that matter? I thought the point was whether or not you're storing fat during a 6 hour cycling session?

Because essentially all I am doing by eating the sugar is creating a deficit while I eat it. So if sugar is still stored as fat automatically, what is the difference if I am burning an immense amount of calories while eating an abnormal amount of sugar compared to someone who eats a moderate amount yet burns it off during the day?