HELP! What's a quick non-animal protein dish, 30g protein?

Options
ana3067
ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
We're mostly out of protein sources, what we do have is frozen red meat, but I also just don't really want more meat tonight.

We (will) have greek yogurt, also have a bit of cottage cheese left, and then some fruits and veggies and some rice and uh... cheese, but cheese and nut butter are all fattier.

Also have protein powder. Is there something quick I could put together with protein powder and yogurt and fruit? Maybe some type of dessert?

Replies

• ana3067
    Options
    We're mostly out of protein sources, what we do have is frozen red meat, but I also just don't really want more meat tonight.

We (will) have greek yogurt, also have a bit of cottage cheese left, and then some fruits and veggies and some rice and uh... cheese, but cheese and nut butter are all fattier.

Also have protein powder. Is there something quick I could put together with protein powder and yogurt and fruit? Maybe some type of dessert?
    I obviously want something more specific than just throwing things together lol. especially when I do that with protein powder there's a good chance it will wind up tasting gross or have a bad texture. Like when I mixed PP with my oatmeal.... ugh.
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    Options

I obviously want something more specific than just throwing things together lol. especially when I do that with protein powder there's a good chance it will wind up tasting gross or have a bad texture. Like when I mixed PP with my oatmeal.... ugh.
    Blend it together and poop it in the freezer for a bit in a gal ziplock bag. Take it out and squeeze bag till you have a soft "ice cream". Scoop and serve with fruit on top.
  • ana3067
    Options

Blend it together and poop it in the freezer for a bit in a gal ziplock bag. Take it out and squeeze bag till you have a soft "ice cream". Scoop and serve with fruit on top.

I'm 12, I laughed.

What kind of ratio works well for this, does it matter?
  • lizzylovestocook
    lizzylovestocook Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I don't have a dessert recipe but you could make a shake with the greek yoghurt , fruit and protein powder ( if its vanilla ) . Or if it's chocolate how about the yoghurt , chocolate protein powder and a tablespoon or so of peanut butter .Guess you'd have to mix it all with some kind of milk or water and ice cubes . Cottage cheese is great with fruit too . Sorry I can't think of anything else .
  • PhatAv8r
    PhatAv8r Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Good luck, but for 30g of protein, you couldn't eat enough legumes or tofu to pull it off... that's a LOT of protein...

If it's me, and you want to try, I'd put my tofu in the freezer, and then make chili with kidney and pinto beans, maybe some black beans... you could even throw in some brown rice... don't forget some dice tomatoes and dice green chilis; flavor the chili base to taste with chili powder and hot sauce.

Once the tufu is frozen, defrost it in the microwave and then crumble it (it will crumble like hamburger after it's frozen) stir fry in a little oil and add some chili powder and red pepper flakes (or use spicy Mrs Dash) to flavor it... then put it into you chili and let it cook for an hour.

I haven't run the numbers, but this should give you close to 18g per 2 cup serving (and that's a big serving).. best I can offer, make sure you and your hubby take the Beano. :)
  • jasonheyd
    jasonheyd Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    150 g protein powder
    150 g honey
    75 g Peanut Butter
    35-50 g Oat Flour, ground quick/rolled oats, almond meal, fiber powder or ground flax seed
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    1-2 tbsp water as needed

Optional : 5-10 g cacao powder (if you want the Reese's PB cup version)

Mix it all together in a food processor or by hand (food processor is MUCH easier).

You can roll 'em into little "no-bake cookie balls" or flatten between wax paper in an 8x8 baking dish to make 8 bars. Each bar has ~200 calories, 20 g carbs, 20 g protein, 6 g fat.

You can also use agave or stevia or sugar in place of honey. Depending on what you use for sweetener and the flour/oats/etc. you might need to tweak the liquid-to-dry ratio a bit.

You basically want the "dough" to feel slightly sticky, but not sticky enough that the bars/balls come apart from sticking to your fingers. :)
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    Options

I'm 12, I laughed.

What kind of ratio works well for this, does it matter?
    Lol on my phone!

2scoops 1/2-1c yogurt fruit to taste. Add coco powder or cinnamon if the artificial sweet of the powder is too much for you. Freeze just till it starts to crystallize.
  • FemWeight
    Options
    Not sure this helps but I really like reading Joanna Soh recipes. My favorite is the peanut bar quick and easy and full of protein as well as tasty :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13UZxQdf7sI