I'm Always hungry!

Options
I'm always hungry, i can just eat a good size, healthy meal and within 30 minutes i want to eat more. I drink plenty of water, i was thinking of trying those pills to keep you full but i don't know if they are healthy. So I guess I wanna know :

1. Foods that will keep me full, longer.
2. Pills option
3. How you deal with your hunger?
4. Anything Else that may help me.

I really want to continue losing weight but i feel like i can't do it when i'm always hungry and over-eating.

Replies

• RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I'm always hungry, i can just eat a good size, healthy meal and within 30 minutes i want to eat more. I drink plenty of water, i was thinking of trying those pills to keep you full but i don't know if they are healthy. So I guess I wanna know :

1. Foods that will keep me full, longer.
    2. Pills option
    3. How you deal with your hunger?
    4. Anything Else that may help me.

I really want to continue losing weight but i feel like i can't do it when i'm always hungry and over-eating.

1. PROTEIN or FAT are the most satiating. I can inhale a whole bag of sweets or a loaf of bread, but I'd struggle to eat more than a couple of steaks or boiled eggs.

2. A broad multivitamin. Maybe fish oil also.

3. If I am truly hungry, I eat something high in fat and/or protein. If I am bored, stressed or tired, I drink herbal tea, zero calorie cola, water, black coffee, sugar free sweets and/or chew gum.

4. Don't eat in front of a screen - computer/tv/windscreen. Sit at a table with no distractions when you are eating whenever possible.
  • 1stplace4health
    1stplace4health Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    PLEASE let me know too when you have the answer!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Make sure your calorie goal is set accurately and you're eating enough for your stats/activity level. That means using at least some of your exercise calories if you're using MFP's set up.

Look for foods higher in protein, fat, and fiber.

Play with your meal sizes and timing. Some people do really well on small meals throughout the day and others prefer fewer, larger meals.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Your body is used to over-eating. It's going to suck for a while, as you get used to eating a more appropriate amount.

You just have work through it. Some food choices can make it easier, for some people, but it's still going to require a serious commitment on your part.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Don't eat anything with HFCS, as studies have shown your brain doesn't realize you have eaten those calories and tells you to eat still.
    On the physical side, try more protein and fat, particularly earlier in the day. Carbs are processed pretty quickly and give you a quick spike, but are gone within a few hours (or less, depending on the specific food).
    Protein won't give you any energy now, but it will give you spikes from 2-5 hours.
    Fat isn't as much energy, but what little you get is spread out over several hours (around 8-12 hours).

Combine some of these things... eat a bacon, egg, and cheese sandwich for breakfast - carbs for now, protein for until lunch, and fat for into the afternoon. At lunch, do the same - stack carbs and protein onto the fat already in your system, and some additional fat to get you to bedtime. Dinner would be almost exclusively carbs, maybe a bit of protein as well. You don't need a lot of energy to sleep, so get a spike until bedtime (carbs and maybe protein, depending on how long it is until bed).

I'm not an expert, but I have type 1 diabetes and have to time insulin to blood sugar spikes based on digestion times, so I'm suggesting this based on my education and experience with various types of foods and a little bit of random research from time to time.
  • desidieter
    Options
    Make sure your calorie goal is set accurately and you're eating enough for your stats/activity level. That means using at least some of your exercise calories if you're using MFP's set up.

THIS ^^

I was going through the same thing. Even though I was losing weight, I found myself constantly hungry. Turns out, upon more research, I was under-eating by about 300-400 calories every day. At the time I never realized that MFP's default set up isn't always accurate. So I changed my daily calorie intake according to my BMR and TDEE, and now I don't find myself nearly as hungry.

All that to say, if your calorie intake is already accurate, I agree with others about high protein meals. Try to find snacks that aren't calorie dense but filling; veggies are always a good idea.
  • shai74
    shai74 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Yep, eat protein, plenty of saturated fat, little in the way of carbs, and hunger will be a thing of the past. I no longer think one meal to the next, nor am I tempted by everything I see (office birthday cake for example doesn't interest me).

What you eat will make more of a difference than how much.
  • berkayaliulker
    Options
    eat oats. loads of oats.
  • odywithaj
    odywithaj Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    dumb question but what is HFCS? Nevermind.... i found it..
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    We could be of more help if you open your diary.

First - protein and fats keep you full longer.
    Second - pills are NOT an option for healthy.
    Third - dealing with hunger - if it's real hunger eat; if it's mind hunger find something else to occupy your mind.

Double check your calorie goals - you may not be eating enough and that could be your issue.
    I stay fuller when I eat tons of veggies - usually with a bit of butter.
    Protein shakes are good for keeping you full for a long time.

Good luck!
  • SandyBVTN
    SandyBVTN Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Lots of great insight already here.

I also find I am hungry a lot, and a lot of that has to do with getting used to eating a waaaaaay smaller amount of calories than my body is used to. Counting now, I am realizing I regularly ate/drank 3000+ calories a day. Taking in between 1200 and 1500 a day now is a huge change.

Some of my tricks:

- lots of water
    - stevia sweetened soda fills my tummy but has no calories and makes me feel like I'm having a sweet treat
    - good amounts of fat and protein. Some days it feels like half my calories are cheese, lox and peanut butter
    - huge green salads with fat and protein added fill me up and give me the feeling of eating a massive meal
    - I usually eat four meals a day, plus a snack sometimes
    - I rarely eat things like nuts that are high in calorie but I don't find very filling. Peanut butter on celery or carrots and hummus goes further for me

I also have a standing deal with myself that if I am too hungry too often, or my energy levels are effected, OR I am thinking of quitting because I'm too hungry, I would raise my calories a bit. Have you considered adding 100 or so calories a day? You might end up feeling more satisfied but might still lose weight.
  • sdps745
    sdps745 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have this problem too, BUT I HAVE noticed that when I eat sardines, they REALLY satisfy my hunger... With the statements noted here about protein and fat... THAT must be why they satisfy my hunger! Good point!
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    when i cant stop my hunger i eat collard greens. After two servings my appetite is gone!
  • berkayaliulker
    Options
    also if you feel hungry and looking for a snack eat carrots, they're low in calories and very filling :)
  • bokaba
    bokaba Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    If you have been very overweight or eaten extremely large portions (6,000 plus calories a day as some people do), your body may take some time transition from your caloric wants to your nutritional needs and suffering some hunger for a while may be part of that process unfortunately. When I transitioned from eating more than 4,000 calories a day with zero physical activity to less than 2,000 it was rather painful for probably about a week. If you are under the caloric intake you need to stay healthy, you should eat healthy snacks to reduce hunger.
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Not long ago I was reading about satiety and how certain foods make us feel fuller, longer. It was interesting, maybe you'd like to read it?

http://nutritiondata.self.com/topics/fullness-factor
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    If you have been very overweight or eaten extremely large portions (6,000 plus calories a day as some people do), your body may take some time transition from your caloric wants to your nutritional needs and suffering some hunger for a while may be part of that process unfortunately. When I transitioned from eating more than 4,000 calories a day with zero physical activity to less than 2,000 it was rather painful for probably about a week. If you are under the caloric intake you need to stay healthy, you should eat healthy snacks to reduce hunger.
    6,000? Wow. Congrats on the transition
  • sdps745
    sdps745 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    also if you feel hungry and looking for a snack eat carrots, they're low in calories and very filling :)

Yes, that's good! I've bought the shoestring cut carrots! They are easier to crunch, take longer to eat and remind me of eating potato sticks! :)
  • berkayaliulker
    Options
    they're really good to dip in to hummus :)
  • Josephine237
    Josephine237 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I was always hungry too, but I increased my protein and fiber and it made all the difference for me. Oh and drink a cup of water after eating a fiber snack. I really like Fiber One oats and chocolate bars or Fiber One Protein bars.