I need a Chili Recipe!

Options
I've been doing so good with exercise + diet and the souper bowl is comming up. I could really use a good Chili recipe for the occasion. I'm thinking of creating my own consisting of black beans, mushrooms, ground turkey. Feel free to send me some input and let me know what you think. I'll take suggestions.

Replies

• debkin
    debkin Posts: 14
    Options
    That is a great idea! Just stick with clean foods (fresh tomatoes, peppers, etc) and add some chick peas and lots of spices! Clean chili is good too!!
  • ctheslayer
    Options
    That is a great idea! Just stick with clean foods (fresh tomatoes, peppers, etc) and add some chick peas and lots of spices! Clean chili is good too!!

I second that.
    I would like to recommend black soy beans as well. Low carb, high protein. I always have a few cans in the pantry. Here's a link to a brand I use.

http://www.amazon.com/Eden-Organic-Black-Beans-15-Ounce/dp/B000GZS9Q6
  • helenbeee
    helenbeee Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I think you might find this recipe quite good. Its my own and is pretty delicious but also caloric smart.

Chili Con Carne (This is what I call it)
    Serves: 4
    Ingredients
    1 x 400g can of Kidney beans (60cals/serve)
    1 x 400g can of diced tomatoes
    1 x packet of Maggi chile con carne mix (use the powder mix not liquid 40 cal/serve. If you cant find powder just add chili powder to taste)
    1 x chopped onion
    400gms lean 5 star minced beef (extra lean beef)
    spray oil

How to:
    1. spray pan with lite olive oil.
    2. brown onions and mince.
    3. Add chili mix or chili powder and mix into mince onion mix.
    4. Add tinned tomatoes and beans stir into mince and onion mix.
    5. Add a little water if needed.
    6. Put lid on turn heat down and simmer for 20 mins.

When you serve if you are the sort of person that has chili with rice you can substitute with steamed cauliflower. You chop the cauliflower finely and microwave or steam for 2-3mins. You place this at the bottom of the bowl and spoon chili on top. If you crave the cheese flavour I add the parmesan cheese powder to the top a tablespoon is all you need to get the flavour.

You can make this as hot or mild as you like. You can also add a chopped stick of celery for crunch. I try to leave out corn as its really high in carbs. Its really delicious and perfect for those times when you want a more wholesome meal

This will be roughly be around 350 calories for a hearty bowel of tasty chili. I hope this helps!

PS: if you are vegetarian using chunks of mushrooms instead of mince is just as delicious.
  • cupcake502
    Options
    why dotn you try using quorn mince its 94cals per 100g, even if your not veggie its still very nice, i started eating it when i was a FULL ON meat eater because it was in the veggi option at work and the dish looked lovely!
  • Nelkie
    Nelkie Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I use Aduki beans, very low fat and helps with metabolism. Just make basic chilli sauce - tomatoes, chllli powder, garlic, tomoatoe puree, a cup of stock (I use beef) and add finely chopped celery, a couple of carrots and a couple of celery stalks to 150g of Aduki beans and once cooked blend it - serves 4 and works out about 156 cals per serving. I add kidney beans to mine to bulk it up (not sure how many calories that makes it)

Hope it helps!
    Nadia
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    I got this recipe from a friend and it is really good. Said you can add other veggies like carrots if you want to also.

1-2 lbs cooked ground turkey 

SAUTE TOGETHER (in a little Olive oil or chicken broth)
    1 medium onion chopped
    1-2 stalks celery chopped
    1 red bell pepper, chopped (sometimes I add green pepper too for extra color)
    2-4 cloves garlic chopped

ADD:
    1 can of diced or stewed tomatoes (if you like spicy, use the kind with green chilies)
    1 small can tomato sauce
    1+ cup chicken broth (a little more or less depending on the consistency you like)
    2 Tbs chili powder
    1 Tbs cumin
    1 tsp oregano
    1 tsp salt
    STIR WELL.

ADD:
    1 can kidney beans, drained
    1 can black beans, drained
    1 small can corn, drained

Let it simmer over a med low heat for a bit (20 minutes or so). If you like the flavor of beer, you can add 1/2 bottle to it (make sure it is good beer) and the alcohol will cook out. 
  • msjohnston
    msjohnston Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hey,

I recently posted a blog on a vegetarian/vegan Tofu Chili recipe. Here is the link: http://tinyurl.com/4czykoy

You won't miss the meat at all and your heart will thank you for the reduced cholesterol. I am not a vegetarian or a vegan, but I absolutely love this clean healthy recipe. I hope you will too.
  • LadydayN
    Options
    Here is a really easy and delicious crock pot chili recipe:
    Chicken Taco Chili

3 FROZEN boneless, skinless chicken breasts (can use fresh unfrozen too)
    1 Packet ranch dressing mix
    1 Packet taco seasoning mix
    2 Cups jarred salsa
    1-15 oz. can black beans
    1-15 oz. can cannellini beans
    1-15 oz. can kidney beans
    1-15 oz. can pinto beans
    1-15 oz. can vegetarian baked beans
    1-15 oz. can corn

Put everything in the crock pot IN THE ORDER listed.

DO NOT DRAIN OR RINSE ANYTHING.
    DO NOT STIR ANYTHING.

Cook on low for 6-7 hours.

Take the chicken out and shred with two forks. Mix back into chili.