I can't stop stuffing my face....

Options
Mid twenties, female at 205lbs (14.9stn). At 5'6 the lightest I've been was 133lbs (9.7stn) and then I just needed to lose a few more pounds to fit my clothes perfect. A few years back I started a job that involved a LOT of driving. Last October my uncle died in front of me despite my efforts so I've had a bit of a rough time but he's at peace and so am I but I did put on a lot of weight. But... I'm in such a habit of stuffing my face.

My family, who I financially support and care for (due to disability) always buys junk food and sweet things. When I get back from work I have cake rammed in my face and I CAN'T SEEM TO SAY NO. I do enjoy my crap food but it's got to stop. I feel completely and utterly out of control and as if no matter my long term desire to be healthy and not suffer a short life due to obesity (runs in the family) I am just doomed to end up like it. It's as if I'm not even in control as I binge. It's so depressing. This is the one thing I'm meant to be able to control but I just don't know how....

Replies

• missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Biggest thing is finding the willpower. Most of it has to come from within, and learning to tell yourself no. It's hard, and takes trial and error, but it's possible.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Why not try and talk to your family and suggest they buy more healthier foods and just limit the "treat foods" until the weekend?
    Eating those types of things every day isn't great for anyone (regardless of size).
    Do they actually know you want to lose weight?
  • Julesdublin
    Julesdublin Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I think the ability to say no to crap food has a lot to do with dissociating food with feelings. Most of the time when we overeat it's not because we are hungry - it's because we are searching pleasure/comfort. I honestly believe that seeing food as an enjoyable but functional part of our lives leads to a healthy weight. We have to eat and there's nothing wrong with having a bit of comfort food every so often - just not all the time.

Sometimes it's just hard to change our approach to food by ourselves. I believe counseling can be a great tool of support - especially when the environment around us is not very supportive.

If you desire to be healthy and not suffer a short life due to obesity - you can do it. It's really not impossible. It seems you write a lot about how to control yourself. Try to see what triggers your binging; what motivates you to stay on track. The more you become self-aware - the easier it will be to control yourself.

Best of luck!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    First, if you're supporting that grocery bill, you should have a little say over what its used for. You can either start doing the grocery shopping yourself, or have a talk with whoever is doing it. YOU are ultimately the one responsible for what goes in your mouth, so its up to you to say no.
  • opalsqueak007
    opalsqueak007 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

You are carrying a lot of responsibility for a young person. I know where you are coming from.

Even though you are young, you are going to reach a point where overeating lands you in trouble with your health. So my advice is just stop it right now this minute. Stop neglecting yourself. Consider yourself and put yourself first for now - go out and buy food for yourself, fresh meat, fish, fruit and veg and health good things for your freezer. I don't have much money at all, but I have managed it fine.

I have to buy food and cook for three other people, all who have different tastes and needs, and never made time for my own food and health and I just ate rubbish. This has led to me being fat and having bad health. I have lost 20lbs so far, taking care of my nutrition only takes another half hour a day. You can't stop other people eating junk, but you can control your own eating. You won't miss the junk food either. Good luck to you as I understand the position you are in.

Edit having friends on here helps a lot. I'm a lot older than you but would love to be a friend if it might help.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    First, if you're supporting that grocery bill, you should have a little say over what its used for. You can either start doing the grocery shopping yourself, or have a talk with whoever is doing it. YOU are ultimately the one responsible for what goes in your mouth, so its up to you to say no.

this!
  • caminoslo
    caminoslo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Mid twenties, female at 205lbs (14.9stn). At 5'6 the lightest I've been was 133lbs (9.7stn) and then I just needed to lose a few more pounds to fit my clothes perfect. A few years back I started a job that involved a LOT of driving. Last October my uncle died in front of me despite my efforts so I've had a bit of a rough time but he's at peace and so am I but I did put on a lot of weight. But... I'm in such a habit of stuffing my face.

My family, who I financially support and care for (due to disability) always buys junk food and sweet things. When I get back from work I have cake rammed in my face and I CAN'T SEEM TO SAY NO. I do enjoy my crap food but it's got to stop. I feel completely and utterly out of control and as if no matter my long term desire to be healthy and not suffer a short life due to obesity (runs in the family) I am just doomed to end up like it. It's as if I'm not even in control as I binge. It's so depressing. This is the one thing I'm meant to be able to control but I just don't know how....
    Eat protein first