Super low cal snacks

Options
So I have been on this weight loss diet for a few weeks and I am going pretty well. But I really need some super low cal snack ideas (around 100). I tend to spend the rest of my cals during the day and I don"t really have any more to spare other than a single 100 cal snack. Any super low cal snack ideas anyone?

Replies

• Helenad4
    Options
    Depending on if you are looking for something sweet to kill cravings of if you just want something to fill a gap. Carrots and hummus are pretty good, you can have about 10 stickes (roughly 2 1/2 inchces long) with 3 tbsp of hummus. It keeps you ticking over. If you are looking for something more substantial then 2 medium egg whites scrambles on a piece of whole meal toast.
  • rpantusa
    rpantusa Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of almonds, really good and packed with protein and just watch the portion size. Emerald makes the 100 calorie packs, which come in a variety of flavors like vanilla bean, cinnamon roast, etc. I eat these when I am hungry between meals and it usually will hold me over. :smile:
  • Runcakes
    Runcakes Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Raw veggies + hummus is my favourite low cal snack! I never get bored of it either because I switch up the veggie frequently (carrots, celery, broccoli etc.).
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    Sugar snap peas and some low cal dip or hummus. You get a crunch like you are eating something substantial.
  • MollyMS77
    MollyMS77 Posts: 12 Member
    Options

What a fantastic list! I can't wait to try stuffed figs.

I choose to use almost all my calories for meals because I just do better that way, but for a treat that also tides me over if I am a bit hungry, I like a little hot chocolate mix stirred into my coffee. This is only about 30-50 calories depending on how much I add.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    crescent rolls with apple slices. here is the link to my recipe page on mfp http://www.myfitnesspal.com/recipe/view/52212374

they are so yummy and only 142 cals. you can make them ahead and freeze them for later too.

any fruit with 2T of whipped topping is good too.
  • clarissarose30
    Options
    I love celery with spicy salsa!
  • ketigris
    Options
    Wow!!! These are really great ideas. I had no idea about some of these. I'm really keen on the almond idea. Thank you for the ideas everyone :)
  • candistyx
    candistyx Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    This may seem weird but I want to suggest that you save those 100 calories you might spend on a snack and just eat all your food at meals. For the first week or so you'll get hungry between meals, but once your body figures out that you only eat at specific times you'll find your hunger will only arise at those times.

If you eat at regular times you will train yourself to only want food at those times. The effect is stronger if you always eat in the same place/s (e.g. never eat at a desk or in front of the computer, always eat at the dinner table, in the cafeteria, even in the park outside work if that's the least "work" related place at work you can find).

We're a lot like pavlov's dogs. Conditioning works.
  • AngeliqueAcee
    AngeliqueAcee Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    My favourite very low cal snack are raisins. I just cannot get enough of them! Sure they may be a bit sugary, but I don't count sugar so I couldn't care less.
    That and carrot sticks/fruit bags. When I'm working I usually have a little box of raisins/carrot sticks/fruit bag in the mid morning and mid afternoon keeps me sane :)
  • SAS134
    SAS134 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Chobani makes a 100 calorie yogurt in a variety of flavors. My favorite is the lime, which I didn't think I would like. It tastes like key lime pie filling. They are a good source of protein too.
  • stardust92
    stardust92 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Try this:
    Just thought I would share a tasty recipe for very filling rice pudding. It says it is for two but if you eat the whole lot it is only 86 cals!

•bake 50g dry pudding rice in 560ml water (stirred well) in the oven at 160°C/140°C Fan/Gas 3 for 45 minutes.

•Remove from the oven, strain the rice to remove the remaining water and return the drained rice to the dish. Add 280ml Alpro unsweetened Almond Milk and 3 level tbsp sweetener and sprinkle with a pinch of nutmeg.

•Return to the oven for 30 minutes, or until the milk heats through.

Mmmm!

Best comfort food ever, it can also be done in slow cooker if you want to cook it while at work as it does take a while. It can be cooled and saved in the fridge too if you can resist it!
  • ThatOneNerdyChick
    Options
    My favorite go-to under 100 cal snack are sweet pickles - a good medium sized one will run about 35 cal. they are savory and sweet, I find them to be pretty filling :)
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    I like for 125 calories 2 tbs Tzatziki sauce and Large Red or Yellow Pepper sliced.
  • ddkphotos
    ddkphotos Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    it isn't very realistic to think you will only eat your 3 meals a day at the same kitchen table every single day - right?
    I eat something every 2 to 3 hours. breakfast, morning snack, lunch, afternoon snack, dinner. trying to avoid evening snacks.
    but in the end as long as you stay within your calories it really is personal preference as to how often you eat...
    I would prefer to avoid 3 larger meals and have snacks - but again - personal preference...

For the original question - if I want something sweet - it can be a fruit or dark chocolate. You can home make popcorn on your stove if you want a crunchy snack. veggies are always a good way to go - you can dip in Tzatziki. Cream cheese on celery. Peanut butter on banana... the list goes on.

This may seem weird but I want to suggest that you save those 100 calories you might spend on a snack and just eat all your food at meals. For the first week or so you'll get hungry between meals, but once your body figures out that you only eat at specific times you'll find your hunger will only arise at those times.

If you eat at regular times you will train yourself to only want food at those times. The effect is stronger if you always eat in the same place/s (e.g. never eat at a desk or in front of the computer, always eat at the dinner table, in the cafeteria, even in the park outside work if that's the least "work" related place at work you can find).

We're a lot like pavlov's dogs. Conditioning works.