Is MFP a breeding gound for eating disorders

Options

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    How about people who delete others with ED on MFP? Nice support and motivation right. They will get help from someone else.
  • BekaBooluvsu
    BekaBooluvsu Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I think it is. I think there is always going to be people who it for different purposes. Some maybe eating disorders. I personally am a compulsive overeater and I use this site to keep me accountable. I never lie on my diary, hence why its private.
  • jkleon86
    jkleon86 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    anyone needing to use a food diary or encouragement from others to eat right has an ED of sort and without ED'S what need would there be for MFP anyway?
  • justcat206
    justcat206 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    There are things about the site that are enabling, true. I used to use the site to track my calories in an attempt to stay well under 900/day. And yes, when you're already struggling with wanting to drop a drastic number of pounds the "under her calorie goal" and "lost x pounds" announcements can be painful to see.

But as someone who still dabbles in restriction now and then I have found that overall the site is very helpful. I have friends on my list who know my history and keep an eye on my diary for me. I have a lot of my friends on my list who are very into fitness, not just calorie counting, and seeing them post their workouts (fueled with plenty of food) is motivating. And there are lots of eating disorder related support group forums here.

All in all I think the overall tone of MFP is that of a place where people can come to heal, not one where an e.d. will be supported and encouraged - for that I'm very grateful.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    anyone needing to use a food diary or encouragement from others to eat right has an ED of sort

Shirley, you can't be serious.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    Anything that can be used, can be abused. MFP is no exception.
    ^^^ this.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    anyone needing to use a food diary or encouragement from others to eat right has an ED of sort

I am serious. and don't call me Shirley! :angry:

ETA: actually, i don't agree with the quote within the quote up there. i didn't say it originally. i just had to finish the Airplane quote.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    There are alot of people that read the boards, but never post
    the so-called "lurkers". There are lots of them, so I would point out that only a fraction of MFPers are posting with problems. So, no, I don't consider it a breeding ground, in fact alot of people try to steer members with eating disorders to get the proper help. I have seen this over and over, and therefore, It doesn't make me sad, but pleased that people needing help might just listen and get it. Try to think positive. :smile:
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I often see people using screwdrivers as a chisel or a pry bar. Makes me cringe. Is it the screwdrivers fault that it's not being used to turn screws?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

I am serious. and don't call me Shirley! :angry:

ETA: actually, i don't agree with the quote within the quote up there. i didn't say it originally. i just had to finish the Airplane quote.

:-)
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I don't think MFP breeds eating disorders at all. ED starts long before logging on to any site to track food and exercise.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    MFP is not a breeding ground for eating disorders. MFP cannot control peoples' behavior. In fact, I would state that this site is the total opposite. In addition to promoting healthy weight management, this site has a rule against unhealthy weight loss methods. Threads that violate the rule are locked or removed. Despite the seriousness of EDs, it still boils down to people taking personal responsibility for their health.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    No. But if someone has a full blown ED (or the beginning of an ED) a site like this can fuel their obsession with food and body image.

I think, if used correctly, someone with an ED can benefit from the information here. It depends on where they are in their recovery.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Every day there is a least one post from someone who is struggling with their relationship with food.

I know that mfp 'promotes' healthly eating that posts which promote unhealthy eating are banned but the tools that we all use here food diaries, progress charts, congratulating people on loses etc, could also be used as tools for people with eating disorders and it's really sad.

I would say that the vast majority of these people already have a lot of disordered thinking, ****ty relationships with food and fitness, and often times full on ED. MFP is a tool and is not the root cause of these issues...the root cause of these issues are deep seeded.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I think body dysmorphia and trying crash dieting are things most teens go through at some point, especially the girls. I don't think it's all or even mostly ED.

I do feel like this site can be a breeding ground for FEAR of eating disorders. There are a lot of adults willing to give out exaggerated info ("1200 is dangerous!" "Not eating back is dangerous!"), thinking it'll fend off ED in others somehow. Or maybe they really believe that moderate-deep calorie deficits cause ED.

And there seems to be a lot of reading friends' or strangers' diaries and seeing low numbers and assuming they're accurate, not due to intermittent or just plain creative logging.

You'd think I'd be deluged with friend requests from ED people given that I defend 1200 level dieting but I don't think I have any. I think the real anorexics find the real pro-ana sites.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Well, I was attracted to MFP and had a disordered relationship with food--chronic overeating and a binge/restrict cycle quickly about to spin out of control. MFP (plus the help of my college's dietician and counseling) was exactly the tool I needed. It does work both ways. MFP is absolutely vital to my health--both mental and physical.

And I know I'm not alone in this--To all of you that are recovering and have reached recovery--YOU ROCK! :heart: :drinker:
  • GeeWillickers
    GeeWillickers Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Does watching a horror movie make you go kill people?

Does drinking alcohol make you an alcoholic?

Does eating sugar make you a sugar addict? *ducks*
  • astroophys
    astroophys Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    All genuine eating disorders are mental illnesses. It's not really possible for a website to breed mental illness.. Individuals are genetically predisposed to certain things, certain mental illnesses. One's environment can trigger or encourage the expression of a mental illness/disorder, but that's it.

I think many people are confused when it comes to what an eating disorder is. I think people in first-world anglophone countries are so used to overeating (especially in the States. Our serving sizes are ridiculous, especially considering how many people in the world genuinely don't have enough to eat), that they freak out when they see someone eat a little less than the (admittedly overweight/obese) average. JS.

If anyone on MFP finds themselves getting obsessive, they should talk to a professional or do a bit of independent research. But, that really doesn't mean the person has an eating disorder. The traits of different mental illnesses already exist in the not mentally ill population. It's just that in those with a mental illness, those traits are excessive to the point where they can prevent the individual from living a standard life aka doing the things they need to do to support themselves, accomplish goals, etc.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't call it a breeding ground, but it sadly acts as an aggregate. But the same can be true for any other resource. People always find a way to misuse/abuse that which was intended for good.

This is my impression as well. I think it's a mistake to take from the unsurprising (though depressing) fact that people with eating disorders will of course seek out the tools offered by MFP (without MFP being responsible) that those tools cause the eating disorder. Eating disorders existed before these tools, obviously.