How to log calories for 5x5 lifting workout?

Options
Hi there,

So I'm 27 y/o male down 25 lbs from my starting weight (woo!), I'm eating about 1510 calories per day, and I recently started doing the stronglifts 5x5 program (http://stronglifts.com/). What I'm wondering is, other than just adding the specific lifts which seem to not have a calorie burn value, is there any way to log about 45 minutes of heavy lifting and actually see a calorie number added to my daily goal? Obviously if I run or do rowing or something I can add about 3-600 calories to my overall number for the day (though I still try to stay within my 1510), and I'd like to be able to see the caloric value from the lifting too. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. Advice? Anyone?

Thank you!

Replies

• Live_To_Win
    Live_To_Win Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I am doing 5x5 for almost 2 months now. I don't eat back my calories but you can add Cardio there is an entry for Weight Lifting and it will give you the calories burned
  • All4Me2014xx
    All4Me2014xx Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    In the Cardio section, there is an entry for strength training. You can enter the minutes and get the MFP calorie burn, or set your own.
  • bluetuesday5
    bluetuesday5 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Pretty much impossible to say. The amount of calories burnt lifting is fairly small as you rest a lot, but I'm sure plenty more calories are used to build strength and muscle after the workout. I just use the strength training entry on here.
  • DvlDwnInGA
    DvlDwnInGA Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I never log my lifting cals. Only the cardio time.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Log it as strength training, 1 calorie.

We don't burn much lifting, it may be hard, but it's not burning **** up.

I personally log it as prancercize, because why not?
  • gmclinn
    gmclinn Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Bahahaha Prancercise. I like your style.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Word.

Which reminds me, next time someone wants to work in on squats, I'm going to respond, "I'm sorry, but the princess is in another castle!"
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    I only log it as 1 calorie burned since I am doing TDEE.

I think to say it doesn't burn much is false. It does not burn as many calories in the same 60 minutes or so that a run or bike ride would. However, there are studies looking at the metabolism, total calorie burn, over a 24 hour period. They look at people who did heavy lifting for 60 minutes versus those that did 60 minutes of cardio. Initially the people doing cardio had a higher burn but over a 24 hour period the people that lifted equaled those that did cardio and in some cases had a higher caloric burn for the 24 hour period than those that just did cardio.

I wish I could find those studies. I swear it was something I read from Alan Aragon and Brad Schoenfeld.