Strength Training 4x a week - too much?

Options
I'm strength training 4x a week, occasionally 3x a week, for about half an hour during my lunch break. I only lift 6kg weights and do bodyweight exercises e.g. push-ups and squats.

I've seen a lot of info saying to rest for 48 hours between strength training - I tend to do mine Tuesday - Friday though, then cardio at the weekend.

Will this put too much strain on my muscles and/or hinder my weight loss? Like I say I'm only lifting 6kg although I will build up as I get stronger.

Replies

• megsbk
    Options
    Nicola, this shouldn't be a problem as long as you aren't training the same muscle groups on back-to-back days. For example, say you're doing a lot of back exercises on Monday (rows, reverse flies, trunk extensions), then on Tuesday you should do a different group of the body (legs, arms). If you do arms back-to-back, then shoot to do PUSHERS on one day and PULLERS on another.

There are a lot of great fitness apps out there (Women's Health has one, I think it's free) so that you can just follow along on programs that trainers have put together.

You are correct in reading that muscles need 48 hours to repair themselves after being worked to fatigue. A good rule of thumb is, if it's sore, work something else. Good for you for doing resistance work!

Cheers,
    Megan (Doctor of Physical Therapy)
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    You're probably okay since it's not that intense of a routine. If it becomes much more than that though you may want to isolate certain body parts each day.
  • nicola8989
    nicola8989 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Thank you Megan - I work my entire body in the day - I like to combine squats with shoulder presses, lunges with bicep curls etc, as I don't have much time
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Nicola, this shouldn't be a problem as long as you aren't training the same muscle groups on back-to-back days.

^This

I lift 5x a week - 2 Upper Body workouts, 1 Arm workout (yes I have a workout dedicated to Arms :bigsmile: ), Heavy Legs Workout and a Squat Workout. The other big key besides not working a muscle group on back to back days is RECOVERY - making sure you get adequate rest (sleep) and you're eating right (enough calories for recovery and to fuel your workouts)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    6kg?

You could probably do that 2x a day, 8 days a week and be fine.
  • nicola8989
    nicola8989 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, yes I thought 6kg isn't much to worry about - my handbag probably weighs more!!

In terms of recovery - how many calories should I be eating? I'm around 1500-1700 at the minute, lots of protein and at the weekends I eat my TDEE which is 2500

ETA: when I get into the heavier weights though I'll start doing leg day, upper body day etc I think
  • pikselinka
    pikselinka Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I do Strength Training 7x a week. It's all good.
  • solarpower03
    solarpower03 Posts: 12,160 Member
    Options
    I lift everyday but 1 group of muscles
  • Adaniel65
    Adaniel65 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I strength train 5 - 6 Xs per week and have had no issues with my weighloss etc.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I strength train 3-4 times a week (every other day) and I always work different muscle groups each time.

Works for me.
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I strength train twice weekly when lifting weights, and my routines are basic but intense - see below...
    kefywrsmz7lt.png

- I need time to fully recover.
  • dbmata
    Options
    nicola8989 wrote: »
    I'm strength training 4x a week, occasionally 3x a week, for about half an hour during my lunch break. I only lift 6kg weights and do bodyweight exercises e.g. push-ups and squats.

I've seen a lot of info saying to rest for 48 hours between strength training - I tend to do mine Tuesday - Friday though, then cardio at the weekend.

Will this put too much strain on my muscles and/or hinder my weight loss? Like I say I'm only lifting 6kg although I will build up as I get stronger.

Naw, if you're doing that, you're fine and could probably do it daily after a couple weeks of working with those weights.

I'm working 3-5x a week strength training and constantly at my upper limits. Considering my age, my recovery isnt too quick, but it's not killing me to keep up that load of time.
  • dbmata
    Options
    50sFit wrote: »
    I strength train twice weekly when lifting weights, and my routines are basic but intense - see below...
    kefywrsmz7lt.png

- I need time to fully recover.
    Nice dl, I don't think I could do that weight at a close grip.
  • Sutnak
    Sutnak Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    6kg? That likely isnt' strength training at all. Knock yourself out.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    There's no problem with training 4x week as others have mentioned. The thing to think about is what are your goals and how is training 4 days versus 3-days, versus 5 days going to help get you there? If you're going to train 4-days per week just find a structured program that will help you achieve your goals. Because you're asking a basic question like this, it would probably be ineffective for you to put together your own plan; use something that is successful and proven.

Edit: Remember, weight loss should not be a strength-training goal. Strength-training can help augment weight-loss but cannot help you lose weight by itself unless your nutrition plan supports healthy weight loss.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with training 4x a week even if you are lifting hard, heavy and with high volume. You are trying to cause an adaptation to lifting so you need to do it enough to disrupt homeostasis or you will not adapt and get stronger or build muscle. The routine you are doing I wouldn't even call strength training, honestly. There's nothing wrong with what you are doing, it is just very low weight and not much volume at all. You are not even close to over doing it with the routine you posted.