what am I supposed to do with coconut oil?

Options
2»

Replies

• runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    Why would you buy a "giant tub" of something without knowing what you were going to do with it?

That's OK that she has bought now. No big deal when it comes to coconut oil. - it won't go waste trust me if she follows the advice people have given her.
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    Aside from entirely replacing vegetable/olive oil with coconut oil for cooking...

I use it to make my own sugar scrubs, to put tea tree oil in if I need to use it for a treatment (on a cut, breakout, or anything fungal), and have used it as a hair conditioning treatment. There are literally like a million and one uses if you google it.

I wouldn't replace oils in baking, though, since that's more of a chemistry game. Unless you find a recipe that says it's okay to substitute or you look into it first, I can't guarantee how that will turn out.

I prefer coconut oil because it has kind of a nutty, deep taste when you cook it. It's quite good with chicken.

tumblr_m9zcp7IbIU1rbzdkmo1_400.gif

tumblr_inline_mtru2qAWCy1r5wjlq.gif
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    My wife used to drink 'bulletproof coffee'. Now that she seems to be off that kick, I rub it into my beard. The coconut oil that is. Not the coffee.
  • jamieben1824
    jamieben1824 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    My wife used to drink 'bulletproof coffee'. Now that she seems to be off that kick, I rub it into my beard. The coconut oil that is. Not the coffee.

HAHA! yes I plan to buy some too for my hair, and maybe my Bf's beard too! Love the idea. He is on a growing spree. :/
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

Pics.
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I bought a giant tub of coconut oil, and now I have no idea what to do with it.
    Please advise.
    OMG so many naughty possibilities....
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    It can be used for cooking, body scrubs, moisturizers for body and hair and (ahem) other things. EFA Gold is my favorite.
  • shrinkingshreya
    shrinkingshreya Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I don't use it for consumption even though it has some great nutritional aspects to it.

I use it everyday on my hair and skin, my hair is thinning in the front so I rub it into my scalp and on my ends before I go to sleep at night and wash it out in the morning it's really made a difference in my hair.

I also use it as a moisturizer on my face and skin.

A word of advice though it is very, very rich so you only need a little if you are using it on your hair or body.
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I use it in baking to replace solid fats like butter or shortening. It's great in banana muffins; they have an even better, slightly tropical flavor.
  • monicastricker9
    Options
    you can do almost anything with coconut oil. It can be used to cook with as it be heated to a higher temp before it burns. It does not flavor what you cook in it. Whether its baking or cooking on the stove or grilling. You can mix it into water or coffee to drink. Add to smoothies really anything you can make. It can be used as a conditioner a lotion, base for toothpaste. Mix with sea salt for a scrub. It has a variety of uses. There are a ton of organic resources on the web that you can reference for them. I use it for all of the above.
  • KrzyGal
    KrzyGal Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I keep reading beneficial things with coconut oil yet still need to buy some. When I went out to buy it, I wasn't quite sure what to get and it's not on the cheaper side so I did more homework...plus read this thread. I'll be buying some this weekend! I didn't realize people use it for lotion, hair, and cooking! Definitely looking for recipes!
  • CarveH20
    Options
    use it as a daily moisturizer
  • ARWashington2306
    Options
    My husband and I use it for sex. It's a great lubricant
  • Eabec
    Eabec Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    OIL PULLING - - great antiseptic for the mouth, strengthens teeth, heals gums, acts as floss and whitener. Swish 20 minutes before brushing, spit in track. Ancient medicine.

Or pulling other things, I'm sure.
  • hmhalleck
    hmhalleck Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I use it all the time....i sub it for other oil in all of my baking, and i use it for saute'ing too.
    I also really like adding a spoon of it to my oatmeal in the morning :) YUM!